Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Nobles? In -my- Mountainhome?  (Read 1492 times)

vytros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Goblin Nobles? In -my- Mountainhome?
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:06:21 am »

Hey all! I'm a noob when it comes to Dwarf Fortress, I played a bit of the 2012 version but after a bit of frustration at diminishing plump helmet stocks I quit. I came back for the 2014 update, and my second world that I've created, I've noticed something strange in the "Civilizations" page in Dwarf mode.

Is this a new feature in Dwarf Fortress? Can other races be part of the mountainhomes, AND be nobles as well? I didn't take a picture of that sadly, but I even had the LIASON of my mountainhome come in, and it was a goblin, by icon and description as well, only his name was dwarven, and my expedition leader actually conducted a meeting with him. Did my dwarven ancestors adopt goblins or what?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Nobles? In -my- Mountainhome?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:17:33 am »

Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

vytros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:30:47 am »

Ooh, I see. Sorry, I'm not that well versed in the various happenings of Dwarf Fortress yet. But hey, it's quite amazing that such things happen. :D

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:43:21 am »

Every important member of my parent civ is a goblin in my current fort.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »

Also, goblins tend not to die out dut to no old age and can often dominate other civs
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 03:28:32 pm »

Let alone the goddamn goblin mountainhome fort liason... THat had me confused for a while.

Also, other civs can have this happen. Twice now, in different forts and different worlds, I've had the human liason be a vampire human liason. I'm told they make particularly good diplomats, but I tend to find it totally freaky when they, for some reason, insist on waiting by my mayors bed for his attention on a diplomatic matter. I whinged about it  over here...

All in all, it's very Terry Pratchett, somehow. "Aren't you a little tall to be a dwarf?" 
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!