Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress for the BLind: Advice sought  (Read 56412 times)

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress for the BLind: Advice sought
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2016, 05:19:25 pm »

So I found an old, barely-supported Linux screen reader called YASR. It's hardly ideal, but it at least reads more of the characters than my default one does. It calls some walls in adventure mode "A-Circumflex." I'm not sure if that's accurate or just because it doesn't know how to pronounce their actual symbol.

The fundamental problems still remain, namely that the terminal cursor doesn't follow my character/the game cursor very well. This is of course pretty specific to Print_Mode:Text. the regular SDL is still unusable.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2016, 06:06:12 pm »

i never palyed this game without a graphicset, so i can't tell you what an A-Circonflex represents, but it's an A with a Circonflex (the small "roof") above.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »

It's "Circumflex", not "Circonflex".

I suspect that's showing up because your graphics set changes some stones to use that tile, which obviously doesn't work in PRINT_MODE:TEXT. Unless you're using a plain ASCII tileset, in which case I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe a screenshot would help in that case (not sure quite how hard that is).

Anyway, I was just thinking about the logging script I started back when this thread was active. Unfortunately, I haven't made much progress due to other work on DFHack - it's taking a lot of time to get the 64-bit version working.

Did you ever test that script, by the way? (It's "acclog.lua", linked above or here (raw version)). It looks like it just supports the title and options screens for now. I'm not sure how useful logging to a text file is, so let me know if there's a way to improve that.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2016, 10:16:07 am »

Hey Lethosor,

I just tested your script on OS X, which is where my only really reliable DFHack installation can be found. I could probably get it working under linux, but just need to put in the effort.

My instinct was to run "tail -f acclog.txt | say", which would have sent each line of the script to the Mac speech system as it came in. I'm not sure if it's a failure in the way the script writes its info, or what. At any rate, I heard no speech when trying this.

I confirmed that it is indeed adding new information to the end of the file with every arrow key press. Also, "say", on its own, accepts lines from the keyboard and says them with each press of Enter.

So this isn't a very encouraging start, but I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm 99% sure it isn't on your end though.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2016, 10:26:38 am »

well, i only know that one from french classes and they call it that way :P
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2016, 10:50:26 am »

This is an amazing thread--and this post of mine is more for notification because I've been trying to find details and advice on this matter (for me and for my friends because inclusivity is an awesome thing I love seeing happen in more and more areas). Just a tiny PTW here. :)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2016, 11:25:25 am »

My instinct was to run "tail -f acclog.txt | say", which would have sent each line of the script to the Mac speech system as it came in. I'm not sure if it's a failure in the way the script writes its info, or what. At any rate, I heard no speech when trying this.
Yeah, it's buffered. I think once 4 KB of text gets written to the file, it'll be spoken all at once. Obviously that's not very useful. :)

Try this:
Code: [Select]
tail -f acclog.txt | while read line; do echo $line | say; done

well, i only know that one from french classes and they call it that way :P
Sure enough, that's what it is in French. Whoops.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:32:12 am by lethosor »

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2016, 11:37:39 am »

Thanks, Lethosor! That works as I'd expect, more or less.

It may just be a peculiarity of my setup, but I seem to move directly from "Object Testing Arena," to "Continue playing," with no "exit," option. I wonder if something weird is going on with the keyboard.

At any rate, the text is read properly, which is an excellent proof of concept, at least for the menus.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2016, 01:23:27 pm »

That's weird. What if you move up from "Continue playing"?

Anyway, one thing I noticed was that navigating the menus too quickly causes all of the intermediate options to be spoken, which takes some time. How much of an issue is that? I could try changing the script to call "say" or something else directly, which would allow it to cancel excessive lines.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2016, 01:31:43 pm »

That's weird. What if you move up from "Continue playing"?

Anyway, one thing I noticed was that navigating the menus too quickly causes all of the intermediate options to be spoken, which takes some time. How much of an issue is that? I could try changing the script to call "say" or something else directly, which would allow it to cancel excessive lines.

Nope, moving up gets me straight to "Objec Testing Arena." This is using ordinary OS X arrow keys, if that matters—don't have a number pad regularly set up on this Macbook Air.

Also odd, "Continue playing," and "Start playing," are showing up on the same screen. I could have sworn they were mutually exclusive. I haven't noticed any problems with taking too long to speak, for what that's worth, though for practical use calling a speech system directly is probably better longterm.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2016, 01:37:27 pm »

"Continue playing" appears if you have at least one world with an active game.
"Start playing" occurs if you have at least one world that is generated but has no active game.

If you have more than one world generated, both can appear.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2016, 01:42:59 pm »

Huh. I erased the data/save directory, just to be sure. I shouldn't have worlds of any kind.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2016, 03:17:11 pm »

That would be my fault. Basically, the menu items on that screen are represented by IDs stored in a list (where 0 = Continue playing, 1 = Start playing, etc.). Instead of translating IDs to descriptions properly, the script is translating the cursor position to a description instead (0 = first item, 1 = second item), which only works if all possible menu items are present.

Edit: okay, try re-downloading the script.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:23:36 pm by lethosor »

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »

Ahh.

This works as I'd expect now, thanks for the quick fix. :)

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:10 am »

Hey All,

Sorry for the double post. This is perhaps more applicable to Adventure mOde, but I wanted to pass along this link. It's a more traditional roguelike which has been modded to be much more accessible to the blind.

I don't know how much sound/speech ability we get with mods for DF, but it's at least a thing to demonstrate the possibilities. :)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17