Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers and Relationships  (Read 1275 times)

ASimpleBoneFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers and Relationships
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:54:36 am »

Hi! I don't post here very much because most of my questions end up answered in some long and drawn out science thread (You know, the ones where people do horrible things to dorfs.) But uh, I'm curious. Does anyone know why it's impossible for soldiers to form any kind of relationships with their squad mates? I've always liked to imagine that my military is a band of brothers (or sisters) but looking in relationships you find that the person they've been sparring with every day for 3 years is a complete stranger to them. Is this a thing that's getting changed eventually or something that there's a fix for? I know it's a small detail but it drives me crazy..

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers and Relationships
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:13:50 pm »

Dwarfs tend form their relationships in their freetime. And Sparring aint freetime for them.
Yes, they think like that.

EvilJapYaY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:35 am »

Well, if you want your soldiers to be friends, you can simply use burrows or lock them in a room when inactive. I dont think it would good idea because losing friends can cause lots of negative thoughts.
Jaa

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:32:36 pm »

Well, if you want your soldiers to be friends, you can simply use burrows or lock them in a room when inactive. I dont think it would good idea because losing friends can cause lots of negative thoughts.

Ya tightnit 10 dwarf squad who lives together eats together and are BFF forever.  2 die in battle.  the other 8 go batshit crazy due to loosing friends and wipe out half the fortress before they are put down.  The resulting death causes the remains to spiral.  Most definitely keep those guys acquaintances or lower if at all possible.  Sanity issues in the military are bad.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:44:43 pm »

Giving everyone in the squad their own excellent tomb can help a great deal with the tantrum-spiral-due-to-friend-death thing. They will then not only have a good place to mourn (With a lockable door!) but they will feel better about their friend being well looked after, I've found...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!