Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will my Hydras Breed?  (Read 1100 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will my Hydras Breed?
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:45:15 pm »

I managed to catch a female hydra in the 2nd year of the fort, and a male hydra in the 15th year. They've both been masterfully trained by my legendary animal trainer. If I stick them together in a room, will they actually breed more hydras (hydrae?)? It would be cool to have those as fortress guards. The wiki says they are breeding, but I've read that megabeasts don't breed except for Rocs. But I'm not sure if that's old information now.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Will my Hydras Breed?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:53:22 pm »

It's old information. They will breed. Oddly, despite being a reptile, they don't lay eggs. Just leave them separate, they can breed on opposite ends of the map.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:39:41 pm »

Assuming you're playing a recent v0.40.x build, there should be a roughly 60% chance they'll breed (lowered primarily by a potential unwillingness to marry). You can use DFHack to check if they are compatible, and fixster (a DFHack script) to make them compatible if you like.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:36:15 pm »

How do I check to see if they are compatible? I have Dfhack with the Lazy Newb Pack, but I don't know how to use it.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:29 pm »

If you have Dwarf Therapist, you can fire that up to see the sexual preferences of your hydras.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.