Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the subject of Undead sieges  (Read 1135 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
On the subject of Undead sieges
« on: October 26, 2014, 02:17:49 pm »

So, at the beginning of my new fort's first Autumn, I was notified that "The enemy have come and are laying siege to the fortress!" I looked  at the entry point and found one animated corpse, which soon disapeared. Is this an undead siege, and if so will they leave and how quickly if they will?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
Re: On the subject of Undead sieges
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:51:32 pm »

It sounds like it already did. Is the siege indicator at the top of the screen gone? Do you have any undead in the "other" unit list? If you're still under siege and don't see any zombies, you probably have some necromancers sneaking around. My experience is that they run away when detected, so you could try drafting someone and have them patrol around a bit.

Edit: that announcement is wrong though. When you get an undead siege you are notified that "The dead walk. Hide while you still can!". It might be a goblin siege and the animated corpse was just left over from evil weather or a non-siege necromancer.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:06:14 pm by Eidako »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 03:37:47 pm »

Yeah, it looks like it was some sort of glitch. The siege tag never even popped up, and I only saw one undead corpse, nothing else. Maybe it just walked off the map. It's wierd because it used the notification for a human siege, so something probably went wrong with the game.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »

Same happened to me, a sudden undead siege during the first year, that immediately disappeared...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:05:04 am »

I've had this happen as well, and with goblins too. I suspect they are moving armies that pass by the fort because they couldn't avoid it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:19:55 am »

Could also be that the guys leading the siege are infact alive and the zombies instantly try to kill them which leads to a loyalty cascade among them and they leave. Which means its tied to the fact that necromancers with thier zombies sometimes join civs/armies. (perhaps even related to when animals join armies and get ranks)
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...