Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 30459 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 08:30:44 pm »

Based on the same idea of god, sure. But I certainly don't worship Allah. Allah != Jehovah/Yahweh/Jesus/Whatever
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 08:35:46 pm »

To be fair, it's mostly a name/claimed acestory thing. Christians generally worship a sort of "The YWHW Formerly Known as YWHW" (which, y'know, isn't really YWHW YWHW, because there's this weird triple-threat thing going on), Jews worship YWHW who isn't "The YWHW/Allah Formerly Known as YWHW", and Islam's doing its own "Allah Formerly Known as YWHW" thing (Or, I guess, more of an "Allah, the Actual Name of YWHW" thing. I've forgotten the particulars, there). The statement that they're the same god is more of a PR/proselytizing/attempt-to-theologically-1up move than anything that's substantially true.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:38:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 08:38:20 pm »

They're all different gods. Yet another example of how Man makes the God, not God the Man.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 09:02:59 pm »

i was reading cracked and came across this awhile back. i think it fits the discussion.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18911_5-ridiculous-things-you-probably-believe-about-islam.html

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 09:30:55 pm »

i was reading cracked and came across this awhile back. i think it fits the discussion.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18911_5-ridiculous-things-you-probably-believe-about-islam.html

I like this article
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 12:25:49 am »

... yeah, I really don't actually care enough to go digging through the qur'an and muslim theology and whatnot to offer a position on the subject that

Ad hominem much? can't argue with facts so you try to attack the person?

Ill just remind anyone reading this response to go and read the quran, like, you know, i have.

what. wait what. no. burning pet...what.

Okay, okay, okay. First of all, Muhammad didn't preach anything like that. Here's what they thought about Christians and Jews.

Second of all...what. Can you quote me a passage from the Quran/Qu'ran/Koran that says that?

And third of all...that's not even close to what jihad means. Jihad is a struggle against evil. In defense.

A struggle against evil, in defense, hmm, is that why muhammad and his later successors proceeded to conquer the middle east, north africa, india and europe?

Lets start with just two small examples, because really, i don't have the time nor interest in proving something which is so obvious.
"O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people."

"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good). "

"And when you call to prayer, they (people of the scripture) take it in ridicule and amusement. That is because they are a people who do not use reason."

I really recommend people to go read the Quran, because a specific verse here and there is not enough. you need to read it entirely and witness it for what it actually is.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:33:34 am by burningpet »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 12:29:16 am »

I don't suppose you could provide a general summary for us?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 12:33:07 am »

did the christianity thread get locked, or are we broadening our horizons?

I wanted to add other religions to it but people didn't like that so I opened this one up

Citation needed? According to the poll, many more liked the idea than disliked it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 12:53:41 am »

pee tee dubs

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:30 am »

did the christianity thread get locked, or are we broadening our horizons?

I wanted to add other religions to it but people didn't like that so I opened this one up

Citation needed? According to the poll, many more liked the idea than disliked it.

I meant a couple people strongly disliked the idea and I saw where they were coming from so I just did this as a compromise

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 01:10:25 pm »

Abrahamic religions include Judeism, Christianity, Islam

...Druze, Bahai, Regla de Ocha, Sufiism....
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »

...Druze, Bahai, Sufiism....

We could list off every denomination of Judaism, Christianity and Islam in the same mention of Abrahamic followers too, but we stick to the main branches when referring to Abrahamic Religions to keep it from being an endless list of denominations.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »

...Druze, Bahai, Sufiism....

We could list off every denomination of Judaism, Christianity and Islam in the same mention of Abrahamic followers too, but we stick to the main branches when referring to Abrahamic Religions to keep it from being an endless list of denominations.

IIRC the official position of the leaders of the Bahai Faith is that it is not a denomination of any of those faiths.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 02:35:17 pm »

there the OP is changed to just include everything not under those three

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »

IIRC the official position of the leaders of the Bahai Faith is that it is not a denomination of any of those faiths.

It's a combination of all three.

Why not add Calvinism, Protestantism, Coptic Christendom to the list as well? Those have as much widespread influence and followers than the Bahai or Sufis.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:08:52 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26