Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 30461 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 06:07:39 pm »

Why and when did Muslims and Christians fought each other? Considering the fact they both believe in the same god. This one always bugged me.

Because the Muslims had a lot of wealth and the Christians wanted it. In fact you wouldn't think it now, but the middle east used to have an almost endless golden age.

In spite of what you hear in the rhetoric that religion is the cause of all war... It usually is just an excuse for much more simple reasons.

Oh, I knew it was an excuse. I was just curious about what started the aggression between common people.

I definitely wouldn't call them "the same god", though.

except, it definitely is the same god. Both faiths( 3 with judaism) worship the god of Abraham. The way they worship it in different ways and disagree strongly on prophets and messages. But they are all about the same entity.

Yeah. When you look at Europe and Middle East nowadays and in Medieval times, it definitely doesn't seem like the same God. Some of the things the trio disagrees on can be incredibly trivial when looked at from a very outside perspective.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 06:25:41 pm »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 06:44:13 pm »

Why and when did Muslims and Christians fought each other? Considering the fact they both believe in the same god. This one always bugged me.

Its because muhammad preached and ordered muslims to not trust jews and christians, that they don't think straight and that allah will punish those who are allied with them wicked beings who walk in error. he then moved on to call us apes and swines (although, some think the apes and swines curses are only for the jews, but in the context, i think it describing christians as well) all while preaching to form a jihad against non-believers (which he defined christians and jews as non-believers) and ordered to conquer and subdue them and burn in flame all those who disbelieve in allah and his messenger.

This is all written in the Quran, so not even the muslims can deny this. its a fact. the "Endless golden age" and "Crusades were only for stealing the muslims riches" however, are historic opinions which are still being debated by historians.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 07:04:10 pm »

Because the Muslims had a lot of wealth and the Christians wanted it. In fact you wouldn't think it now, but the middle east used to have an almost endless golden age.

In spite of what you hear in the rhetoric that religion is the cause of all war... It usually is just an excuse for much more simple reasons.
Religion in general seems to be the rallying cry for many wars that are mostly economic in nature.  Economics is something that only the trained understand, but you can rally the masses behind religion with ridiculous ease.  It has been seen again and again: those who are hardline about their religion will do anything to defend it.  This applies beyond the abrahamic traditions to any religion that's existed more than about 200-300 years.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »

... yeah, I really don't actually care enough to go digging through the qur'an and muslim theology and whatnot to offer a position on the subject that isn't "slavering israeli islamophobe". So I'll just kind of idly remind anyone looking at just about anything BP has and/or will say on the subject of islam that the vast majority of muslim individuals -- and, indeed, countries -- have been no more or less intolerant of their neighbors (regardless of their religious inclinations) than basically anyone else. Especially in relation to countries in similar sociopolitical situations.

As any even remotely learned follower of an abrahamic religion will tell you, which parts do and do not get followed, to what extent, and under what interpretations and contexts, vary radically with time, culture, and so on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 07:06:35 pm »

Its because muhammad preached and ordered muslims to not trust jews and christians, that they don't think straight and that allah will punish those who are allied with them wicked beings who walk in error. he then moved on to call us apes and swines (although, some think the apes and swines curses are only for the jews, but in the context, i think it describing christians as well) all while preaching to form a jihad against non-believers (which he defined christians and jews as non-believers) and ordered to conquer and subdue them and burn in flame all those who disbelieve in allah and his messenger.

This is all written in the Quran, so not even the muslims can deny this. its a fact. the "Endless golden age" and "Crusades were only for stealing the muslims riches" however, are historic opinions which are still being debated by historians.
What?

That entire first paragraph is actually highly untrue.

I don't have time to point out all of the fallacies in it right now, but rest assured that I will be back (if someone doesn't beat me to it).

... yeah, I really don't actually care enough to go digging through the qur'an and muslim theology and whatnot to offer a position on the subject that isn't "slavering israeli islamophobe". So I'll just kind of idly remind anyone looking at just about anything BP has and/or will say on the subject of islam that the vast majority of muslim individuals -- and, indeed, countries -- have been no more or less intolerant of their neighbors (regardless of their religious inclinations) than basically anyone else. Especially in relation to countries in similar sociopolitical situations.

As any even remotely learned follower of an abrahamic religion will tell you, which parts do and do not get followed, to what extent, and under what interpretations and contexts, vary radically with time, culture, and so on.
This.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 07:23:21 pm »

Nice to see that this thread didn't immediately crash and burn
Nice work guys
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 07:31:14 pm »

Ptw
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 07:42:06 pm »

except, it definitely is the same god. Both faiths( 3 with judaism) worship the god of Abraham. The way they worship it in different ways and disagree strongly on prophets and messages. But they are all about the same entity.
They are in theory the same God, though Mohammad made several contradictions to the Bible when he was preaching his Koran. The Moslem faith, therefore, has a very distorted image of God.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 07:43:00 pm »

what. wait what. no. burning pet...what.

Okay, okay, okay. First of all, Muhammad didn't preach anything like that. Here's what they thought about Christians and Jews.

Second of all...what. Can you quote me a passage from the Quran/Qu'ran/Koran that says that?

And third of all...that's not even close to what jihad means. Jihad is a struggle against evil. In defense.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 07:45:21 pm »

They are in theory the same God, though Mohammad made several contradictions to the Bible when he was preaching his Koran. The Moslem faith, therefore, has a very distorted image of God.
*coughs*

No value judgements.  Perhaps you meant to use the word "different".

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 07:51:31 pm »

ptw

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 07:53:54 pm »

PTW
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 08:00:39 pm »

*coughs*

No value judgements.  Perhaps you meant to use the word "different".
Perhaps it's best that I just leave.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 08:24:14 pm »

Ya they all share the same god just different prophets and teachings and interpretations
Though said god is kinda different for each religion
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26