Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: DnD3.5 A Cold Beginning [5/5] OOC - waitlisting  (Read 18396 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
DnD3.5 A Cold Beginning [5/5] OOC - waitlisting
« on: October 25, 2014, 11:50:58 pm »

IC THREAD

A long, long time ago...

Far beneath the earth, a forgotten temple still rang with the echoes of battle. Among the corpses of monsters and men both, two people alone clung to the most tenuous threads of life.
He coughed and groaned, shifting slightly where he was propped against a cracked stone pillar. He'd left a trail of blood from where a claw had pinned him briefly to the aged rock. She groaned back in response, lying on her side in a puddle of crimson, a leg reduced to a bloody stump.
“I'm dying.” He said. His voice was a smooth baritone, made ragged and wheezy by his ruptured organs.
“Me too,” she responded, her voice high and strung with pain, and for a moment the only sound was the faded echoes of screams and steel.
“It was a damn good fight.”
“It was,” she agreed.

There was the grinding of metal as he tried to shift to have her in his sight, and he tumbled from his prop against the column with a clatter of damaged iron platemail and a gasp of pain. She opened her eyes at the sound, the lids heavy and unresponsive. She smiled, though he could not see it in the gloom. Most of the light-orbs had shattered in the fighting or fallen to the predations of passing eras.

“Do we do it?” her words joined the echoes of the ancient chamber.
“Yeah,” he grunted, twitching towards her. He reached out a shaking hand, and ignoring the spikes of agony she felt she took it in her own.
“The Key...?”
“More broken than me.”
They both snorted with laughter, and hissed at the pain, him even more so than her. The echoes were dying away now, and they listened to the sounds of death that still bounced from the crystal-studded walls.

“No-one's ever going to know, are they?” she said. It wasn't a question.
“They don't need to. It was...” he drew in a shallow scrap of a breath, “...it was done. That is enough. Besides, we'll know.”
“Not much good that does.”
He tried to shake his head, managing little more than a twitch.
“No. Next time. We'll meet again.”
She didn't reply, but the taciturn woman managed to exude a questioning air.
“Next life,” He grinned, teeth glinting red in the darkness, “or the one after. Never could stay away from you.”
“Then we'll meet again,” she said.
“Aye.”
“Then I am content.” The echoes had faded away, the silence creeping in like a shroud on the two souls. He opened his mouth to speak, but she beat him to it.
“I love you.”
“I love you too. Until next time,” he said, and died.
She lay in the dark, her vital liquids still pooling slowly around her. As the shadow of death engulfed her, she smiled, and held his hand.

Thus the world was doomed.

The gods used to walk the world. Evil and Good had an allegiance – balance was maintained between them. Twelve chosen champions called Icons were elevated to demi-godhood. For centuries, they held the world unchanging. For many, it was a golden age.

Until the Schism.

After a unknown tragedy befell her, the first and greatest of the champions turned against her heavenly masters. Champion fought against champion – those who turned with her are the Fallen, while the six Icons who opposed them became known as the Saints. When the conflict was done, though, the Fallen were victorious – and their foul plans came into motion. God after god was murdered, and the First someone took the power of each in turn, becoming a swirling mass of power and rage.

Seeing they stood no chance against the First in battle, the gods sealed the thing the First had become inside the Weeping Mountain, far behind the Dreaming Wall. Locked away, the First is little more than an ancient force of howling hatred and seeping malignancy, and patiently awaits a crack in it's prison. The efforts of the gods are all directed towards keeping it sealed, and they no longer concern themselves with the deeds of men.

Instead, the twelve Icons now take the worship of the mortal masses. Where before, they strived to maintain the world order, now the Saints battle for control against the Fallen, who have risen to godhood through the dark powers of the First. The Saints have been resurrected and ascended by the few gods who remain.

The cycle of rebirth that powers the word is cracking, and the dead rise in the night. Impossible monsters from beyond the Dreaming Wall are appearing in ever greater numbers, destroying and defiling whatever they find. The world teeters on the edge of a knife.

Within this time of upheaval, a small party of five find themselves caught up in events. In the human kingdom of Lakinium, they arrive at the city of Kolos, a bare hundred miles from the Dreaming Wall. Having travelled for a while, they decided to follow a old tale of treasure - a nearby cave that held a temple to the Bird-Eater. Destroyed by the Blue Crow order, rumour has it the Crows left any treasure behind... and with jobs scarce, even for mercenaries, you decide it's better than a growling belly.

Ye Gods

For the most part, the gods themselves are not invoked. The worship of the masses is instead diverted onto the Icons. The gods, after nearly a thousand years, are nearly forgotten. Some palces have forgotten them, and worship the Icons as creators. Feel free to make up gods or names for the Icons – they were known by many things. These are just their most common titles.

Spoiler: The Icons (click to show/hide)

Locations of Note

Just a few places. Feel free to invent more. It's worthing noting this world is tilted opposite to Earth - the south has a cooler climate, the Northern continent being blistered desert for the most part.

Spoiler: A few relevant (click to show/hide)

Basic rules

Level 1.
28-Point buy or roll your stats. You decide. I'd prefer if you rolled.
Link me to the stuff like templates and the more exotic feats. I use online resources for the most part, so you aren't limited by books, but I don't exactly know all the things from heart, either. I'll consider homebrew, but do it in good faith – I'm new at this.
Free LA for lower tiers, but consider it offset by one – tier 3 get one LA, etc, because...
no tier ones. At least, not without a good reason.
Don't minmax, please.
Five players.
Evil characters are fine, as long as you don't play them Stupid Evil. In fact, don't play a character Stupid Anything.

Not first come first serve - I'll be taking the most interesting characters. There'll be a few more details in the following post, which will be up in eight hours or so.

Got any questions? Let me hear 'em.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:26:34 am by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: DnD3.5 A Cold Beginning [0/5] OOC
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:54:56 pm »

Reserved.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:00:21 am »

Can I make a character who is good if they're class is evil?

I've been wanting to try it for a while now...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:06:46 am »

Starting gold?

EDIT: Sans starting gold totals (placeholder of -cash), backstory, and stuff like that, have James Bond.

If you're not cool with him, I have a spare nuke-sorcerer.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:13:54 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:11:11 am »

I'll likely be in as a Sorcoreress/Bard who is obsessed with her story more than anything else. She behaves righteously and just and all that but underneath she does it only for recognition. She wants tales of her deeds to be passed down through the ages.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 12:36:00 am »

Actually, I'm more in the mood for a sorcerer. Meet Robin Toma, the currently soulless blaster.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:40:53 am »

I rolled as per the instructions in the OP... It didn't go well... I have +3 Ability mod... Total... -1, +1, +1, +1, +1, 0... Sorta over-ruled sorceror... So now I'll go with a ranged Dragon Shaman.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:42:14 am »

I can see that you are to the Dragon Shaman as I am to the sorcerer. :P

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 12:43:31 am »

Um... I never really thought about it before but...

What does the tiers thing mean? I see it pop up from time to time and I can only assume it's related to classes.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 12:45:08 am »

Look at those modifiers Tawa... I wanted, desperately, to do the Sorc/Bard thing. BUT no caster option was available to me so I went with what I love.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 12:51:12 am »

To be fair, there are a lot of problems with rolling, hence the reason I never used it.

What does the tiers thing mean? I see it pop up from time to time and I can only assume it's related to classes.
It refers to how good a class is. Wizard is 1 with clerics and druids, sorcerer is 2, bard is 3, rogue, ranger, and barbarian are 4, and fighter, monk, and paladin are 5. Experts and Adepts are a little higher on the list than the other NPC classes.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:08 am »

28-Point buy or roll your stats. You decide. I'd prefer if you rolled.
What roll scale?

It refers to how good a class is. Wizard is 1 with clerics and druids, sorcerer is 2, bard is 3, rogue, ranger, and barbarian are 4, and fighter, monk, and paladin are 5. Experts and Adepts are a little higher on the list than the other NPC classes.
No, no it doesn't. It refers to how a class ranks on the scales of versatility and raw power.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:49 am »

O... kay.

For crunchy bits, that's how good a class is.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 01:12:51 am »

O... kay.

For crunchy bits, that's how good a class is.
If you define "good" as "powerful" then sure, it measures how "good" they are. Of course, if that's your measure of "good" you'll need to shuffle some class tiers, because Paladins have easiest access to Candle of Invocation.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15