Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dehydrating dwarves  (Read 1624 times)

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dehydrating dwarves
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:14:36 pm »

I just had a dwarf randomly dehydrate and die on me.
He was collecting webs in the caverns or something, and I had seen him standing there with "Drink" as his job for quite a while.  He never went to get his drink and eventually just died there.  No idea why.  No injuries, not in the combat log, nothing.

I decided to check the health screen in therapist and see if there's anybody else around who is starving or dehydrated and found two more dwarves just sort of hanging out, starving.

There are no burrows in effect, no restrictions of any kind.  None of them are visibly injured and there is no combat log for any of them, so i don't htink they have undiagnosed injuries preventing movement

Ideas?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dehydrating dwarves
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »

Are you absolutely certain that they have a clear path back to where the food and drink is -- that one wrong square or ramp didn't get dug somewhere, cutting off their way back?

If the AI can't path to somewhere, it doesn't go as far as it can and then stop -- it just doesn't move at all.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:16 pm »

yeah, I'm sure.  They're in different areas of the fort, and other dwarves are pathing right by them with no problems.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:50:44 pm »

I've had this bug quite a bit - it's more pronounced with military dwarves. It's gotten to the point that I just refuse to breach the caverns and if I do, to just seal them off completely. One way to fix it is to use dfhack to dump 7/7 water on them until they 'dodge' away and walk as normal.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:50:11 pm »

If you have a well try destroying it, I have had this happen when I build a well sometimes.  (Although im not 100% sure it hasnt been fixe)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:14:34 am »

You can quickly check it by trying to build something like a bed there if your furnitures are stored in the same area as your drinks.
If there's no path the crosshair will become purple.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:55:23 pm »

I tried to shock one of them out of it with dfhack liquids and drop water on his head.  He was outside, on the side of a mountain and I forgot to check the temperature outside.  He's now a dwarfcicle, so I guess that sort of solves the "won't eat" problem.

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:41:26 pm »

I almost lost a legendary hammerdorf once because of this. Luckily I've noticed her dehydration in time.

Try causing a cave-in nearby if it happens again.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:17:42 am »

I've had this as well. Sometimes it can be cured by making the confused dwarf part of a military squad and stationing them somewhere although that doesn't always work.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 09:52:30 pm »

I thought I was experiencing the same problem... then I realised I'd floored in a bloke who went on break in the lower catacombs. Oops.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!