Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your longest fort?  (Read 3152 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Your longest fort?
« on: October 25, 2014, 01:27:15 pm »

What was your longest lasting fort? How successful was it? What killed it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what was your longest runner? If you can remember details, please tell.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Your longest fort?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:35:52 pm »

100 years in a fortress defense mod world genned to see how many units I could kill with awesome traps fort design while mega-projecting. Ended up being more of a temple of death worship to it's military commander and maximum uber-dwarf Kogsak from the starting seven who scored over 5000 kills before dying of old age in battle while soloing a couple concurrent sieges.
The fort is still impenetrable.

It helped that a spire-plugging mining accident teleported the entire clown car - still 'living' - into solid rock (without FPS loss!). The occasional wandering clown was never a match for even one member of the Deep Palisades.

My newer weasly-little forts just never satisfy anymore...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 02:43:24 pm »

Most of the clowns were metal, gem, or stone if I remember correctly. Ugh... The blood. It was everywhere.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 02:55:12 pm »

10 or 11 years. By the end it was just a zombie-survival bunker in the swamp; zombie sieges arrived in the early years and never stopped coming. Goblins would take a chunk out of them but eventually all get slaughtered, which meant even more zombies when the necromancers came along. There were probably over six hundred zombies outside at the end. But the fort just wouldn't die: I'm not much good at anything else fortress-mode but I can keep everyone happy and healthy forever. So I opened the front gates, sent out my five-man "military," and flooded the fortress.
Most fun was going back with an adventurer to collect all the masterwork adamantine/artifact stuff I had sealed away. Sneak past the remaining zombies, swim past the corpses of drowned dwarves, and escape from a snow demon on the way out (still don't know how I did that).
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 03:04:39 pm »

Ugh... Zombie sieges are the worst.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:38:30 am »

About 20-25 years on 34.11. It was a fort designed to be a sort of deep dwarf site. I colonized the first cave layer and only dug into existing cavern walls. Important dwarves would often receive fancy rooms carved in the the walls of open chasms or overlooking the water. Promotion was based on military prowess, so my Baroness was the mightiest warrior after about 10 years. I had an arena constructed for FB battling. The fort had about 250 dead dwarves and a lovely catacombs constructed for them. The collapse of the fort was due to a three-way failure. First, a webber brained the majority of my best melee dwarves, killing almost all of them before I could retreat. Second, a deadly dust or spittle FB managed to die in some important passages and caused a sort of epidemic due water contamination (i think) that killed off even more of my citizens. Finally, during a small tantrum spiral due to the previous problem, a flying fire breather managed to swim out of one of my cavern wells that drew water from the second or third cave layer. The resulting incineration left too few dwarves to continue, and the panic room that had saved the fort countless times was full of singed corpses. Fun times!

My longest fort on 40 is documented in one of Mimodo's threads somewhere. Surface fort that never really accomplished anything.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:56:10 am »

I ran an island fort in 31.25 for eighteen years, it survived three massive tantrum spirals, then actually survived a loyalty cascade.  I finally retired after my duchess was killed by a farmer throwing a tantrum, but I cleaned house first, atom smashing every loose stone and piece of garbage on the map.  I wanted to crack open HFS, but DF invariably crashed when I tried.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Fr1gid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 02:20:04 am »

I don't remember how long I ran my beautiful fort on the mountain side. It was right next to a volcano that was fueling all kinds of dwarfy things. I think it was the most properly build fortress I have ever made. It had everything you could want including a lava moat...

But that doesn't stop the legendary flying lizard mounted goblin siege. They got in and started mashing things up to the point of no return so I released the captured Minotaur and the waiting Forgotten Beast.....

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:05:27 am »

40 something years. Too much of that time wasted with hauling (goblinite) and cleaning all over the place, however. Also, I suffered FPS drain by FPS-inefficient layout and likely pathing issues (too much bumping and repathing going on).

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 05:14:02 am »

15 years or so in an glacier with only 15 dwarves. Made loads of wealth but few dwarves ever came due to its remoteness.

I rarely play more than 5 years in successful forts anyway.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, I saw the OP and I thought ...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 06:42:17 am »

So, I saw the OP and I thought "8 embark squares long". Lol.

(but only one wide)
()==[:::::::::::::>

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 08:34:36 am »

It's not the length of the embark, it's what you do to goblins with it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 12:10:10 pm »

Back in the old v0.28.181.40d version circa 2009, I started a fort with a handful of modded critters to make it a little harder and/or weirder. I also messed with worldgen to get some crazy-ass mountains, and my embark had two good-sized mountains and a hundred-story high peak + adjacent mesa.

I'd started digging into the western mountain to build a preliminary fort as a staging ground for a vast city inside the big mesa, when a pair of supersonic fire mantas showed up. They started a wildfire that burned four of my seven starting dwarves; only my two miners and a lucky farmer survived the first month.

By the first winter, the outlook was better; a migrant wave had brought me back up to a dozen dwarves or so, and my first artifact resulted in a uranium war hammer and a legendary weaponsmith. Then an arcane dragon hauled ass into my fort and ate half my dwarves, including the weaponsmith and one of the founding miners, and cornered the survivors in the kitchens. This would be the first of many of my forts that resulted in an early legendary weaponsmith dying before the end of the first year, but in any case the other miner (who was digging some stockpiles when the beast arrived) heroically dug a tunnel underneath its feet and brained it with a pick.

The dragonslaying miner was Vabok Silverycrafted, and he soon became the mayor of Tunnelwound. He married the founding farmer, Cilob (whose surname I once knew but no longer remember), and they presided over several prosperous years during which the population rose to nearly 200. Then the goblins came.

The militia was ill-trained and ill-prepared, and quickly fell against the hordes. A large swath of dwarves were slain, and it was only by the grace of a passing caravan that the goblins were driven away. The survivors descended into a tantrum spiral, and the population rapidly descended. The surviving Fortress Guard managed to lock up the worst offenders, possibly saving the fort from annihilation; unfortunately, Vabok the Dragonslayer was among the incarcerated, and with few dwarves remaining to feed and water them, he dehydrated in prison (this was before the health care update in DF2010). Of the founders, only Cilob remained, and she became the next mayor.

The goblin invasion was the third and final catastrophe of Tunnelwound. Never again would its fate lie at the hands of invaders. Under Cilob's reign, a new militia was formed, a wall was erected, and a new barracks was built at the southern gate to head off invaders. Meanwhile, a vast tower was built inside the eastern mountain, and several decades later, it was finally finished. The Hidden Fun Stuff below the southern mountain was tapped, and the hammer lord Sarvesh Gladnessglazes slew thirteen Hidden Fire Stuff with Triflelobster, the legendary uranium warhammer. Eventually I got tired of playing with an FPS less than 1 and I quit the fort in its fortieth year. DF2010 was released a couple days later, so that was good timing.

Fort pictures:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »

My last and longest running .34.11 fort was at well over 30 years when .40.01 came out. I still have the save somewhere but I don't think I'll play that one any further.

In that fort the caverns were sealed, the circus visited and sieges never lasted more than few seconds when the all-powerful militia lords reached them. Everyone was ecstatic all the time and there was enough roasts and booze for few hundred years. In theory that fort could have run indefinitely but there was really no point.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 02:40:07 pm »

Nice fort! I like the hanging cages.
Pages: [1] 2