Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: End of the World?  (Read 2861 times)

Meatshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
End of the World?
« on: October 24, 2014, 10:26:28 pm »

So I created a new world and generated it with 250 years of history and when I went to select an area to settle in, I found no neighbors other than dwarves. Now I looked around and there are no dwarven mountainhomes, elven retreats, or human hamlets anywhere. There's an evil tower (which I'm pretty sure is empty) and there are a few ruins. But again no neighbors. I looked at the legends, every dwarf, elf and human figure is dead. Most goblins, kobolds, and trolls are too. Only a few of them are alive, most of them vampires.

Now I have a theory of explanation, I set the world generation settings to have a very high number of beasts, low civilizations, low sites, and very high savagery. I guess since there were so few people and so many monsters, I've pushed sentient humanoids to a brink of extinction.

I am sure this is nothing too new, just thought I'd mention it...
Jarloth Steellungs is my current dwarf wrestler, who enjoys breaking everyone's knees and elbows and then working his way down from fingers to toes to ankles to wrists to arms to legs to gouging the eyes. And if he has a knife (though he prefers sharp rocks) he'll remove their ears, nose and tongue but only after kicking their teeth out.

Meatshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: End of the World?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:50:53 pm »

Okay now I'm seriously concerned. You know how when you embark it says that paragraph at the beginning about surviving with bolt, plow, or hook and all that jazz? Well I always read 2 things from the paragraph before starting:
1. The Fort's name.
2. "...ere the ______ get hungry..."

The latter can tell you what kind of animals you'll encounter. Usually it's bears, wolves, or tigers. This time it's BEASTS. MUTHAFUCKIN' MONSTAZ!!
Jarloth Steellungs is my current dwarf wrestler, who enjoys breaking everyone's knees and elbows and then working his way down from fingers to toes to ankles to wrists to arms to legs to gouging the eyes. And if he has a knife (though he prefers sharp rocks) he'll remove their ears, nose and tongue but only after kicking their teeth out.

Meatshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:56:42 pm »

As soon as I started, one of my dwarves became a queen. I'm feeling the bad touch already...

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:16:58 pm »

Well of course. There's no other royals to contend for the title. You've basically found one of the Holy Grails of DF: The Dwarfless world. People love building those in order to raise a Fortress from the ground up without outside interference.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:23:19 pm »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:37:05 am »

Well that happens in 0.40 quite often, especially when the history is long.
My first world had no dwarves nor elves nor humans and I got a king as soon as the game began.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 03:53:07 am »

Now I have a theory of explanation, I set the world generation settings to have a very high number of beasts, low civilizations, low sites, and very high savagery. I guess since there were so few people and so many monsters, I've pushed sentient humanoids to a brink of extinction.
My world has very high savagery, high beast and normal civs and sites. There are still dwarfs and humans around but not many. 90 dwarfs, 40 humans vs. 230 goblins, 36 night creatures and 27 forgotten beasts. Enemies are werelizards and undead led by necromancers.
I guess it wouldn't take much to push my world over the edge, too. Number of beasts and savagery is fun to play around with. =3
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 05:30:30 am »

Okay now I'm seriously concerned. You know how when you embark it says that paragraph at the beginning about surviving with bolt, plow, or hook and all that jazz? Well I always read 2 things from the paragraph before starting:
1. The Fort's name.
2. "...ere the ______ get hungry..."

The latter can tell you what kind of animals you'll encounter. Usually it's bears, wolves, or tigers. This time it's BEASTS. MUTHAFUCKIN' MONSTAZ!!

"Beasts" means there _are_ no surface animals for your location. I usually see it when embarking in places hot or cold enough to directly cook or freeze a dwarf. In other words, when it says "beasts", it's not the beasts you need to be afraid of, it's the weather.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 08:52:18 am »

Woah... that is AMAZING.

Personally, I would set a challenge. No noble/child killing (gotta have leaders and new members) and to embark several times on the same world, after you "complete" each fort, to regrow the Dwarven race.

May Armok be with you.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:39:39 am »

My world has very high savagery, high beast and normal civs and sites. There are still dwarfs and humans around but not many. 90 dwarfs, 40 humans vs. 230 goblins, 36 night creatures and 27 forgotten beasts. Enemies are werelizards and undead led by necromancers.
I guess it wouldn't take much to push my world over the edge, too. Number of beasts and savagery is fun to play around with. =3
Can you export your world gen data?
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 12:17:22 pm »

Can you export your world gen data?
From my world? Dunno, can you extract it from the save somehow? I just used the regular worldgen, nothing special really.
Just kids...

Meatshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 01:15:19 pm »

I'm getting a little worried now.
My computer froze so I had to start a new fort, I got a new king (though strangely he switched back to expedition leader relatively quick), and then another new king who is unhappy because my dwarves can't provide a Royal EVERYTHING yet. They don't even have beds yet.

What do?

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 01:20:45 pm »

Embark with a proficient engraver, engrave the king something nice for a room.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 02:52:33 pm »

I'm getting a little worried now.
My computer froze so I had to start a new fort, I got a new king (though strangely he switched back to expedition leader relatively quick), and then another new king who is unhappy because my dwarves can't provide a Royal EVERYTHING yet. They don't even have beds yet.

What do?
Traps. If you have any silver you can build very valuable weapon traps with trap components. One masterwork spiked silver ball per room and you are done. 2 excellent balls work, too. If you don't have access to any weapongrade metals yet you can try wooden trap components but I don't know how many you will need, probably a lot. Spiked balls or serrated discs should be the fastest way to upgrade a room to royal for you unless you can make furniture of gold or something.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Value
This might help you find something you can spam out quickly. For a royal room you need 10,000 combined value I think.
Just kids...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 02:27:37 am »

From my world? Dunno, can you extract it from the save somehow? I just used the regular worldgen, nothing special really.
You can export the data from legends mode.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2