Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: feeding dwarfs cheese  (Read 2713 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
feeding dwarfs cheese
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:38 pm »

what happens if I give a dwarf a schlobism? Like, set them available to eat? Can I even do that? It's not letting me.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: feeding dwarfs cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:49:38 am »

...I'd love to answer this, but I have no idea what a "shlobism" is and Google only points me back to this exact forum post plus what looks vaguely like some Dutch dude's Etsy page.

I'm going to assume you're asking how to make prepared meals with cheese and force your dwarves to eat nothing but these meals for sadism science.

First, make sure you at least have a bucket, and any female mammal/purring maggot. (You can make a bucket with either wood at the carpenter's or metal and fuel at the forge.)

At the farmer's workshop, schedule a dwarf to "milk an animal" this will randomly pick a dwarf with the "milking" labor to grab a bucket and drag an animal to the workshop. When the job completes, you will have a bucket filled with milk.

Next, schedule "make cheese"- again at the farmer's workshop. Assuming that nobody is trying to haul the bucket somewhere, this will cause a dwarf with the "cheesemaking" labor to show up , and magically convert the bucket of milk into delicious cheese.

Now that you've made some cheese, push <z> to go into your fortress' stats screen, from there, select the kitchen menu option. There should be a list of every potentially edible thing in the fortress with togglable buttons reading "cook" and "brew", if the "cook" toggle is blue then the item can be selected by any dwarf set to prepare a meal. (Cheese is set to "cook" by default, but if you're having issues, it might be something you did by accident. Happens to the best of us.)

Now go to a kitchen, and select any of the prepare meal options, it doesn't really matter which, the only difference is how many ingredients get used, eventually, your chef will select the cheese you just made for his cooking, and you can speed up the process by making a cheese-only stockpile nearby the kitchen.

Lastly, the only real way to force your dwarves to eat a specific food, is to forbid and/or destroy everything else they might eat otherwise. To get those nasty plump helmets and such out of your stockpiles, I would suggest making a garbage zone over either an atom-smasher or some magma. Alternatively, you could arrange for all non-cheese foods to be stored as far away from the rest of your fort as possible; as hungry dwarves will just select the closest food to their present location- they're not going to walk all the way to the other side of the map if they have a cheese roast right next to them.

Hope I helped, I tried to be through.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:52:19 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »

Do note that a bucket full of milk is technically not required to make cheese.  Well, you do need milk, but if you let them, eventually dwarves will designate a barrel to hold milk and they'll dump all the buckets of milk into the barrel instead.

This can make cheese-making a lot more efficient, considering that when they use the barrel, they'll make all contained milk units into cheese, rather than the single bucket's worth of milk.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:06:20 pm »

I apologize, I believe my rare tourettes syndrome came out there. It doesn't really affect my speech, but sometimes it makes me type random words without realizing it. This is the first it';s acted up in months.

I just wondered if it could go moldy and have adverse affects. I could have worded it better.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:24:34 pm »

I know I probably should not say that, and somebody will rightfully scold me for it, but this thread is hilarious.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:42:44 pm »

Those dwarves would get so constipated from all that cheese after a year or two of eating nothing else...

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »

You probably find it funny because it is unexpected.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 10:13:11 pm »

...I'd love to answer this, but I have no idea what a "shlobism" is and Google only points me back to this exact forum post plus what looks vaguely like some Dutch dude's Etsy page.
Same. Though someone requested one in a tileset thread today. :o

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:46:22 pm »

Well, as long as it's on a food stockpile and there's no vermin to munch on it, you won't have to worry about any kind of food going bad. Ever. One time I fed a fort for a little over a decade with a single beached whale. (It was a giant whale.) Stockpiles are just magic.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:15:34 am »

Same. Though someone requested one in a tileset thread today. :o

Hehe... could not resist.  ;D
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 02:09:10 pm »

did you really ask that in a tileset thread because of me? wow.