Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36

Author Topic: WIFOM Fortress - Night 4 - "Peerless visionary" floods fort with GCSs  (Read 60791 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Day 4 - And everything was going so smoothly up until then
« Reply #495 on: February 23, 2015, 01:58:26 am »

I'm aware its my turn. I'm really busy today, but tomorrow I'll download the save and should start playing by Tuesday.
Go Persus! :D Save the Fortress [harder] (and cue tasty flavor)!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2015, 03:58:01 pm »

I'm aware its my turn. I'm really busy today, but tomorrow I'll download the save and should start playing by Tuesday.
*poke*

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2015, 04:49:19 pm »

*poke*
Took much longer than anticipated to get the save, looking around the fort and my character now. Apparently I hate freedom and an independent spirit and like tradition. That gives me ideas.

Oh, and I absolutely detest cave spiders.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Anyone need to be redwarfed/want to be dwarfed?

The following excerpt was taken out of Pricemines: The Truth Behind the Legend by the late expert on early Dwarven history P. E. R. Sus XIII

Chapter 8: The Legend of the Kingmaker
   Owing to the continued discovery of enemy sympathizers among the ranks of Pricemines and the subsequent no confidence vote in Deus Asmoth’s leadership, it was Persus who found herself in charge of the fortress of Pricemines. Knowledge of the events of this time is greatly aided by the recent discovery that the dwarf Persus kept a journal of her leadership in the fort. This journal was found in a collection of papers from the library of the deposed King Org the Mad and I translated it from Proto-Dwarf myself. A large portion of this chapter will be excerpts from said journal.

23 Opal, 131
Always tell the truth is my motto. Now I know that some of dwarves in our fort are lying. Too much freedom has prompted them to desire more, and now I have been put in charge by a mysterious force. The dwarf who told me it was my destiny to take charge gave me no name, merely that he was the Kingmaker. He told me of the events that would sweep me to power before they even happened. But this dwarf I knew not, he hid his face. I don’t know if he can be trusted, but I will take charge of this fort as he commanded, and I will root out the truth.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

24 Opal 131
I stepped outside and vomited, not from the sun, but because of all the corpses, clothing and all the other vomit covering the place. We needed a roof, and we also need this mess to be cleaned.
(Seriously, if it's green, its vomit)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why do we have 51 cave spiders? I knew we had some, but so many? Why couldn’t we train sloth men instead? We have a total 125 pets, according to the bookkeeper Toaster. In order to decrease the amount of pets, I have ordered all non-essential work animals to be slaughtered, sparing only a few puppies, the war and hunting dogs, and the pets after I was convinced by my council that this open revocation of dwarven freedom would be met with rebellion from the pet owners. With great reluctance, the cave spiders were also mostly spared. The animal trainers almost staged a riot when they found out all their work attempting to domesticate the cave spiders would be for naught. I ordered only one slaughtered, as a message that while I accepted their pleas, I had the power to slaughter the spiders. This whole episode is a classic example of the high amount of freedom those at this fortress have. What lunacy will be next, having everyone vote on who the scum infiltrating the fortress?

This is the first time the Kingmaker was ever mentioned, and my belief is that this Kingmaker doesn't exist, but is merely a way for Persus to justify her coup over Deus Asmoth either to herself or to the unnamed council mentioned in these entries.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile

Why do we have 51 cave spiders?
It's a damn shame the things are worthless in a fight.  Except against trolls. 

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Can they be launched?  Everything can be weaponized given enough dwarven ingenuity.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

They're not worthless. They're shields. They distract enemies by making them waste time butchering them.
Like babies.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Because a peerless visionary saw opportunity with the capture of two giant cave spiders of opposite gender.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

On my turn I was planning on using the cavespiders to try and cage some of the forgotten beasts.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because a peerless visionary saw opportunity with the capture of two giant cave spiders of opposite gender.
The GCS is not the legend which was a story of fear in young dwarven hearts anymore? :-\
What happened? D:

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile

I guess it's more related to their weak attacks not doing anything against creatures with armour, plus forgotten beasts being immune to their poison.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I believe the correct way to use them is to have them opposite our enemies through fortifications, that way they can web invaders without getting into direct conflict with them. Combined with some archers we should have a reasonably effective defense.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Set up some GCS pillboxes around entrances?  I like that idea!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe the correct way to use them is to have them opposite our enemies through fortifications, that way they can web invaders without getting into direct conflict with them. Combined with some archers we should have a reasonably effective defense.
Have a GCS pen see a space between a fortification and a wall with a passage to the fortress at a side.
Have a wall being the one and only way into the fortress (or at least a ramped wall) being the first entryway. (due to Climbing)
Have a way to save the GCS pen from enemy archers.

Or be creative. Meph's idea here is brilliant!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

Actually, there's so many cave spiders, that you could make sets of fortified squares (Just make a 3x3 block of fortifications, with the center left open to drop the spider in) and just pepper the landscape with web turrets.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36