Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36

Author Topic: WIFOM Fortress - Night 4 - "Peerless visionary" floods fort with GCSs  (Read 60882 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Night 2 - Tormented by rowdy teenager necromancers
« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »

Hot damn that crannog is looking more spacious nowadays.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2014, 09:27:41 pm »

How did I slam a revolving door...
Bwahahahahahaha
Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2014, 09:33:48 pm »

Timeless Bob had drifted through the aether for some time, admiring the way it wisped back and forth until he came upon a table with some funny cards on it, a couple mugs of beer and some stale pretzels in a bowl woven from straw.  Oh, there were also some short hairy individuals arguing around it, drinking the beer, pointedly ignoring the pretzels and gesturing quite passionately.

One of them suddenly shouted something about "May-er" and stepped into...  What was that?

Timeless drifted slowly forward attempting to get a better look and was so captivated by the strange area of... what IS that?... that he didn't notice his foot had stepped in it.

A roaring, a rushing, and a very bright light later he found himself trapped in a squishy bag of fluid held by a bigger, hairier bag of fluid.  The big fluid bag was drinking some other fluid out of a really stiff bag made out of something that smelled like the green things around him... very disconcerting.

"What the hell?" he shouted, but all that came out was something that sounded like "Beeeeehr"... 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:45:15 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2014, 04:09:14 am »

An actual kobold ambush?
Doesn't that basically never happen or is this the new version at work? The new version being basically everything after 40d.
I had one in 31.25
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2014, 05:18:11 am »

in one of my forts in 34.11 i had modded several extra races to siege me all over the year. the result was that my map was littered with corpses and equipment. so every time a kobold thief came, he just picked some from the dead besiegers' equipment and went on his way. i couldn't stop them because most of it was on the edge of the map and i was bored of devoting half my dwarves to cleaning the place when it would be pretty much in the same situation the next year. the result was that i was plagued by kobold ambushes. i mean at least one per year.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2014, 05:32:41 am »

in one of my forts in 34.11 i had modded several extra races to siege me all over the year. the result was that my map was littered with corpses and equipment. so every time a kobold thief came, he just picked some from the dead besiegers' equipment and went on his way. i couldn't stop them because most of it was on the edge of the map and i was bored of devoting half my dwarves to cleaning the place when it would be pretty much in the same situation the next year. the result was that i was plagued by kobold ambushes. i mean at least one per year.
^
Exactly why kobold ambushes happen.

If you let the thieves get stuff too much. They get rowdy and attack, mostly expecting a badly defended place (or a loot filled battlefield...).

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2014, 05:41:11 am »

yup. and contrary to popular belief, they are not harmless cuties. not at all. i mean, some of these ambushes really gave me a run for my money. not only they were loaded with bows, but they placed themselves in strategic positions, like behind bridges and on higher ground (ok, that was rng messing with me, not kobold tacticians but whatever). then they sniped civilians, caravans, animals and footsoldiers with low dodge and shield user skills and caused serious injuries, significant casualties, and kept my military distracted and scattered when an actual siege arrived.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2014, 08:13:58 am »

The thing is, they won't become a problem if you clean the place up now and then.

There was one game where a dwarf made an artifact splint in my aboveground carpenters shop before I had moved it underground, and a plucky kobold snaged it and made off with it.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, but the thing was worth a fortune, and the kobolds, now thinking I was loaded, sent regular attacks of multiple squads at a time.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

than402

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2014, 08:18:54 am »

yeah, but it becomes a chore after a while. i'd much rather have a few kobolds to kill than spending 1/3 of my time atom smashing goblin socks and copper maces.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2014, 09:19:29 am »

Interestingly enough, it was historically very common for societies to ritually destroy wealth in order to discourage raiding. I'd think the easiest way to do it in Dwarf Fortress is to donate items to dwarven merchants.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2014, 09:28:40 am »

Nowadays I tend to set an artifact toy or two outside as offerings to the kobolds so I can loot their daggers.
:P
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2014, 03:13:35 pm »

17th Granite
Elven traders have arrived, and to the surprise of many nothing bad happened as they strolled into the vomit soaked courtyard.

Toaster walked alongside Mephansteras as they surveyed the goods being offered. "They brought a nice stockpile of wood for us, which should help us for a while."

"Indeed." replyed Mephansteras, picking up a wooden shield. "And we can use some of these items as well. Stretch out our stockpiles a bit more." He put it back down. "How are we on trade goods? We should have quite a few ceramic goods from the magma kilns..."

"Yeah, we're good. Plenty of stuff to trade for everything we'd want out of here."

"Good, good. I'm going to see about having the forges make up some Silver Goblets for trade with the Mountainhomes. We'll need a lot more wealth to get what we want from them."

22nd Granite

"Gold!" beamed TheDarkStar. "We keep finding more veins of it!"

"Good, good." Mephansteras looked down at the nugget in his hand. "We should make plans to use some of this. Maybe some sort of grand Council chamber..."

"Nice thought, but shouldn't that wait for the Crannog to be finished?"

"Ah. Yeah, good point." he handed the gold back. "Well, keep up the good work."

1st Slate

"Uh...hey, Mephansteras", a confused looking icefire2314 walked up. "Uh, Reg just took over the Carpenter's shop. He looks kinda...strangly happy, and has started gathering up materials. You...uh...want us to let him do his thing, right?"

"Oh. Oh! Of course, of course! Make sure he gets whatever he needs to make the artifact."

5th Slate

"How's the Artifact coming along, icefire?"

"Good, I think. He just finished gathering up stuff. He's got wood, some blue garnets, cloth, and a few bars of copper."

"Ok. Well, we'll just hope it's something useful."

10th Slate

"It's finished! My Grand Work is finished!" a dazed Reg stumbled out of the carpenter shop.
"I. I could really use a drink."

"Ha!" icefire gently grabbed his arm. "I bet you could. Come on, let's go celebrate."

Peaceful so far. Mostly my time has been spent following up on projects. Placing beds, keep up with workshops, and the like.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 27, 2014, 08:41:16 pm »

How much is the artifact worth?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 28, 2014, 09:25:36 pm »

1st Felsite
"We're hearing strange things from down in the caverns. We think another forgotten beast has shown up." Shakerag reported.

"Huh. Well, maybe we'll be lucky and they'll kill each other off"

7th Felsite

"Any word on that new beast?" asked Mephansteras as he looked over a batch of new migrants clustering in the courtyard.

"Nah, we've heard nothing in a while. We don't think it stuck around."

"Pity."

"Anything good in the migrants?"

"Eh, a bunch of farmers and rangers. I've set the farmers to mining and asked Dorsidwarf to set up the rangers as a new marksdwarf squad.

"Makes sense. We'll need them to help dwarf the cavern fortifications."

"Indeed."

How much is the artifact worth?

43,200. Not bad, not great.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:31 pm »

What happens to overseers who go past the due date? (Just curious on my part because of being new to all this)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36