Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36

Author Topic: WIFOM Fortress - Night 4 - "Peerless visionary" floods fort with GCSs  (Read 60878 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Year 1 - "STRIKE THE LAKE!"
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:14 am »

He never learned to swim and in moments he was drowned. NQT was a town doctor.
Brilliant.

I like the role flips. Can we make that a rule?
Yes.  Yes we can.

Update OP with new rule, and some misc. info. 
EDIT:  I have splashed a bit more Mafia theme into the game.  Pray I don't splash it further.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2014, 11:41:52 am »

15th of Moonstone, 125

My name is Deler Ugoshalath, though I usually go by Toaster.  After the two deaths, I did what any sensible dwarf would do;  I passed out next to the still.

Upon waking, I came in to the tail end of a discussion about who should next lead the group.  There was quite the argument going on already, and all I did was pipe in with a side comment about how we should deal with external threats, and boy, that set everyone off.  I eventually got chosen as the "alternative" candidate.  Huh.  Well, I'm not much of a politician, but I do know about defense; I am a siege engineer.

Everyone else started arguing about who was responsible, but I made an excuse and walked out to survey the site.  I already had some thoughts, but I hadn't really gotten to see everything just yet.  A quick list:

• NQT, prior to his death, had excavated quite a bit of marble.  A shining marble fortress above the surface of the lake?  Very defensible, though some underground works would be required.
  • The terrain itself was fairly defensible.  The lake formed a natural barrier, and we had set up next to a stream that anyone approaching from the north would have to cross; it served to create natural choke points.
  • Our animals looked thin; there was little forage at the site.  South where the lake began to bend around, there looked to be more grass.  I'd have to keep an eye on the animals and perhaps move them down there.  The only wildlife around was camels, so there wasn't too much risk in that.
  • We had two masons turning the raw marble into usable blocks, but their workshops were on the surface.  Better to move them to the quarry and have the blocks be ferried, than the masons carrying the raw stone to the surface.  I ordered them to move shop at once.
  • The communal bedroom- and shaft as a whole- is awfully close to the lake, creating flood concerns.  A defensive wall will be established farther out, then the shaft will be redug for that.
  • We have no cropland.  That's concerning.  At least we have a lake for fishing.

Handling these items will be my first priority.  After that, we can look into the murders.  Additionally, I appoint myself as fortress broker, bookkeeper, and manager, as those positions are vacant.  What I need for an office is commissioned.

19th of Moonstone, 125

Excavation has started for some basic farm plots.  It's a bit late in the year to start planting, but they will be ready for next spring. I also get a couple dwarves fishing and one cleaning fish; the latter is also tasked to be our butcher because I don't see anyone else doing it.

4th of Opal, 125

I've had dug several storehouse areas below the farms.  The loamy areas will provide excellent storage.  Additionally, block storage has been set up on the surface in preparation for further construction over the lake.

The animals look skinnier, so I've designated a pasture area on the southern lake shore.

18th of Opal, 125

NQT had done good work in getting blocks ready, so building the initial wall was simple.  Ideally it will be twice as high and thrice as thick and ringed with towers, but that time will come.  There will be a gate and a courtyard leading to the depot, as well.

26th of Opal, 125

The initial shaft mine had crossed a very promising vein, so I ordered it dug out.  Sure enough, it yielded gold ore!  Shiny, glorious gold; reminds me of my favorite childhood song, "Gold Gold Gold Gold."

But even something as wonderful as gold cannot come without troubles:

We broke in to a cavern, not all that far from the surface.  There was much growing there; cave wheat, pig tails, fungiwood, tower caps; all the natural bounty that the surface lacked.  But beyond that, there was a much shinier reward.

Gold.

LOTS of gold.  The kind of gold reserve that old miners spoke of in reverent whispers, touching their beards in respect.  Shakerag, the miner that broke in to the cavern, had his hat in his hands when he reported it to me, a look of wonder in his eyes.  He was no young dwarf either, well-versed in the pick. The awe and reverence in his voice impressed upon me the value of this find.

I announced it to the others over dinner.  After the cheers died down, there was almost immediately an argument.  There were two schools of thought- those who thought digging into the open caverns like that invited doom and destruction into our fortress, and those who wanted to exploit the mineral worth for all it had.  Personally, I was a cautious member of the second group.  We really needed all its bounty, enough to trump the security concerns.  That said, reckless rushing in would just lead us to danger, despite no signs of creatures living down there.

TheDarkStar wanted in there right away.  "There's wood down there!  We're going nowhere without wood, unless you all care to sleep in the dirt?"

Jim countered her.  "We have nice beds already, and Armok knows what lives down there.  Why can't we be content with what we have?"

TheDarkStar laughed bitterly.  "Sure, we have beds now.  And how many spares?  Any?  How many more dwarves do you think will come knocking when they hear of this find?"

Mastah Cheese looked up.  "Why do we have to let them know?"

All the miners looked at her with incredulity.  "Really?" Shakerag put in. "Word of this will spread like wildfire.  They will come.  They will be here."

After a long argument, I slammed my hand on the table.  "Enough!  It would be foolhardy to ignore the bounty the earth has given us.  We will prepare to dig down to the floor level and make use of the caverns.  But we will not rush in!  We will go slowly and secure a passage against intruders.  We won't take unnecessary risks."

After a few more complaints, there was general consensus.  But the murmurs and glares were obvious; not everyone liked the idea.  But how much did they dislike it?

Seriously, there's a lot of gold down there.  The first shaft simply missed the first cavern.  Anyway, I hope to get it done today, despite me taking this long for a month and a half.  We'll see.

Someone holler if my images are too big/small/weirdly cropped.  I play with a big resolution, so I crop it down to not be too huge on the forum.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Night 1 - Typical mafia; we lost the doctor D1
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »

Doing good! A lot more productive and sensible. I'm pleased you chose to play as the witness from Day 1. I did notice the start of the gold veins when digging, but I was so focused on the marble...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2014, 12:09:02 pm »

The marble saved a LOT of time on the wall.  That's how I got it up in two weeks or so.

Siege engineer fit my planned playstyle- focus on infrastructure and getting a wall up.  As soon as I saw him asleep next to the still, I knew I had a winner.

I just tasked them on the gold for want of much else to do at the time; I didn't realize we were sitting on the motherlode.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2014, 12:13:12 pm »

I just tasked them on the gold for want of much else to do at the time; I didn't realize we were sitting on the motherlode.
"Gates of gold and perimeter walls of karats. Nothing can go wrong with a show of wealth."

Someone holler if my images are too big/small/weirdly cropped.  I play with a big resolution, so I crop it down to not be too huge on the forum.
Code: [Select]
[img height=x width=y]URL[/img]Best way this forum handles pics. They can be originally HUGE, yet with this formatting?
It's...
Gold.
 8)
...Anyway. That's the best way to handle differing resolutions and images. Just be acquainted with the usual portrait/landscape sizes (in pixels, by the way. The x/y are values in pixels, so usually 200+) and feel free to be creative! :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:17:51 pm by Tiruin »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2014, 12:29:38 pm »

People are doing a good job with including the dwarf'd people in the storytelling.
I like it.

Also, meh. Sign me up for a turn, 'cause why not.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2014, 01:35:10 pm »

Fun facts:  Shakerag and Mastahcheese are both in their 70s, making them some of the eldest, though Than402 is the most senior at 86.  My dwarf is married to tonnot98, and the third youngest at 21.  Tonnot98 is 14, which raises some questions as to dwarven marriage customs.  An as-yet undwarfed dwarf is the youngest at 13; we don't have any children right now.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2014, 02:04:12 pm »

An as-yet undwarfed dwarf is the youngest at 13; we don't have any children right now.
There's one in the queue.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2014, 02:08:01 pm »

An as-yet undwarfed dwarf is the youngest at 13; we don't have any children right now.
There's one in the queue.

He requested a jeweler; if we don't get one in the next migrant wave I'll make one and slot him in there.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »

He requested a jeweler; if we don't get one in the next migrant wave I'll make one and slot him in there.
*sigh*  More things to keep track of? 

Uggggggggggggh, so hard.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 04:08:57 pm »

1st of Granite, 126

Since I have been in charge less than a season, everyone agreed that I could simply stay until the next year was out.

It's time to start planting.

15th of Granite, 126

Two horrible things happened today.  First, our fortress was overrun by pointy-eared pests; the scourge of the forests.  Elves.  Ugh.  At least we can trade with them; they probably have fresh vegetables.

Second, Mosus Thalalsodel drowned in the stream.  The bone carver, Muthkat, found him there.  No one knows how this happened, or why.  What a waste.

Mosus Thalalsodel was a Migrant.

I had commissioned some coffins and asked for a crypt to be dug out; looks like it will be more full than we had anticipated.

23rd of Granite, 126

The three dwarves now have coffins; NQT, as a founding member, has his own little nook in the catacombs.  May their souls ever rest in the stone.

In other news, I have made some trades with the elves.  Not having any appraisers on hand is making this guesswork.  I swapped a gem and a gold nugget for a tasty-looking warthog; probably not the best deal, but we're low on food.

Mosus's death may have been an accident.  The bridge over the stream is quite narrow, so we are going to move it upstream and build it larger.

9th of Slate, 126

A reason to celebrate!

Deus and Kaladin are beyond pleased, of course.  The first baby here has lightened the mood for everyone!

24th of Slate, 126

TheDarkStar leaned on the fortress gate, a slight frown on her face.  "What'd I tell you?"

Jim looked down.  "Well, we expected migrants."

Mastahcheese shrugged.  "Knew we shouldn't have done anything."

TheDarkStar laughed. "We didn't have to.  And they're still coming!"

Sure enough, the influx of migrants continued.  And continued.  Overnight, the population of the fort had nearly tripled.  I noted down their professions, and I've included the list below:

Spoiler: Migrant Professions (click to show/hide)

The miner and stoneworker are most appreciated; the miner gets top marks for bringing his own pick.  I'm not sure what we're going to do with three clothiers and six fish workers.  The more... esoteric professions may be tasked with assisting on construction of the floating fortress.

One of the clothiers overheard a mention of this, and he had a better suggestion.  He (name of Taupe) said that he always wanted to work in jewelry but couldn't get a job for it at home.  Since we didn't have one right now, I agreed and let him get started on some of the many uncut gems we had.

The miller was an awfully suspicious fellow.  I resolved to keep an eye on him.

28th of Slate, 126

"I'm telling you, I SAW him!" Jim shouted at me.

"You saw a dead dwarf?" I replied.

"Well... he was moving!  And I know he's dead, but I saw him!"  She was clearly shaken.

"Look.  NQT is dead.  I saw him die.  I don't know what you thought you saw, but maybe you should rest?  Have a drink?" Jim was prone to odd fits of terror, I knew.

"Bah!  You're a fool!  You'll see him!"  She huffed and stormed out.

That was odd.  Jim may be jumpy, but to see a dead dwarf wandering around?  That was unusual.

One of the migrants left a baby at the entrance point.  The poor kid crawled all the way to the meeting area, leaving a trail of vomit almost the whole way.  When the baby got there, the mother casually picked him up.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2014, 04:20:22 pm »

I see what you did there.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2014, 06:07:23 pm »

I see what you did there.
I chuckled.

I like that though its parents may be pleased, the baby doesn't care about family one way or the other.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2014, 08:45:09 pm »

I notice I didn't include easy to digest numbers; that migrant wave brought us from 16 to 44.  If you want a dwarf, now's a great time to ask.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2014, 09:09:15 pm »

Hum, an emotionally dead 14 years old, sounds promising!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36