Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt - Assault at Daybreak  (Read 12883 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2014, 12:47:45 pm »

ooh, imagine it being in the tower, hitting the top armor of those tanks...
And getting blown to bits immediately after...
Business before pleasure- that tower will be a great asset when it's our turn to defend the town.
I wouldn't worry about that too much. I severely doubt that anything we can deal out is capable of rendering the tower completely unusable.
(I don't want to count it up, but I'm guessing team blue doesn't have the points for a support platoon?)
I was going to split the support weapons between the groups, something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As for deployment, I'd have the mortars set up in the middle ( say, around 13C) and concentrate the combat units either in the north or south, but not both. I can't really comment on the 2nd group but a1s's set up sounds good.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2014, 01:22:55 pm »

Do we have enough parts fort a second battlegroup?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2014, 02:12:56 pm »

I'm pretty sure that totals exactly to 200.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2014, 02:31:32 pm »

Tophat both battlegroups need to have a mortar of their own since a mortar unit on the far side probably won't be able to support them as one on their side of the town.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »

A 60mm deployed on Blue can cover the entire town apart from those structures nearest Red's southern deployment zone, one deployed by Red could do the job also if he was advanced about 5 or 10 meters but that unit would have to cross the river to hit anything beyond the highway.

Of course either unit will only be able to accurately target those areas he himself can see, namely those on his side of the town, but he can provide indirect support from most anywhere.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »

I would still like to deploy a Larno team in the house at 29H. Barring that, a rifle half-section near the 2 mortar teams (those are two separate problems, but I'm guessing the machine gun team can at least suppress any attackers long enough for them to be flanked). The mortar teams aren't even issued Lupets, if they are ever found without cover they can be shot like ducks in a gallery.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2014, 05:01:53 pm »

You know what, I'm gonna make a carbine and issue them to weapon teams for them to use when the gun isn't set up. I might spread them around in the other units as well. Standby for hotfix.

Spoiler: Random GM Note (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2014, 05:33:58 pm »

Another question: is the scout team just an extra-lite rifle section, or can we assume they have some basic training in stealth? (we're not using them this time, but it could be useful to know)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2014, 05:35:33 pm »

They probably are the only idiots to have optical equipment.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2014, 05:52:22 pm »

Another question: is the scout team just an extra-lite rifle section, or can we assume they have some basic training in stealth? (we're not using them this time, but it could be useful to know)
As a rule, smaller squads are less likely to be spotted while moving, but scouts are indeed better at sneaking than a similarly sized team. So when sneaking: Scouts > Larno > Rifle Section.

Half-rifles are mostly there to fill out platoons and use up those last couple points.

E:
What do you mean by that?

E2: Loadout fixes are done, made a changes to pretty much all the units so make sure to give that a good look.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:59:49 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2014, 09:09:50 pm »

So when sneaking: Scouts > Larno > Rifle Section.
woah. Mahcinegun teams are better at sneaking? Or is this just because they have less men?
What do you mean by that?
He is being facetious. It would be beneficial to bring some binoculars into a military situation, yet few people do. The scout section are still "idiots", since for all their sneakiness they failed to avoid the draft. Or something along those lines- explaining humor makes it sound stupid.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2014, 09:50:12 pm »

For the most part, unless you where an officer you dident have binoculars.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2014, 11:24:53 pm »

So when sneaking: Scouts > Larno > Rifle Section.
Woah. Machinegun teams are better at sneaking? Or is this just because they have less men?
Three guys (though they admittedly are burdened by the gun, ammo and bipod) as opposed to eight: It's just simple math, smaller groups are harder to detect. Experience can slightly influence this as well.

For the most part, unless you where an officer you didn't have binoculars.
Field glasses are expensive and fragile, so it was largely commanders (Major and up) that were known to make use of binoculars. British tank commanders were often assigned them as well, but they certainly weren't standard issue. It's to my understanding that in the second World War they saw limited use outside of the African theater.

---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the current status of your deployment as I understand it. Continue to make changes until you're satisfied.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 07:54:51 pm »

Hey, wake up..! Blink twice if you're okay with the current battlegroup setups-!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:20 pm »

Yah, thats good for me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8