Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt - Assault at Daybreak  (Read 12876 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »

The highways that run through the town itself are what vehicles will be using to advance and what you're meant to secure, they lead north to Gibalt, which is where we want to go. The roads to the West lead to the coast, there's nothing there of importance.

Inflatable boats? Possibly?
You didn't bring any, because the river here at Arnho wasn't expected to be very deep and aerial recon determined it could safely be waded by infantry. Though the banks are too steep for armor to run up, they won't be approaching from the West but from the South, thus the two small bridges are not important.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:23:16 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2014, 08:17:00 pm »

So... are "grenades" the Mk. 9s (frags) and "demos" the MK. 23s (anti-tank)? If what grenades do squads have?
Right, vertical axis is numbered, from the top of it. Horizontal axis is lettered, from the 0,A point (Top left)
With that in mind, and using TopHat's troop composition, modified so that each squad has rifles and someone who can fight tanks (platoon one has grenades, platoon two has AT projectors), with a mortar team and a sniper as support, I propose that Platoon Two starts at 29,F (bottom left, near those buildings), Platoon One starts at 6,G, and the support troops (mortars and sniper) start at 17,B and 18,B. That way, if the bluish grey is a road, we can setup troops covering it and the southern bridge while the others cover the northern bridge, since we are probably going to get told to keep those bridges intact.
First of all, we're facing a town militia, why would they have a tank? PLAT teams cost as much as a 8-man rifle squad, or a L.Arno team. If we don't reasonably expect to need them, let's get more grenadiers (they are useful in semi-urban settings, and can serve as an AT unit if shit comes to fan).

On a more tactical note, I don't see much point deploying between two rivers (unless you want to ford them, with a functional bridge not 50 meters seaward?) So, I would either deploy at 2G and head for the bridge, or forgo the top altogether, if you think it's an ambush.
I'd also like to deploy a Larno team at 29F to immediately take the building at 29H- there's a great open space we need to cross, perfect for provining fire support with a machine gun.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2014, 08:41:35 pm »

Chances are that once we own the town we have to hold the town, and they will probably bring a tank then.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2014, 08:50:04 pm »

Chances are that once we own the town we have to hold the town, and they will probably bring a tank then.
Uncontested. But that will be another mission, for which we will get reinforcements.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2014, 08:58:20 pm »

Are you positive?
Remember the difficulty.
And remember we are behind enemy lines, takeing a town that holds a road we want so we can shift supplies. Chances are that they might use it to shift supplies.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2014, 09:28:39 pm »

So... are "grenades" the Mk. 9s (frags) and "demos" the MK. 23s (anti-tank)? If what grenades do squads have?
Ayup. Grenades are frags and Demos are AT. I can change that to something more intuitive if you like, I had it that way while I was setting up because it was easier for me to distinguish and quickly count them.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2014, 09:30:49 pm »

Any plain old HE 'nades?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2014, 09:34:35 pm »

No HE grenades, but the PLATs use HE warheads. You can blow houses open with those if you can get close enough, and they have better range than hand grenades.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2014, 10:05:22 pm »

Ah, not just AT shells?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2014, 10:13:03 pm »

Ah, not just AT shells?
They use HEAT shells. Deployed against a fortified machine gun nest, say in a structure or bunker, they can experience some effectiveness. They cause limited lethality against an enemy who isn't located in an enclosed space, such as a bedroom.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:15:49 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2014, 10:39:46 pm »

Thats good then.

See? Its worth loosing 6 guys to have one and its crew!
Plus, we are playing on !!FUN!!
Highly Opinionated Fool

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2014, 10:51:57 pm »

Thats good then.

See? Its worth loosing 6 guys to have one and its crew!
Plus, we are playing on !!FUN!!
sigh. some people just want to see the world burn.
Ok, let's switch the sensible team of sub machine gunners for a powerful tool of destruction and have some !!Fun!! Also wee need to set up the second (blue) team.
I'm thinking the rifle platoon could be place at AJ16 and 17 to provide covering fire, while the other one can start in the copse at AI22. (I don't want to count it up, but I'm guessing team blue doesn't have the points for a support platoon?)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:04:39 pm by a1s »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2014, 11:02:51 pm »

Its not to have !!FUN!!, if you remember I wanted normal difficulty.

Its to keep the !!FUN!! that WILL come to nosh on our face in the form of tanks from killing us as fast.

However, useing it to wave goodbye to the asshat in the church tower will be nice...
Highly Opinionated Fool

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2014, 11:12:49 pm »

However, useing it to wave goodbye to the asshat in the church tower will be nice...
Business before pleasure- that tower will be a great asset when it's our turn to defend the town.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 11:30:11 pm »

Yah, good point.

ooh, imagine it being in the tower, hitting the top armor of those tanks...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8