Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minotaur labyrinth?  (Read 4379 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Minotaur labyrinth?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:42 am »

Minotaurs make lousy babysitters.
...aaaand sigged.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 10:16:11 am »

Sadly, they only come with one piece of equipment or armour, from my experience, often a piece of clothing in his hands. If they came armoured and equipped, minotaurs would be quite dangerous. I tested a fully set up iron clad minotaur in arena vs twenty iron dwarves, and it took a lot of lives before dying.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 10:22:55 am »

That's how they should be. Dangerous enemies who are worthy of myths. Theseus wasn't the first one to face the Minotaur. He was famous for being the one to beat it. You don't get famous for pounding wimps. I wonder if there's a way to mod them to come with better gear.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:33:31 am »

At least they're not as weak as an ettin. I had an ettin show up, a child engaged it, broke one of it's arms, and kicked it's head in, and walked away before I could do anything.

Cyclopses, though, are true killers. I embarked on one's cave once, using advanced world gen, had six soldiers, two axe, hammer, and spear dwarves, fully suited in bronze, attack a cyclops, who was already fighting four giant lions and a flock of elk birds. Cyclops cleaned up there, everyone dead, one fractured finger and some cuts, went up to kill my last dwarf, who was cutting a tree, and got his upper chest exploded in gore by a log. Yet a stone fall trap dropping slade can be blocked by a kobold with a shield. Beware the cyclopses!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 10:37:50 am »

I've still got a caged one because I'm not sure what to do with him yet. He charged in to go fight the military, then got distracted by the bait dog with cage traps I use to clear the mountain goat and eagle corpses.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 12:48:55 pm »

Cyclopses, though, are true killers. I embarked on one's cave once, using advanced world gen, had six soldiers, two axe, hammer, and spear dwarves, fully suited in bronze, attack a cyclops, who was already fighting four giant lions and a flock of elk birds. Cyclops cleaned up there, everyone dead, one fractured finger and some cuts, went up to kill my last dwarf, who was cutting a tree, and got his upper chest exploded in gore by a log. Yet a stone fall trap dropping slade can be blocked by a kobold with a shield. Beware the cyclopses!
Well, that is one way to look at it.
Another way would be to ask:
How effective would it be to replace the stone fall trap with a retractable bridge that holds a pile of logs?   :D
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 07:12:09 pm »

Less effective than a hatch, because bridges fling stuff randomly.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 05:49:27 am »

The "problem" with this idea is that, in general, bad guys tend not to attack each other. If you dropped some goblins in there, the minotaur would probably just play Scrabble with them.
Semi-megabest? Should be hostile. But even if not, probably just neutral. But then, elephants also are neutral to dwarves... right until Urist McAmbusher shoots one of them while hunting hoary marmots. The rest is plain factions mechanics.
So... a few expendable domesticated animals are placed on a small pasture behind a fortification, with Mr.Cow stuck without protection beyond fortification and moat in front of it.
Code: [Select]
,,g,,  ,,g,,
,g,,,  ,gM╥,
·····  ···║·
·OMO·  ·O+╨·
##╬##  ##╬##
┼s,,┼  ┼s,,┼
#####  #####
Dwarves sit behind a large fortification-protected window and make their bets. When a goblin accidentally hits the minotaur, Urist McBookie says "bets are final" and pulls the lever. A side bridge is lowered, bloodsport begins.
Probably would work with remnants of a previous siege, too, only with additional benefits of a loyalty cascade.  :D
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"
Pages: 1 [2]