Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should I do?

Revive the game as it was!
- 5 (62.5%)
Restart the game!
- 3 (37.5%)
Let the stupid game die already! JUST LET IT GOOOOOOOO!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: Echo of Cthulhu: OOC *HERBERT WEST WAZ HERE?*  (Read 14941 times)

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: Echo of Cthulhu: Interest check and Pregame Stuff
« Reply #210 on: October 29, 2014, 06:14:36 pm »

It sounds nice. Will the soft limit rise as I train in magic or is it fixed?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:17:28 pm by Prophet »
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 29, 2014, 06:15:10 pm »

Because our players are A BUNCH OF CREEPS, kidding here's one solution.

You don't have a mana meter. You can cast as many spells as you want... but there is a soft limit that isn't precisely stated. You can go above this limit, but some of your rolls may get "tainted" with magic. That means that a success is basically the same as a regular fail. It's not your incompetence that causes it, however. Instead, fluff-wise it's simply that the objects involved (or even if things get really bad the laws of physics involved) don't work as they should. Guns don't ignite the powder, flint doesn't cause a spark, balls fall to the ground and don't bounce, etc. And if it fails... Oh dear. The gunpowder explodes in your hand. The flint sets your hands on fire. The ball bounces back and hits you in the face.

Explanation? Well, the forces in charge of magic notice that you're taking in a lot more magic then you should. As a result, they contact the forces in charge of physics and tell them to kick your ass until you stop casting spells.

And if you keep going above the limit? ... Well, look, you're directly antagonizing incomprehensible forces who are not just amazing at magic, they own it. Meanwhile, you are an extremely arrogant wizard. What do you think is going to happen?

That is an interesting idea. After all, what Charles Dexter Ward learned in his case: "Do not call up that which you cannot put down."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 29, 2014, 06:16:24 pm »

It sounds nice. Will the soft limit rise as I train in magic or is it fixed?
GM's call. It could be raised by bribing the entities in charge with sacrifices. Or by figuring out loopholes and shortcuts that allow you to take in more magic. Or just by experience. Again, GM's call.

*snip*
That is an interesting idea. After all, what Charles Dexter Ward learned in his case: "Do not call up that which you cannot put down."
That would be an excellent motto for the magic system.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2014, 06:18:25 pm »

I would prefer that it can be raised but I'll still use magic even if it can't.

((I wonder if I can still grow tentacles later in the game? I have no idea why I want tentacles so bad but I do.))
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2014, 06:20:01 pm »

It's a survival mechanism. The one without tentacles in a Lovecraft story is the one most likely to be eaten.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 29, 2014, 06:22:05 pm »

Ohhh praise to you mighty Cthulhu please grant me your lovely visage of tentacleness so that I may worship you with out getting eaten.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2014, 02:52:22 pm »

Well, I think I have a solid enough grasp on the mechanics that we can start tomorrow. Halloween is a good place to start, after all. Keep your eye's out for it! I get out of my last class that day ~15:00 MST, which is probably the time I will start starting to write the opening.

As you are all starting as kids, and in a party, would you like to be part of a sleepover or other event that brings you all together?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2014, 03:03:49 pm »

Maybe let everyone decide their characters relations with each other?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2014, 03:06:38 pm »

Yeah
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2014, 03:43:01 pm »

YAY! We get to start playing in this tentacle filled death trap soon!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2014, 03:53:49 pm »

How about, to be appropiate, we are trick or treating on Halloween?
We could even foreshadow our future classes by dressing as the closest thing to the class that would be a costume (Like the rogue being Batman, the mage being Gandalf, etc). Could be funny.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2014, 03:56:41 pm »

We could even foreshadow our future classes by dressing as the closest thing to the class that would be a costume (Like the rogue being Batman, the mage being Gandalf, etc). Could be funny.
+1! I'll be Saruman.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2014, 04:31:40 pm »

That would be cute. Dressing up in little costumes as the world ends. May or may not scar you for life. Should you all be at a Holoween party? School?

Maybe let everyone decide their characters relations with each other?

Of course, you get to decide that both initially and after the time skip character development. But you *do* need a reason to be at the same place the same time. *Well you don't, but if you all want to start as a party you do.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2014, 06:51:46 pm »

I dunno. What do you guys think: trick or treating around the neighborhood, Halloween party, or halloween dance at school?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2014, 06:55:05 pm »

Trick or Treating. Always trick or treating.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27