Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should I do?

Revive the game as it was!
- 5 (62.5%)
Restart the game!
- 3 (37.5%)
Let the stupid game die already! JUST LET IT GOOOOOOOO!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Echo of Cthulhu: OOC *HERBERT WEST WAZ HERE?*  (Read 14903 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Echo of Cthulhu: Interest check and Pregame Stuff
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 10:41:27 pm »

About the medicine thing. How about after the apocalypse magical cures are more common... but they have a cost of sanity?
So you trade sanity for health.
Would it be fun though? Because it sounds not fun.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 10:42:46 pm »

Well, Call of Cthulhu is focused on being a horror game, not a fun game. I imagine this would be similar in philosophy. Especially since a few people compared what they think this could be to Shadow of Chernobyl.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:04 pm »

kj was also in GoD. BOULDERHAREM!

I guess you guys could have a harem of boulders if you wish, but I think it will cost you SAN points :-\

Or, we don't go hyper realistic with the medicine. Remember fun>realism.

Well we are discussing how realistic to make it, which is why I brought up the point. Anything that gets argued enough will turn into a pole, because why not.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:24 pm »

Yes, but you play those type of games because it's fun to be scared. It's not fun to be annoyed that you took some damage you couldn't avoid and got screwed because you can't get healed lest you go mad.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 10:48:44 pm »

kj was also in GoD. BOULDERHAREM!

I guess you guys could have a harem of boulders if you wish, but I think it will cost you SAN points :-\

Or, we don't go hyper realistic with the medicine. Remember fun>realism.

Well we are discussing how realistic to make it, which is why I brought up the point. Anything that gets argued enough will turn into a pole, because why not.
Rock Golum~ Not boulders~

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 10:50:11 pm »

Yes, but you play those type of games because it's fun to be scared. It's not fun to be annoyed that you took some damage you couldn't avoid and got screwed because you can't get healed lest you go mad.
Okay, compromise. You can take mystical healing energies to get healed fast and go mad... or you can try nanites or medipacks or whatever that heal you but are disposable. You can keep using energies as much as you want, if you can find a way to keep your sanity up, but the medpacks are disposable without much negative consequences.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 10:51:15 pm »

Plus you could just play a insane character. Although I do kinda agree with kj if it is to hard to heal it won't be fun.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:05 pm »

Okay, compromise. You can take mystical healing energies to get healed fast and go mad... or you can try nanites or medipacks or whatever that heal you but are disposable. You can keep using energies as much as you want, if you can find a way to keep your sanity up, but the medpacks are disposable without much negative consequences.
Works for me.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 10:53:11 pm »

Plus you could just play a insane character. Although I do kinda agree with kj if it is to hard to heal it won't be fun.
Could even minimax it so that you teeter just on the edge of unplayable catatonia and standard or garden gibbering madness so that you can keep using the health-ups without consequence. Anyway, it's not that it should be hard to heal... it's just that fucking around with mystical forces is a terrible idea in even a vaguely Lovecraftian universe.

Works for me.
Excellent. It also adds to the post-apocalyptic vibe, since you would have to scavenge for them presumably.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 10:59:03 pm »

Could even minimax it so that you teeter just on the edge of unplayable catatonia and standard or garden gibbering madness so that you can keep using the health-ups without consequence. Anyway, it's not that it should be hard to heal... it's just that fucking around with mystical forces is a terrible idea in even a vaguely Lovecraftian universe.

Not if I keep the SAN a hidden stat :P.

Now I will have to think of an appropriate healing item that is at least somewhat realistic. Might have to dip into the Mi-Go armory for this. Unless we are doing a more futuristic setting, I always assumed it would happen in the modern day. I am fine with fast-acting shots that are completely generic, though being badly damaged will still probably mean at least a week of rest. I could also just go for a "Medicine" item that is unspecified, I guess.

How realistic do we want combat, again?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:11 pm »

It could be developed after the apocalypse. Also, here's a nice name: Aztek. I came up with it for a life-extending drug in a post-apocalyptic thing and never used it.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 11:02:19 pm »

So combat........ I have no idea ask the others and I might +1 one.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 05:37:48 am »

Once again, combat should be realistic. If I get shot in the head, I don't want it to be likely for me to survive without professional medical attention. That's another thing. If we start as kids, we probably don't know medicine.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 08:57:09 am »

There is a timeskip, so we could learn medicine in the meantime. Could start players out with reduced skills to suggest it: a doctor character as a kid is "I like medicine! I know how to band-aid!", then later becomes an actual doctor (Or as close as you're going to get in the apocalypse).

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 01:24:57 pm »

Once again, combat should be realistic. If I get shot in the head, I don't want it to be likely for me to survive without professional medical attention. That's another thing. If we start as kids, we probably don't know medicine.

Yes, but how likely? Do you lose double hit points from a head shot? Or should I do my best to plot the trajectory of the bullet to mirror the exact tissue damage it would do in real life? "Realistic" can mean a lot of things.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27