Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Today I accidentally did some !!Science!! involving ressurecting dorfs...  (Read 4706 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Today I accidentally did some !!Science!! involving ressurecting dorfs...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 11:14:46 pm »

Wonder if they would bury it if I designate a coffin for Nish? I'll try this in a bit, gonna copy the save a couple times so I can keep it as is at first and see if I can reanimate it as a zombie/kill it, then resurrect the zombie like I did nish and get an army of one going on, and I think the fell mood will work for giving nish her own skin as a cloak, which is horrifyingly awesome.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 11:18:31 pm »

Nish Fortress 2014
Everything's in the news today

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 11:20:53 pm »

Don't tempt me, though I'm kinda sad that I don't think there is any way I can get Nish to meet Nish without one of them trying to eat the other....

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 05:49:37 am »

So...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You might notice that the ghost Nish was killed twice... I got one who liked crossbows and weapon racks, they made a weapon rack, and while I was moving the other to the shop and about to get Nish back up she spawned as a ghost, so I triggered the mood with her there, hoping to get a Ghostly Dwarf Bone Crossbow or something, but he just killed her, tried it again and the same result, so I flipped the ghostly flag off and she got killed and made into a crossbow.
That is her wielding The Iron-Skin of Keys, the dwarf bone crossbow, and Voidlessened, the pig leather shield, training at Evilshort the Putrid Dirt-Grave, the dwarf bone weapon rack, while her skeleton sits behind a door and cage trap where I'm hoping it will resurrect so I can put the cage in her room.

While I was gearing her up and putting her in charge of a squad, this happened:
So she's been found dead, is still missing, is equipped with a crossbow made of her own bones, AND in charge of The Turquoise Doors who are currently training at the front entrance at a weapon rack ALSO made of her bones while her skeleton sits in a reanimating portion of the map.

That got weird fast.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 08:21:58 am »

This is hilarious. PTW.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 09:17:13 am »

I'm really hoping her corpse reanimates, I tried out the undead bacon thing with a small room and upright spears linked to a lever, pasture a couple pigs, pull the lever til they die, wait, pull it again when they get up, pow, baconfest!

Nish's skeleton still hasn't reanimated.... well, the first skeleton she had, not the second, third, or the fourth, which is the one inside of her right now I think... so hard to keep track.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 10:01:50 am »

This is the craziest, most depraved piece of dwarven !!SCIENCE!! that I have ever seen.

Good work.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 10:22:54 am »

Not sure it's as depraved as the childcare thread, or the one where people tried to get rid of dorf bodyfat, but thanks, shame there isn't an easy way to do it without dfhack, but yeah, I'm still hoping the skeleton will reanimate (I notice that the switch to ghostly miner removed the normal nish listing in the dead/missing, and switching to being alive removed the ghostly one again) so I can order her to kill herself, in a sense.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:34 pm »

Not sure it's as depraved as the childcare thread, or the one where people tried to get rid of dorf bodyfat, but thanks, shame there isn't an easy way to do it without dfhack, but yeah, I'm still hoping the skeleton will reanimate (I notice that the switch to ghostly miner removed the normal nish listing in the dead/missing, and switching to being alive removed the ghostly one again) so I can order her to kill herself, in a sense.

I suspect the skeleton is flagged as 'alive' after a fashion since the soul it belongs to is alive. It may not be able to come back as long as there's a living copy.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 01:04:07 pm »

I suspect the skeleton is flagged as 'alive' after a fashion since the soul it belongs to is alive. It may not be able to come back as long as there's a living copy.

That can't be right, can it? You can reanimate multiple parts of someone's body (i.e. both arms), so the soul shouldn't be a make-or-break sort of thing.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 01:21:49 pm »

I'm really hoping her corpse reanimates, I tried out the undead bacon thing with a small room and upright spears linked to a lever, pasture a couple pigs, pull the lever til they die, wait, pull it again when they get up, pow, baconfest!

Nish's skeleton still hasn't reanimated.... well, the first skeleton she had, not the second, third, or the fourth, which is the one inside of her right now I think... so hard to keep track.
Soon everything she owns will be made of her own corpse and then not long after the entire fortress will be decorated with her body parts... and she'll still be a living militia captain

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 01:30:13 pm »

My understanding of this that the creature's soul is the creature, and the corpse is treated by the game basically like a severed limb: a completely separate object from the creature itself.

Resetting the flags on the creature poofs a new body into existence without destroying the corpse.  Presumably this process could repeat any number of times (until FPS death).
This sounds a lot like the Buddhist/Hindu belief of the soul/self/atman and reincarnation. Neat.
Buddhists have figured out how to reset all of the flags on a soul?  Neat. :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 03:44:21 pm »

Extremely unlikely, since severed limbs can reanimate, and there is little difference between a corpse and a severed limb.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 05:12:38 pm »

Extremely unlikely, since severed limbs can reanimate, and there is little difference between a corpse and a severed limb.

The presence of the head and upperbody may matter in this case. Though it could be tested by having a few more dwarfs killed then resurrected by this method and their corpses put in the reanimating biome to see if any reanimate and determine if this is a fluke.

Then trying again after severing body parts and killing and resurrecting the test subjects. See if corpses or limbs reanimate.

Then kill a few dwarfs, don't replace them and dump their corpses in the evil biome and see if they get up.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 03:38:40 am »

I've used the dfusion heal before to resurrect the dead, but they stopped showing up in unit lists and Dwarf Therapist. Must have been that dead flag thing the OP mentioned. How do I unset it?
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3