Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: On Colonies, Natives, Freedom and Trade - a colony/fortress [ISG]+[10/10]  (Read 3529 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: On Colonies, Natives, Freedom and Trade - a colony/fortress [ISG]+[0/5]
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 02:20:03 pm »

Spoiler: Person! (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 02:32:00 pm »

PTW

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 02:36:29 pm »

Name: Ivan Babić
Sex: Male
Profession:Convict (he was involved in a genocide attempt of all non humans dont ask)
Basic description: Human
Your virtue: Diligence
Your vice: Pride
Reason to leave for the colonies:
After the failed blood war. The surviving members of the genocide were taking hostage and given three options death by execution, banishment, or life long imprisonment. Ivan choose life in the colonies he still holds much of his resentment for other races but he has realized that co existence is the only option for his survival.
Item:
Basic tool kit consisting of hammer nails and a small hand axe as well as several knives

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »

Your virtue: patience
Your vice: Wrath
Those are opposites (wrath doesn't just mean "angry", it implies an inability or unwillingness to hold your violent impulses in check)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 02:59:26 pm »

Ive always seen wrath as basically going batshit crazy when pissed off, so it takes slightly longet to piss the guy off but when pissed they just. dont. stop.
Well, thats what happens to me. It takes a bit to piss me off, but when pissed even the Hulk is scared.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 03:15:53 pm »

Name: El Mast
Race: Halfling
Sex: Male
Profession: Assassin
Basic description: Red hair, brown eyes, fair skin, average build, short
Your virtue: Kindness
Your vice: Wrath
Reason to leave for the colonies: Once upon a time, El worked as an assistant brewer of alcohol and lived a pretty normal life with two living parents, a brother, a sister, and a steady relationship with a woodcarver. It was rather idyllic and he wouldn't have it any other way. Then, the human genocide against non-humans began and everyone he knew and loved were dead. He was one of the first to start fighting back, albeit he did so independently, by sneaking into the rooms of some of the leaders who led the attacks and slitting their throats in the night. Now that the war was over, he wants to get away from his past and start anew. That's why he left for the colonies.
One item in your personal hold which can be conceivably taken to the colonies: a woodcarver's knife, kept in excellent condition.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 06:04:22 pm »

Edited my virtues to something else I would be easy to RP (if able :P ).
That and yay my Theology is being put to use!
(also hai Truean)

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 08:16:25 pm »

URIST URIST URIST
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 12:35:13 pm »

I don't think I have the concentration to draw or write up anything today. That said:

- We have 9 applicants. It might sound a bit too ambitious but I am thinking of including everyone in the colonial company. Rather than having absolute control of your behaviour, if you miss turns, I won't wait for you and you will do what I think is the most appropriate here.
- Speaking about free will, what you are going to do is pretty much limited to your virtues and vices. I choose the Greco-Christian seven sins just because this provides a reasonable framework to do (and thus the contradicting player - please amend or be prepared to see odd behaviour)
- the same can be said about everyone else of the colonial company. If a horde of spear-wielding elves are charging upon you, it would be very hard for untrained infantry to keep in line unless they feel safe enough. Or when repeated explorations do not come back don't think the gun barrel is enough to "persuade" people to try once again.
- You have about 200 mouths to feed - if you manage to feed all of them.
- It will be beneficial for me to know where the colony will be first.

Location of the new colony: Pioneers have identified 3 locations:
1. Between foothills and a navigable river.
2. By a spring near a mountain pass. Need transshipment to the coast
3. On dry grassland/steppes and along a popular trade route. Along a non-navigable river.
You will receive supplies and transportation according to your selected location.

It looks like something like 3/1 for option 1, but I would entertain more votes until I get ready to draw the colonial setting.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »

I think option three would be best, so we can get farms going and trade.

Unless the river dries in summer, than option 1 is best.
Highly Opinionated Fool

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 03:02:21 pm »

Option one sounds good to me because of the navigable river part, even if we do lose out on an already existing trade route, we can eventually make our own, with the addition of river travel, likely giving us further economic benefit. Also, the steppe sounds kind of lacking in resources.
Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 04:08:42 pm »

Hi, couple of things that may hopefully make this easier on the DM and everybody.

1.) I'd go for option 1, because you can still farm there, it's potentially defensible, and there may be more resources in a hilly area (stone, ore, clay/whatever). Navigable river is huge, may provide fish, and can easily enough become a trade route. "Dry grassland," seems dry and maybe not the best for growing as it would be for grazing? I dunno. The word "dry" is throwing me off of that one.

2.) Not enough military?
If a horde of spear-wielding elves are charging upon you, it would be very hard for untrained infantry to keep in line unless they feel safe enough. Or when repeated explorations do not come back don't think the gun barrel is enough to "persuade" people to try once again.

Am I detecting a hint that we need a little more military orientation? That's fine. When I made my character (second person to make a submission) I thought I might even be a standout as a not so military character and provide some economic materials as well as housing etc.

If you would like, I could rework a chracter to be more military / troop training based. It's up to you and I'm really just trying to be helpful over here.

While we're on point, are you as DM happy with what you see so far? Anything else we could do?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:33 pm »

Name: Bran Balel
Sex:Male
Profession: Musician
Basic description: A short creature given to avoiding industry and giving his possessions away.  Except for musical instruments.  Dresses in brown because it appears cleaner than it actually is, and has messy green hair.  Rather inventive when it comes to music and avoiding hard labor.

Your virtue: Charity
Your vice: Sloth

Reason to leave for the colonies: His father shipped him out since he seemed unwilling to embark on the great journey of independent living by himself.
One item in your personal hold which can be conceivably taken to the colonies: A brand new string instrument that has never before been seen, The Brandolin! 

Manufactored on the journey from extra guitar, bass, and violin strings found in a pocket which were attached to excess food crate planks and a wooden bowl.  Somehow it sounds surprisingly wonderful!

Race: Halfling
Vote: Option 2
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 11:49:12 pm »

2.) Not enough military?
If a horde of spear-wielding elves are charging upon you, it would be very hard for untrained infantry to keep in line unless they feel safe enough. Or when repeated explorations do not come back don't think the gun barrel is enough to "persuade" people to try once again.

Am I detecting a hint that we need a little more military orientation? That's fine. When I made my character (second person to make a submission) I thought I might even be a standout as a not so military character and provide some economic materials as well as housing etc.

If you would like, I could rework a chracter to be more military / troop training based. It's up to you and I'm really just trying to be helpful over here.
I wonder if evilcherry specifically is talking about how we /make/ our characters instead of inferring their general skills by the sheets we write them out to be?
Even if one isn't versed in military lore, one could still hold the line as a 'civilian with no /formal/ military training' due to other aspects of human nature :P As in, given the current sheets we've got--it's more of a guide as to 'hey, colonist!' than telling exactly who you are.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:38 am »

What I'm trying to say is the direction of this game.

I mean if you demand "Mr Colonist !!!jump!!! into the fray and help to cover a botched retreat!" despite his lack of any experience in fights, or "50 colonists work down this mountain" when everyone is starving, you will see quite... spectacular results.

Well people will battle harden themselves. No one here thought that people will have to don hard hats as protest gear a month ago, after all.

That's all for it. Expect some updates today (defined by East Asian time).
Pages: 1 [2] 3