Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [FUNDED!] Voxel Quest: Open World Simulator RPG/roguelike (Kickstarter)  (Read 11219 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Voxel Quest: Procedural, Infinite RPG/Roguelike (Kickstarter)
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 10:45:23 pm »

No game design itself is pretty bad actually, you really need to iron that shit out asap.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest getting in an IRC channel with a bunch of guys interested and do an idea jam based on what you have already, and make sure its scope is limited enough to complete.  If your primary purpose is an engine, then your game design itself should mostly showcase the major points of that engine and have an accessible tutorial for engine users (and be prepared to do a lot of support). 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

gavanw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 11:47:47 pm »

How extendible is the engine? IE if I had the source, would I be able to replace the world generator on a macro scale, but keep the micro-scale one?

Yep, you can modify anything in the engine - not too difficult - probably the same as (or in many cases, easier) than using any other engine.

gavanw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:43 pm »

No game design itself is pretty bad actually, you really need to iron that shit out asap.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest getting in an IRC channel with a bunch of guys interested and do an idea jam based on what you have already, and make sure its scope is limited enough to complete.  If your primary purpose is an engine, then your game design itself should mostly showcase the major points of that engine and have an accessible tutorial for engine users (and be prepared to do a lot of support).

Thanks, not a bad idea actually.  I have a few things left on my todo list before letting out the source:
1) double checking all licenses to make sure I am not violating any laws
2) cleanup of code
3) better commenting and documentation

Some of these things will occur over time, I'm primarily concerned about item #1.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:59 pm »

As always, I'm kinda wary of Kickstarter and devs that I don't know, especially when there's no design doc.

But this looks cool and I'm feeling optimistic.  Shut up and take my money.

gavanw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 02:11:17 am »

As always, I'm kinda wary of Kickstarter and devs that I don't know, especially when there's no design doc.

But this looks cool and I'm feeling optimistic.  Shut up and take my money.

There is a design doc, here (it is somewhat dated though and needs quite a few more areas to be covered):
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaotKT7v5hNdDBjNEUtc0NmaU5wNzdRRjVqbkZMdWc&usp=sharing

I'll shut up now :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:13:09 am by gavanw »

gavanw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 02:33:57 am »

I remember reading its KS page at the beginning of its campaign and not backing it. This project is far too nebulous for its own good. It's only the basis of an engine.

"The game will probably be very challenging, but not unfair."
Does he not even have a basic game design document ???

There are really too many things like this example that bother me for this KS project.

Edit: I agree with Salmeuk.

Linked it, but I'll link again for convenience (It was on the website, but I should put it on the KS page - it was in the first draft of the KS page, think it got deleted accidentally):
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaotKT7v5hNdDBjNEUtc0NmaU5wNzdRRjVqbkZMdWc&usp=sharing

Design doc is dated.
The project is nebulous - there is no gameplay yet! I'm designing it as I go and taking any/all suggestions. :)  Hate to break it to everyone, but no game designer knows exactly what their game will ultimately look like - they tweak it until it works.  Unless of course your game design is so dead simple that it is easy (think: Flappy Bird).  Same goes for coding - I don't know exactly what will get implemented when, I prioritize features as they come and often new ones are needed.  Don't take my word for it, read up on some post mortems and look at all the features that never made it off the cutting floor. :)

Anyhow, I've got a vague design in my head, and I am ironing it out based on community input.  The most important thing to me is to get a generalized framework out with which people like you can design really good games (because I cannot yet profess to be a good designer). :D

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:39 am »

There may be 2^64 unique objects, but how many of them are actually looking and acting significantly different from others?
._.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 01:32:14 pm »

There may be 2^64 unique objects, but how many of them are actually looking and acting significantly different from others?
"acting" as in "different stats" or as in "different mechanics"?

And it would be exceedingly difficult to make 2^64 unique object visuals, even if you're just working with sprites, I would expect.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 02:52:50 pm »

"acting" as in "different stats" or as in "different mechanics"?

And it would be exceedingly difficult to make 2^64 unique object visuals, even if you're just working with sprites, I would expect.
"acting" as in "their behaviour is different from other objects", meaning either different mechanics or a significantly different distribution of stats. And I know that it is exceedingly difficult to make that. I just have an experience of "procedural" generation being very ineffective in generating unique objects or unique locations.
._.

gavanw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 10:03:34 pm »

The degree with which objects are randomized is up to you (or whoever is designing the given mod).  You could make each object uniquely colored with a random lighting ramp (256 values in a lighting ramp, each with 2^24 possible colors, or (2^24)^256 possible ramps, many of which would be useless noise ).  Many other things can be ranodmized in an object - scale, texturing, etc.

(edited for bad math)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:25:30 pm by gavanw »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 10:39:12 pm »

What info is stored per voxel? Is it just color, or an index to a material pallet?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:33 pm »

Oh, there is a design doc.  Uh, it seems a little nebulous, but you've already got my support.  Here's hoping your game gets off the ground.

gavanw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:25 pm »

Oh, there is a design doc.  Uh, it seems a little nebulous, but you've already got my support.  Here's hoping your game gets off the ground.

Awesome, thanks! :)

gavanw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 11:26:48 pm »

What info is stored per voxel? Is it just color, or an index to a material pallet?

Right now 64 bits per rendered voxel: normal (24), depth (16), material (16), various flags (8)
In terms of the information that goes into constructing that voxel, much more.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 07:38:20 am »

Japa is considering turning this into something akin to Stonesense. :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5