Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DoorKickers! The World's Least Patient SWAT Team  (Read 6931 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
DoorKickers! The World's Least Patient SWAT Team
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:06:44 pm »

DoorKickers, a top down real time strategy game putting you in command of a SWAT team, has just been released, and is beautiful.

Taking cues from SWAT 4 and Old Rainbow 6 with a presentation and gameplay style more akin to a streamlined Frozen Synapse, you guide your troopers through drug busts and hostage situations using a real time interface with an active pause system that lets you plan out your engagements ahead of time.  With three go-on-signal hotkeys and a simple but comprehensive set of pre-plannable commands, it's possible (and worth bonus points!) to completely plan out an entire mission and execute it in one long string of commands.

You've got ten customizable dudes with their own names, classes, and callsigns, and successful missions earn you squad XP and gold stars which you can spend to unlock equipment.  There's also combat doctrines you get as your squad levels up which work similarly to talents in MMOs.  You can customize each trooper to fit certain situations and swap them in as missions change.  There's a huge pile of single missions which are unconnected from each other, as well as three campaigns where your squad persists between missions.  If somebody dies in one mission he's dead for the rest of the campaign.

It's pretty sweet once you get the hang of it but some of the missions are very tough.  There's a few mechanics that aren't clear at first (Troopers have to raise their weapons to fire and this can lead to delays when opening doors that get people killed.  Doors in general take a lot of practice to get good at.  The cone-shaped zone behind a door is called the "fatal funnel" for a reason.) and the pathing mechanism can occasionally be awkward, but overall the gameplay is super tight and well done.  It's easy to learn but hard to do perfectly.

The one issue I mentioned in the name though is that actual police combat doctrine is... loose...  If you're familiar with games like SWAT 4 you know there's rules of engagement.  You can't shoot a perp unless he's pointing a gun at someone and generally the police prefer to take people alive where possible, employing a variety of less than lethal tools to do so.

This SWAT team doesn't give a fuck.  This SWAT team has a special combat doctrine that teaches you where to shoot perps when they don't know you're there.  This SWAT team has non-lethal ordnance but only uses it to stun enemies for easier killing.  This SWAT team uses breaching charges to kill people.

This SWAT team is fucking awesome.

Anybody else get this yet?  Share your strategies!
Shoes...

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: DoorKickers! The World's Least Patient SWAT Team
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:35 pm »

I see games are starting to reflect reality a bit better now. 

Going to look some play vids up to take a look at this.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:29:59 pm »

I'm probably going to buy this on sometime and love it, but... my first impression on seeing the trailer was "why are they just shooting everyone?  Why are they killing people they just flashbanged?" :o
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:38:32 pm »

Like I said, World's Least Patient SWAT Team.  It may be less of a mental strain to just pretend they're some kind of counterterrorist dudes.

Also don't discount the pistol once you unlock assault class.  With the upgrade doctrines pistols are brutal at close range and will usually kill people before they can get a shot off.  Longer ranges you'll still want rifles.
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:13:22 pm »

"Endorsed by the Ferguson PD!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:31:17 pm »

I would compare it more to the thingie with the cult in the 90s, or the more recent Russian theater thing with the rebels than to the Ferguson PD.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:24 pm »

He might be commenting on this game's timeliness, or lack thereof.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 07:35:34 pm »

SWAT Teams in general have been getting mud in their eyes recently in the media.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:51 pm »

PTW so hard
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:28:25 pm »

Watching these posts
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:26 pm »

Okay yeah, pistols are ridiculously good.  The 1911 in particular, Mozambique drops fuckers instantly.  Close range mainly though. 

Oh and I somehow forgot the most important thing of all!  The thing no game ever gets fucking right.  A chambered bullet doesn't disappear if you reload the magazine, and you've got the rare elite soldiers who don't cock their guns after a partial reload, jettisoning a perfectly good round.

They're even nice enough to assume you chambered a round on the way to the place, giving everyone an extra bullet in their guns when the mission starts.  I've never seen a video game do that.

Shoes...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 09:14:10 pm »

Ive seen one game that does that, but its made by the US army partially as a training tool...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 08:08:40 pm »

The trailer is reflecting only the half of the game, imo... it doesn't show nor mention that you can pause the game whenever you want and give your orders when paused. I own it and really like the game. It's challenging and fun.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 11:16:42 pm »

I'm probably going to buy this on sometime and love it, but... my first impression on seeing the trailer was "why are they just shooting everyone?  Why are they killing people they just flashbanged?" :o
MEYRIKUH!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 12:40:40 am »

You've got ten customizable dudes

Can't really check it out at the moment, but is there permadeath?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4