Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: March of the Disciples - 3.5 DnD Campaign IC  (Read 20540 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
March of the Disciples - 3.5 DnD Campaign IC
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:57 pm »

OOC Thread Original Post – No OOC comments past this line.

The crisp autumn winds surround you as you walk forward towards the cave. The slightly damp ground belies the cold rain that forced the group to camp early the previous day. Though now it is mostly dried, you can still feel mud sticking to your boots. The leaves themselves form armies and attempt to defeat the giants among them when the wind gives its chilling scream. The skittering plant life fails to penetrate your clothing and they are brushes aside like so many before them.

Your group has traveled fifty miles from Riverwatch at the behest of your patron. You do not know your compatriots but the man who hired you was quite clear that each would be vital for the task that lied ahead. Though you have had a few days to acquaint yourselves it has not filled in any proper details.

Your journey started, as many do, within a tavern. You often took odd jobs to make ends meet. One cannot subsist on prowess alone, which forced you to take work as a mercenary. While your reasons are your own it is not any mystery as to why your work has been so profitable as of late.

A strange man in a robe which obscured his features had offered you a small task. He claimed that a cave with a small tribe of kobolds had offended his sensibilities. He offered a vast amount of money for a job well done, as well as a promise for more work further down the line. Whether you accepted immediately or whether some other circumstance required further dealings does not matter. The simple fact is that your funds had begun to run low and no matter how suspicious the man, you knew you had to take the job lest financial ruin await.

This is what brings you before the cave whose features resemble a wolf’s head more than a rock formation. Those of you who inhale the scent find that the autumn morning has done nothing to stop the rancid smell of rotting meat from permeating the air. Bones of cattle and deer litter the outside while a small humanoid skull rests atop a bent wooden spear.

Your quarry lies within. The man made it perfectly clear that there would be seven kobolds within the cave. The seventh, and largest, was apparently the leader. The man demanded this creature's prized possession, a bent copper rod with the likeness of a skull at the top, be brought to him. Now, all that was left was to accomplish the job.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:59:58 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: March of the Disciples - 3.5 DnD Campaign IC
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »

Sharos frowned slightly as he edged away from the rest of the group -- which still seemed to have been haphazardly assembled -- and took flight.

Examine the cave from above. Look for other entrances, and peculiarities in general.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:47:17 pm »

Devon glides forward to investigate the humanoid skull after surveying the other bones. "They have a knack for decorating." She says with a tinge of humor in her voice. She inhales deeply. "Ah... smells like home."
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:56:37 pm »

Examine the cave from above. Look for other entrances, and peculiarities in general.

The mouth of the cave proper begins after a fifteen foot long 'snout'. Flying atop the snout of the cave you take a detailed look around. The jagged outcroppings that must have once been appear to have been smoothed by the passage of time as there are only two atop the wolf's head. The left 'ear' appears to be smaller and made of a rock which is perforated by thousands of tiny holes giving it a semi-transparent look. The right 'ear' is the same granite as the rest of the cave. Strangely, the right ear appears to be lopsided and ready to fall off at any moment.

Aside from that there is nothing of note.

investigate the humanoid skull

The skull appeared human from a distance, yet upon closer examination it is a halfling's skull. From what little information you can gather this skull has been picked clean by crows and bleached white by the sun. The spear which holds it in place was possibly the weapon which killed the halfling judging by lack of other head wounds. However this doesn't prove much.

Aside from that there is nothing of note.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:15:52 am »

Prod the right ear.

3. Run Resize Enable

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:49:29 am »

Feckle speaks softly to the group, and then leans forward to mumble at his badger in a strange language incomprehensible to all others present.

”Please, don’t trample the entrance yet, let me take a look to see if this is only about kobolds…”

”Dimble. Smell? Kobolds. Anything else?”

Whilst Dimble the Badger Scents the air for a trace of anything else non-kobold, descend and use Pass Without Trace so as not to ruin the possible tracks and search the ground around the cave entrance for tracks which might not be kobolds. And make sure to Listen at the entrance before we go in. When we go in Feckle will mount back up and get his bow at the ready.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:51:32 am by lawastooshort »

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:29:55 pm »

Venena sighs, looking at the cave
"Well, this is going to be fun. Kill some Kobolds and get money. Now I hope none of them are some sort of cleric or priest..."
Venena looked over at Devon enjoying herself with the corpses.
"Seems like someone I might get along with, rather than that Gnome. From what I've seen at least"
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 03:37:14 pm »

Eastley, who had been leaning against a tree up to this point, steps forward and speaks briskly and somewhat cheerfully.

"Well, then, you all let me know when you're ready to head inside."
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 03:46:44 pm »

"Not like there's much to do out here anyhow, but the gnome seems to know what he's doing. I doubt there would be much more than kobolds though."
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

Sharos reluctantly abandoned his inspection of the 'ears' of the cave at the sudden sound, swooping back down to land near Eastly, "Interior is disagreeable. Dark, dank, cramped. Better to draw out, if we cannot take by surprise?"

3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 04:41:47 pm »

"We could, perhaps, take them by surprise. If you have not noticed--" Eastley indicates his midnight-black garb--"I am rather well-suited for stealth."
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »

With a flat stare, Sharos deadpans, "No. Had not. Am as well. Follow, then, but do not give away. I will scout."

Move into the mouth of the cave, Hide in Plain Sight once in shadows. Sneak into the cave, flying as close to the ceiling as possible.

3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:10:04 pm »

Prod the right ear.

Prodding it does nothing. Nor, it is important to note, does pushing it hard. It would appear that you would need a bit of help to move the rock. What you do notice is that it is certainly not granite despite all appearances.

Whilst Dimble the Badger Scents the air for a trace of anything else non-kobold, descend and use Pass Without Trace so as not to ruin the possible tracks and search the ground around the cave entrance for tracks which might not be kobolds. And make sure to Listen at the entrance before we go in. When we go in Feckle will mount back up and get his bow at the ready.

All tracks appear to be that of kobolds. Though there are some drag marks and a few hand prints that appear to be human in nature.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:20 pm »

The dark dampness of the cave is suffocating. Combined with the ever increasing smell of death coming from ahead. If the smell were not enough the torches lining a single route, which appears to be ceremonial as each torch is accompanied with a humanoid skull, which leads your way.

It takes only seven minutes to reach the main chamber. It is roughly large enough to hold twenty five people comfortably. A small puddle of muddy water bubbles nearby and trickles into a nearby hole. If the smell of death outside was intolerable, here it is nearly overpowering. Seven kobolds stand in the center of the room around a large bonfire chanting near a motionless corpse. Each kobold is clothed in patchwork robes made from trophies of previous kills. You are certain that at least one of the robes contains the scalp of the corpse judging by the pony-tailed hair dripping with blood. The leader of the group is chanting loudest. As described he carried a bent copper rod with a skull's likeness atop of it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 09:23:56 pm »

Head in there. As quietly and hidden as possible. Take 20 if I must.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25