Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can i use mine carts for just transporting dwarfs?  (Read 1460 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can i use mine carts for just transporting dwarfs?
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:34:58 pm »

Can I use mine carts to be setup just too transfer dwarfs to different areas?

So if a dwarf wants to get from one area to the next only connected by a track with a mine cart, will they pathfind and take the cart?
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: can i use mine carts for just transporting dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »

Oh also, can i make it so that the mine cart track is like a one way loop?

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 02:49:06 pm »

You can have dwarfs ride in empty carts, but it will be a job and not a pathfinding tool (i.e. they'll do it whether they want to be on the other end or not, as long as there's a cart waiting to be ridden). If a dwarf wants to get to another area and the only connection is a minecart track he will simply walk along the track, oblivious to the risk of collision with oncoming minecarts. So dwarf-moving by minecarts doesn't really work, as cool as it might be to have a subway in your fortress.

You can certainly have a track that loops on itself. There's no way to set a track as "one-way", but obviously you can have all your routes running in the same direction

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 03:59:25 pm »

Yes, you can choose your dwarf to ride in your cart, even if it's full.
And you can make it one way just by adding a little gap, where your cart will be flying and landing again on tracks, you just must accelerate it a little.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:43 pm »

thats a disappointment i suggested my carts so many times in the past i was hoping to make a subway train system.

Like lets say i wanted to set it up so that one area connects to another.

I have a dinning room in one area and a bedroom at the other end of the track.

my little friends wont take the mine cart from the bed room, too the dinning room and then back too the bed room?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:38:16 pm »

Not as you intend, the closest you can have is segregated sections of fortress but you need to provide all the facilities in each section for it to run properly...

You only need a 5-tile mine cart system, 1 tile on each side serving as track stops, set to ride, 1 tile on each side for the cart to gain momentum, and 1 tile in the middle as a pit.

Dwarves would need to have the labour for minecart handling, and they'll eventually take a job to ride from one side to the other, if you set the stop on the other side as "push" then they'll push the empty cart back allowing for another dwarf to ride... and so on... if you want to bring dwarves back you revert the system.

They won't use the carts to path to a job, for food or drink or rest... ;)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:10 pm »

okay thanks Kaos, ill have to experiment. I hope toady will add in a "train" system at some point,

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 12:14:02 pm »

This kind of makes me want to try making minecarts for crossbow soldiers so they just fly by, shoot at goblins, then get dumped out and can pick up more ammo... that's probably much more complicated to make work than it sounds though...

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:49:55 pm »

This kind of makes me want to try making minecarts for crossbow soldiers so they just fly by, shoot at goblins, then get dumped out and can pick up more ammo... that's probably much more complicated to make work than it sounds though...
ATM it's not possible, they are not shoting (but normal labor dorf with crossbows are shoting just like normal). Tested on dwarwes who was saw before shooting to gobos by wall and restrained gobos on the same level, but in card they was not shoting (worth mention was one not disciplined dorf, who fall out from riding minecart and land badly on ground. He is now on bed in hospital... but i do not know if he jumped out or just something funny happend)
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.