Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014: It's Over!  (Read 24876 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014: IT BEGINS
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2014, 07:47:25 am »

For anyone struggling, remember: motivation is useless. It's fleeting. Discipline is what you need. To write even when you don't want to. You have to force those words to come out, no matter how bad they are. The Muses flock to the disciplined, not the motivated. It's not easy, but if it was, everyone would be doing it. ;)

That's just my two cents though. I need to get started in on today's word count myself. Daylight Saving's Time is giving me an extra hour to work with this morning, since I forgot about it. :D
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2014, 08:17:54 am »

For anyone struggling, remember: motivation is useless. It's fleeting. Discipline is what you need. To write even when you don't want to. You have to force those words to come out, no matter how bad they are. The Muses flock to the disciplined, not the motivated. It's not easy, but if it was, everyone would be doing it. ;)

Hell yea. No second guessing or editing. Just get the words out - you can mess with it later.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2014, 09:47:25 am »

I really needed to hear that. :)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2014, 09:50:39 am »

If you aren't on pace, don't give up. If you run out of ideas, drop some ninjas on your protagonist or something and let them spend a chapter dealing with random plot ninjas... but don't give up. If you aren't done by December first, DON'T GIVE UP! The greatest novel never written is worse than the shittiest first draft in the history of literature... because whoever wrote that shitty draft had the grit and vinegar to get it done.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2014, 12:47:33 pm »

3,457 words today. I know I started out before November wanting to hit 4k, but I think 3.34k is far more realistic most days. I might be edging burn out in the long run, but unless I push harder than today, I'll be fine through November. I need to make up the difference with Day 1's count if I'm going to hit 100k for certain at this rate, but otherwise I'm off to a good start again this year. Just can't let myself peter out like the years before last.

I really needed to hear that. :)

Good to hear it! Now get those words down on paper/word processing/flayed flesh/whatever works for you if you haven't already. Your story is waiting and it needs to be written! :D

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2014, 02:38:34 pm »

Another 2k today. Starting to find an enjoyable stride.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2014, 01:07:06 pm »

I'm doing well! That's day 3 done, and over 6000 words already. I hope I can keep this up!

I'm still posting these on the blog. It would really help to know people are reading it, so please, have a look when you have a minute. It's turning out to be about a girl who sees ghosts, and it turns out that there are a lot more ghosts than you might expect. Inspired by Neil Gaiman, along with a lot of other authors and my own odd little head.

http://meganleeprose.wordpress.com/

If anyone else is considering doing the same, please post it here! I'll gladly read you guys' stuff as well. : )

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2014, 01:13:41 pm »

Haven't written anything since the first, but the month is still young and I'm at ~1600 words.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2014, 01:46:02 pm »

I have nearly a thousand words! Haha! Ha! Ha... ;_;

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2014, 02:41:30 pm »

Got another 2k done for today. Somehow my main char got kidnapped by hill gypsies that do stand-up comedy with the skulls of their deceased relatives.

Yeah, I don't know either.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:42 pm »

Six. Bloody. Hours.

Seriously. I spent six hours struggling through today. That's almost twice what it took me yesterday. Admittedly, I took two thirty minute long breaks for food and such this time, plus a few smaller breaks. But at least I did it. I hit my goal and stretched just a little further, for a total of 3403 words today. Puts my grand total at 8918 words. I'm a bit short to hit my 100k goal by the end of the month still, but I'm confident I'll be able to make up for day one's inadequacies eventually if I just keep on writing like this.

I just really hope it doesn't take six hours every day. I can't do that all the time. It's exhausting.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2014, 03:34:47 pm »

I've only done two hours at most. Still, I'm only aiming for a 50k novel, and I'm getting close to 1500 words for today. Today was annoying because it's one of those off days. Well, once more into the breach to stop procrastinating, then shower.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2014, 11:47:05 pm »

I'm still posting these on the blog. It would really help to know people are reading it, so please, have a look when you have a minute.

I did have a look here and there.  Mainly skimming paragraphs until something caught my eye.  Your part about the ghost girl on the tree was quite interesting.

Currently sitting at around 6,500 total but I'd really like to try and push for 8k total tonight, at least I'm ahead of my goal for a 2k average thanks to the weekend.

I'm willing to throw snipits of my stuff in spoilers but I don't want to mess around posting the whole thing anywhere.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2014, 08:00:02 am »

I like it! Though you're very right about the comma spam. It drove me out of the reading and into editor mode a few times. But punctuation isn't always a simple thing to get down pat, and hey, it's a first draft. Keep it up! :D

Hm, if everyone else is posting excerpts, I suppose I'll put a snippet up here before I get started in on today's word count. I'm not putting the whole thing up anywhere simply because I'd very much like the possibility of publishing in the future, after revising and revising and revising and... actually having some short fiction published first. But still, here goes showing off my less-than-polished mess (the first page, give or take a few dozen words, of the first chapter after the prologue), for better or worse:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:22:56 am by inEQUALITY »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2014, 08:02:58 am »

It's a few days in and I haven't had the time, plan or motivation to write a single word. I'm not gonna be able to complete this.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21