Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: The United Earth Expeditionary Fleet -- Alien Fire  (Read 22162 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The United Earth Expeditionary Fleet -- First contact
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 01:01:40 pm »

Also propose alliance with Commander Pelsk :v
And possibly anyone else?

"What would I gain from allying with you?"
"What would Earth gain from an alliance? As we've both seen, there are external threats--and not just each other. We will lose more, alone, before we can even gain a foothold to the stars."

Propose mechanic on alliances :P
"Yes, there are certainly threats that must be dealt with. But, the question is what would the alliance bring? Currently, there are ships our Scouts can't destroy, but I believe a few upgrades to the Fighter's systems will be able to handle all currently known threats.

On the other hand, I also realize that Pelsk Bravo contains a planet that you seem to wish to share. Of course, my ships will reach the planet first. You know this, and I know this.

So, how about this: I will ally with you, if you help me get Research on the Point Defense systems. We can finish it if we work on it together."

Research Point Defense instead of Railguns.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 01:00:19 am »

((Hey, umm, Alpha Centauri is supposed to be the star closest to our own so what are all these other solar systems? Was that Alpha Centauri stuff just fluff and we've already gone past it?))
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 01:08:06 am »

((Random fact: The likelyhood of a single star system outside a nebula lacking a planet is within a fraction of a millionth. So that planetless star system is a major cosmic oddity~))

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 06:04:02 am »

((Hey, umm, Alpha Centauri is supposed to be the star closest to our own so what are all these other solar systems? Was that Alpha Centauri stuff just fluff and we've already gone past it?))
((I call it gameplay and story segregation :P More seriously, I haven't actually put much thought into that--perhaps humanity has found a greater goal in the extermination of these alien scum...))

So has the tiruin/webadict gone through or not? I wasn't able to update for two  days because you two aren't making it clear :|

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 06:13:38 am »

((So, point defenses give full defense against missiles. Ok. But none against kinetic and half against beam? Am I reading that right?))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 06:25:59 am »

That does seem weird...I'll have to change it to Full Defense and Partial Defense.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:32:35 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:39 am »

((I call it gameplay and story segregation :P More seriously, I haven't actually put much thought into that--perhaps humanity has found a greater goal in the extermination of these alien scum...))

So has the tiruin/webadict gone through or not? I wasn't able to update for two  days because you two aren't making it clear :|
Eh... Just update anyway?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 02:52:40 pm »

((If it's laser based PD, it should do almost nothing vs kinetic, partial vs beam, and full vs missile, if it's kinetic based then it should do partial/full vs beam, partial/full vs kinetic, and partial/full vs missile, which one is based on the dodge ability of the missiles, the quantity of chaff, and the momentum of the chaff. Missile based point defense is probably full vs missiles, partial vs kinetic, and useless vs beam~))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 03:06:06 pm »

((Could you explain to me how pd, of any kind, would defend against a beam weapon?))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 03:29:21 pm »

((Could you explain to me how pd, of any kind, would defend against a beam weapon?))
Kinetic point defense is based on throwing stuff in front of a missile to stop it.

Throwing stuff in fron of a laser works just as well.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 03:37:20 pm »

((If it's laser based PD, it should do almost nothing vs kinetic, partial vs beam, and full vs missile, if it's kinetic based then it should do partial/full vs beam, partial/full vs kinetic, and partial/full vs missile, which one is based on the dodge ability of the missiles, the quantity of chaff, and the momentum of the chaff. Missile based point defense is probably full vs missiles, partial vs kinetic, and useless vs beam~))
How did you get lasers fending off lasers but not kinetic or missiles getting only partial against kinetic?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 04:00:04 pm »

((Deflecting kinetic requires an adjustment of trajectory, missiles would be extremely long ranged PD if they want to have any chance of deflecting a large kinetic shell, close range against chaff/ball bearings/shrapnel, they could deflect some with an explosion but not all. Chaff vs a beam is going to fuggle the beam, specially if it's reflective chaff, chaff clouds are very hard to hit with more chaff, there will be some impacts and deflections if two chaff clouds impact one another, but most chaff will keep going. Lasers do not produce kinetic energy, the gasses produced from vaporizing part of a material are the only kinetic input. Lasers would have to be extremely longranged to provide any real deflection ability against a kinetic shell and would be pretty much useless vs chaff clouds. Lasers are likely actually partial beams, specifically supercharged particles launched at considerable fractions of light speed, it's much more economic and damaging then a standard beam laser, which needs a constant focus on a single spot to do any real damage. Particles hitting particles can deflect, although you need a godly targeting computer or sheer blind luck to hit.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 04:48:00 pm »

Guys, are you really suggesting throwing stuff in front of an enemy's laser in order to stop it?

I mean, how do you even know where the beam will hit, before it hits you (assuming targetted pd, not huge chaff clouds)?

For the record, chaff and the like are usually put under the header of 'countermeasures', not pd.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:54:30 pm by Radio Controlled »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 04:56:53 pm »

Meanie, you edited before I could argue something you mentioned in passing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 05:06:39 pm »

((If it's a laser, you have a good deal of time to launch chaff infront of the beam before stuff starts melting. Point defense can include chaff canisters, ever heard of reactive armor?))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22