Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS from 40 to 7 after 1 season change  (Read 1798 times)

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
  • Azerax stops posting, seeking child.
    • View Profile
FPS from 40 to 7 after 1 season change
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:29:45 am »

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine what has caused a big drop in FPS (DF2014) after a season change.  The fort is about the same size (post season it is about 20x20 larger, which I walled off with a bridge).  Is there any way to count total world creatures? (off screen and on?).  I've also use a draw bridge to destroy most of my extra food and gave away pretty much everything not nailed down when a trader stopped by, but the FPS didn't improve.  I killed all my animals so my fort population post-season change is about 50 creatures less then it was pre-season change... so my next guess is something happened off screen.  I did create the world with many civs and a long history.

thanks all,
Scott

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS from 40 to 7 after 1 season change
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:32:27 am »

what season is it? If it's autumn it may have to do with the excess fruit and leaves that are falling...

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:42:19 am »

it is indeed Autumn, I'll let it chug to winter to see what happens

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:17:51 am »

If you've got DFHack, you may want to fire off:

clean map item

That will remove the splatter from fallen fruit and leaves.  Won't help during the transition while it's falling off the trees, but it will help once it's all done.

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:45:57 pm »

Ambush?
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

Harken

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force has arrived? Good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:33:13 am »

Check your animals, I've noticed anytime you unpasture them and they don't have a valid route to a meeting area due to a locked door or something similar my fps is cut in half. It's like they keep path failing endlessly.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:34:45 am by Harken »
Dwarf Fortress utilizes the most advanced graphics engine, your brain.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:18:32 am »

Did the trade caravan arrive already? My FPS was cut in half when the dwarven traders showed up with 6 wagons and a couple of yaks. All went back to normal after I sold them by junk items and send them on their way.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 11:41:00 am »

I cleaned everything, gave everything to the caravan (and let it leave), killed off all animals, even walled off my fortress from the outside and nothing helped.  I've put that fortress on hold and have started a new map, small world, short history, 3x3 embark area.  have 93 citizens and am running at 65fps, never had that before, so it has to be tied to world size/history (I've done 3x3 embark before)

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 03:16:15 pm »

I'm quite sure I once got a serious FPS drop due to a bunch of crundles being stuck on a wall in an unexplored cavern...

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »

So far in 0.40.14 I'm having the standard good 200 FPS with 60 dwarves. Last time I played was around .05 and I had like 15 FPS at this point so it seems Toady has certainly done *some* fixes since then. I hope it won't suddenly drop though.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:41:58 pm »

Now at 116 dwarves and the FPS has plummeted in just a few seconds' time from 160 to 80. I'm heavily suspecting it to have something to do with the forgotten beast down in the caverns murdering absolutely everything it sees, so there's a shitton of miasma floating around along with fire and smoke from the fire imps that it keeps attacking (and which keep setting the caverns on fire).
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 11:37:46 am »

Check your animals, I've noticed anytime you unpasture them and they don't have a valid route to a meeting area due to a locked door or something similar my fps is cut in half. It's like they keep path failing endlessly.
Did you report this on the bugtracker yet?

oh_no

hagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:03:17 pm »

I think it might already be covered by this report, apparently its been a problem since 40d, and it wasn't picked up during the recent bug purges.

Probably best to use pastures where possible. For my egg-layers, I tend to put them in a largish room with a lockable door. If you then make your pastures in the room, the problem can be slightly alleviated. Still not ideal though.

I've always gone down to about 20 at most once I pop the caverns and have 100+ dwarves, maybe 30 if I optimise for FPS. 40.xx put me down to the teens after a year and a half, the later versions have been better (possibly after 40.10?).

If it's after a season change, it could be due to world simulation?