Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!DRAGONFIRE!!  (Read 1028 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
!!DRAGONFIRE!!
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »

Hey all. Recently I managed to trap a dragon in a small 3x1 space bordered by fortifications, equipped with a drawbridge to act as shutters for the dragon's line of sight. Eager to test out the awesome destructive potential of !!DRAGONFIRE!!, I tied a puppy two tiles in front of the fortifications and pulled the lever.

Dragon spits a glorious amount of fire, which... does nothing to the little puppy apart from scaring it. The puppy is running nuts on its leash as the dragon breathes more and more dragonfire, but there isnt a single scratch on the puppy at the end of 10 blasts.

So have I overestimated dragons? I know its deadly; it managed to melee an entire caravan at my depot, but the dragonfire really seems to be lacklustre compared to its claws.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: !!DRAGONFIRE!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:25:48 pm »

Do you except the fire to cut it? Fire burns, it'll turn to a pile of ash or something after a while.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 01:14:49 pm »

Really hot things don't do much damage when you disable temperature calculations in d_init.txt.

Turn on temperature calculations if you want dragonfire to destroy stuff.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 05:08:46 pm »

Dragonfire is enough to melt adamantine given extended exposure, so yeah. Check the combat report; is there anything about the puppy actually getting caught in the fire?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »

I was expecting burning puppies, which was sadly absent from the whole affair.

There is no combat log relating to the puppy when I checked; the dragon might as well be breathing air at the puppy.  For science, I tried pitting another puppy right above a burning trade depot (which was incinerated by the dragon previously). Once again, the puppy seemed to be untouched by the flames.

I'm suspecting I screwed something up with the settings while trying to install a graphics pack previously... either that or I've accidentally bred a litter of demonic hellhounds impervious to fire.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:36:35 pm »

....And the prize goes to Loci, who successfully guessed that it was the d_init file as the cause. Sorry guys, I dont know much about the init files so it didin't occur to me to check :P

The dream to breed demonic puppies is, unfortunately, dead and buried. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to create a giant dragonfire oven deathtrap.

Thanks to everyone else who helped :)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 11:40:44 pm »

Good luck, and watch out for grass! I suggest putting a magma safe floor in a wide radius around your death trap. It'll slow down, but not stop, dragon fire spreading.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 04:03:47 am »

The dream to breed demonic puppies is, unfortunately, dead and buried. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to create a giant dragonfire oven deathtrap.

So endeth one dream...
So another lives on.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:20:12 pm »

not sure if it's changed, but fire used to kill by making fat bleed, it'd only damage objects otherwise. Anyone without fat (emaciated?) or just very little of it could survive being set on fire, even though the clothing wouldn't
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:59 pm »

Dragonfire is enough to melt adamantine given extended exposure, so yeah.
Only when near creatures and non-metal objects, though. All metal objects and buildings are otherwise immune to dragonfire itself, for some reason.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dragonfire

Good luck, and watch out for grass! I suggest putting a magma safe floor in a wide radius around your death trap. It'll slow down, but not stop, dragon fire spreading.
Material doesn't matter for floors. Constructions don't burn.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:54:04 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 08:11:00 pm »

Wow... So a lignite floor will never be a !!lignite floor!!? Disappointing.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 08:33:12 pm »

Wow... So a lignite floor will never be a !!lignite floor!!? Disappointing.
Roads might burn. Or they might just deconstruct and leave you with some ‼lignite‼.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?