Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Commissar of armaments (weapon design game)  (Read 7219 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Commissar of armaments (weapon design game)
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 04:18:53 pm »

You got plenty of bad production rolls but your doctrine rolls dodged bad numbers.  Congratulations, you have no idiot generals with absurd ideas.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 04:21:17 pm »

Hey, what Mondragón is our Mondragón?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »

Hey, what Mondragón is our Mondragón?
I'm not sure what you're asking here, but it's either 'Mondragon M1908 Rifle', or "the only Mondragon on the list" (I guess we're Mexcian or in this Timeline he moved he moved).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 04:55:49 pm »

Well, the dude came up with three guns, two of them being bolt action and one semi-auto...
Highly Opinionated Fool

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 05:05:35 pm »

Well, the dude came up with three guns, two of them being bolt action and one semi-auto...
He also teamed with Émile Rimailho to make a 75mm gun. It was a surprisingly good gun.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 06:49:25 pm »

It's the semi-auto version.

I mostly agree with the list, but I suggest replacing the Mondragon Rifle with the comparable but older 1893 Spanish Mauser. As a bonus, a veresion exists that can be loaded with the same caliber as our Mosin-Nagants.
Mondragon 1908 is actually semi-automatic, which is a massive advantage, provided adequate supply of ammunition exists. If you want M93 Spanish on the list, we can replace the Mosin-Nagant (I don't know enough about M93's tactical-technical stats to support or oppose this substitution).
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 07:35:11 am »

Another pre-update list.  Thank TopHat for arming your enemy :)

Intelligence report from our neighbor.

Enfield revolver (1880) [1]
(77) They still use revolvers instead of pistols
(1) The only factory producing those was closed long time ago. And they always used imported ammunition for those

Rifle: Lee-Metford (1884) [1]
(74) Their army is armed with a bolt action rifle that is worse than our Mosin rifles.
(96) Yet they have well developed small arms industry that produce enough of that rifles.

HMG: Maxim(1884) [1]
(74) They have many more Maxim machineguns than we do
(30) Their machinegun production is comparable to ours.

MP18(Imported; 1918) [8*0.5=4]
(21) Some of their best units are armed with new modern imported weapon called submachine guns.
(82) They produce alarming quantities of 7.63×25mm ammunition for that quick firing weapons.

Armoured Car: Rolls-Royce(Imported; 1915)[8*0.5=4]
(24) They got some imported armored cars. Not enough to cause much problems but we should keep that weapon in mind
(83) Not only they adapted the cars for their own machineguns, their industry is producing enough spare parts to keep the cars in top condition

Field Guns:French 75mm(1897)[2]
(39) They have adequate field artillery corps armed with the aging but still decent design
(59) And they keep producing some more

18pdr(1903; Imported)[4*0.5=2]
(23) They import more field guns, making their field artillery even larger problem
(44) And they produce enough ammunition for them

Fighter: Fokker D.VII(Imported, 1918)[8*0.5=4]
(25) They have only one squadron  of fighters
(31) But they are serviced better than our airforce

Bomber: HandleyPage V/1500(Imported; 1918)[8*0.5=4]
(36) Additionally they have one squadron of bombers, with some aircrafts in reserve
(35) Servicing and supplying of bombers match servicing and suppling of fighters

Transport: Liberty Truck (Imported; Civil; 1917)[8*0.5^2=2]
(11) They import few trucks for the needs of their army but the effect is minor.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 07:49:57 am »

So basically they have tons of obsolete rifles for an infantry, and a cavalry arm consisting of armored cars raining LMG fire upon ourselves. Maybe we should pump our Mosin-nagant production to bolster this? or ship in tons of them from... the comintern?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 08:26:20 am »

Maybe we should pump our Mosin-nagant production to bolster this? or ship in tons of them from... the comintern?
We have enough* Mosins to make a chair for every soldier out of, and still have some left in the armory. I'm guessing someone in the government had a son in law manufacturing them or something. That's why we've stopped production (the crunch is we rolled poorly, but fluff-wise it makes perfect sense).

(*)my logic is: if 5 points is singular,  ~30 points is 40% of the officers and ~60 points is every front line soldier, the scale is clearly logarithmic, and 100 points would mean "more rifles then men (including cooks and nurses)"
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:28:11 am by a1s »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 09:42:13 am »

We should not do anything with Mosin-nagant production, after all there an archaic design, and we have the much better Mondragón.

If things get bad then we can issues them to conscripts, it's a really robust and simple weapon  and we have tons of them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 09:53:15 am »

We should not do anything with Mosin-nagant production, after all there an archaic design
Actually, bolt-action rifles pretty very good, boasting high reliability and ease of maintenance, very decent accuracy (often in excess of semi-automatics), and surprisingly high rate of fire (consider that even with a semi-automatic you have to replace the clip once it runs out. And if you're not going to aim carefully, you can run through and replace a 10 round magazine in as many seconds.) By the time of this game (1920s or therabout) they have moved from cutting edge to merely respected. They would not be regarded as outdated and most certainly not as archaic.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 10:23:56 am »

Even today bolt-action is still used alot. Nearly all sniper rifles, for instance, are bolt action...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 10:36:38 am »

What I'm more worried about is their superior artillery, SMG's, and those armored cars. Our infantry guns should help with the cars, and we can probably counter their bombers with our superior fighter force, but superior enemy artillery = lots of casualties, and those sub-machine guns are a force to consider (copying.)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 11:40:03 am »

we can probably counter their bombers with our superior fighter force
We don't have any spare parts (and very little ammo, let's think about replacing Snipes' guns with Maxims)- we may start the war with superior air cover, but it won't stay that way.

sub-machine guns are a force to consider (copying.)
Sub-machine guns are overrated. They need a lot of maintenance; and our rifles have 5 times the effective range, so unless we're fighting inside a city, forest or trench, I'd bet on the rifle.

I'm worried about the cars and trucks, that will cost use dearly next time we have a front line breach (which we will, because they have more artillery then we do).
Do we have cavalry, BTW?

Whats the status on things like artificial fertilizers, just outa curiosity.
Why do I feel like you want to break the Geneva convention? ;)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 12:04:30 pm »

You should be very happy that they got mediocre rolls for artillery and airforce.  Especially airforce.

BTW, if anyone wants to PM 35 point list for another enemy that will make update composing easier :)

________
Yes you have cavalry. And most of your artillery is towed by horses.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6