Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Giant Eagles won't hatch!  (Read 1183 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Giant Eagles won't hatch!
« on: October 18, 2014, 04:15:45 am »

So I just recently learned how fun farming can be (non-planting). Shearing, milking, lots of animals.
Anyways a few forts later, I happened to get a breeding pair of Giant Eagles from the elves. However, the first clutch of eggs didn't really do anything ... she laid 2 eggs and I waited a year. Nothing happened. According to the wiki, after a few seasons they "probably" won't hatch, so I collected them. Then she laid a second batch of eggs. While waiting for those to hatch, she claimed a second egg box at the same time. No eggs have a sign of hatching. What gives?

I notice that turkeys have an Egg Size value of only 87, compared to the Giant Eagle's 2100... is that a factor for the time?

Pic related
http://i.imgur.com/usMZxhA.png

EDIT: WELL NEVERMIND. Figures that seconds after posting this, the egg pops to life.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 04:19:29 am by Danjen »
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: My Giant Eagles won't hatch!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:14:51 am »

well..... there is a tiny chance taht the male eagle happens to be uninterested in reproduction and as such dont fertilize the eggs.

Not onyl can same gender dwarfs love now, no, it works with animals too. Despite the chances being tiny it IS possible...

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:22:23 am »

Try Gandalf?

*rimshot*
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:21:05 pm »

For future reference: the incubation time for all pregnancies and eggs is 6 months, give or take a few days.  It can feel like a long time when you really want that clutch of giant eagles to hatch.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:02:11 pm »

Doesn't the Giant creature variation remove the child caste tag from the creature in question?
If those eggs still dont hatch after the 6 month period, investigate to see if commenting out the child caste removal of the giant creature variant makes things magically fertile again.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:13:41 pm »

Doesn't the Giant creature variation remove the child caste tag from the creature in question?
If those eggs still dont hatch after the 6 month period, investigate to see if commenting out the child caste removal of the giant creature variant makes things magically fertile again.

Pretty sure the child token is left intact, but I'll check the raws right now.

EDIT:  Child tag is left alone by giant variations.  It does remove the pet and pet_exotic tags by default, but most giant variations are set to re-include pet_exotic within the creature raws anyway.  Not really even sure why the giant variation isn't set to remove pet, pet_exotic and then add pet_exotic. Would have made a smidgen more sense.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:18:16 pm by Tacomagic »