Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skills: Can record keeping be learned?  (Read 491 times)

WomanTheatre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skills: Can record keeping be learned?
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

I don't see this as a skill that can be 'turned on' and learned...would assigning an office trigger the learning of this skill or am I going to have to wait for a migrant to have it?

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Skills: Can record keeping be learned?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

Only your bookkeeper can learn that, and yes he needs an office. You must also set the desired accuracy from the settings screen (n->selct bookkeeper->s).

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

You assign the record keeper via the "nobles" menu. Press (n) to access it, scroll down to something along the lines of "record keeper" or "treasurer" or something like that (can't remember what the menu calls it, but the name changes as your fortress gets bigger anyways), and press (r) to assign a dwarf to be record keeper.

You can also press (s) there to choose the precision level of your record keeper; any level other than the lowest requires an office. At the highest precision level, the record keeper will be record keeping almost constantly, so it's a great way to train dwarfs for the military.

[ March 15, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

Only the outpost bookkeeper will use this skill. You can choose who the bookkeeper is from the nobles screen (n). Give them an office and set the accuracy from the status screen (z) and they will use the office to update your records, gaining skill in the process.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

I always designate the first immigrant as record keeper, give him an office, set accuracy to best and within a few seasons, all my stock records are accurate. I consider it to be a waste of starting points to give record keeper to a dwarf on the embark screen.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!