Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how to clear out the spider webs  (Read 1299 times)

arthurx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to clear out the spider webs
« on: September 21, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »

there are two cripy cave spider webs just beside the cave river and the spiders bite my dwarves T-T i figured if i clear out the webs the spiders would be gone but dont know how
thank in advance for any answers

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to clear out the spider webs
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »

Have a weaver construct a loom and set him/her to web collecting.

Jandrews

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »

Somewhat related, your cats can hunt and kill cave spiders, though they will occasionally get bitten as well.  Better a cat than a dwarf, anyways, since it tastes the same in a stew as unbitten cats tastes.     ;)

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:01:00 am »

Any dwarf that walks through the web will also break it.

arthurx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 12:29:00 pm »

thx all above, im currently in my first winter and it isnt as tough as i tought since only two immigrants came in(is that weird? 'cause i read in the wiki that tons of dwarves rush in just when the first winter starts) and now im digging hard for ores since i have a metal smith now and havent had to chance to use him yet =D

one more question 'bout trading, i thought i offered equal weighted stuff for some fox meat but that guy just wont give it to me?(the seize marked option is dark)

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 12:38:00 pm »

Weight does not equate to value, I fear. You won't be able to see what value really is until you get a broker. I tend to trade crafts, which you can usually trade 2 for 1 for meat; presuming normal quality.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 01:04:00 pm »

Speaking about webs, those of them that appear on your workshops are impossible to move, they are there forever until you destroy the shop. That extra blinking is annoying...

arthurx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 09:07:00 pm »

ok now this is the fourth time i have to restart,,,i kept being owned by lizardmen, snakemen, etc from the cave river,,,its only my first year and i had hardly any strength to resist,,,maybe i ll try channeling from the river outside,,,

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 09:35:00 pm »

I like to trade light and dark stone crafts; about 10 decent-quality items can usually buy out the first year's caravan.

Build some stone-fall traps at the entrance to the river for an easy defensive line.  Plus a door, and when they show up, lock it to keep them from all streaming through.

[ September 22, 2006: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 10:22:00 pm »

If you can, use weapon traps instead of stone-fall traps.  Stone-fall traps have to be reloaded...  that can get ugly if the enemies attack in large numbers.  One enemy attacks and gets smushed, a dwarf rushes over to reload the trap...  only to bump into the dead lizardman's three angry friends.  Weapon traps, on the other hand, can fire endlessly with no reloading necessary.

If any kobolds have dropped daggers, those are excellent for weapon traps, since there's no other use for them.  Obsidian swords are good, too.  And if you've hit the lava, you can churn out giant trap components as much as you want.  One giant axe and three obsidian swords are generally enough to slaughter any river-denizens who blunder into it.

Crossbow traps require reloading eventually, but they get lots of shots, do brutal damage, and you can make both the crossbow and the bolts out of bone.  That helps.

[ September 22, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

arthurx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 03:34:00 am »

thank you again for all ur answers and comments , but it seems new questions keep coming = =
i have made brass chests but how can i put them in use(no dwarf does that automatically and i found no related command)? does it only work for the nobles?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 04:34:00 am »

You have to 'b'uild them inside of a room, so a dwarf will take possession of them and put them to use.  But I'm not sure chests get used at all now... they might just be a relic of the old way of storing items.

Dwarves of all sorts will use cabinets in their room to store extra items that they own, and coffers to store their extra gold.  I'd assume that chests would be used for one of those, if they're used at all.  I'm sure you can't just store random stuff in them yourself, though... they're for personal possessions.

[ September 23, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

arthurx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 03:54:00 am »

aha it works and new question:
how to cancel a job like building a bridge? i know i could remove designated furnitures before they are set but that trick doesnt work on bridges and roads and floodgates and stuff,,
i see that questions here are really quickly responded,,truly appreciate that

Ephphatha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 04:48:00 am »

t x to cancel a bridge, It doesn't show up under the Q menu. You can also cancel it on the (j)ob menu.

arthurx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 01:36:00 am »

ty. i was dumped with assignments lately and tonight i finally get back to my dwarves =D
does anyone know the activate distance of the traps? do u really need to step on it to trip it?(if u were a murloc or sth =p)

looks like stone fall trap needs to be stepped on to be triggered

[ September 27, 2006: Message edited by: arthurx ]

Pages: [1] 2