Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41667 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #330 on: December 19, 2014, 09:37:10 pm »

How much of the public is actually "so butthurt" by this game?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2014, 09:49:00 pm »

well excluding the forumites i've seen their greenlit page lit by comment on how "terrible" the idea of the game is and why it shouldn't be on steam

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 20, 2014, 02:11:13 am »

well excluding the forumites i've seen their greenlit page lit by comment on how "terrible" the idea of the game is and why it shouldn't be on steam

It is not about the public. The public knows nothing about these issues. Is is strictly between gamers.

Frankly it is not even about Hatred the game. It is obviously irrelevant after postal etc, it only matters because the shrieking reactionary mob around gamersgate decided to take it up as a cause celebre. 

In truth, is the culture wars. Gamers discovered they too fall into left and right camps that are fundamentally irrecocilable
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:13:48 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 20, 2014, 06:35:07 am »

:/

I would say that left-right are irreconcilable because they represent two points on the same spectrum.

To enspouse both is literally trying to have the same number  = 7 and 9.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:37:23 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 20, 2014, 07:18:05 am »

It is not about the public. The public knows nothing about these issues. Is is strictly between gamers.

Frankly it is not even about Hatred the game. It is obviously irrelevant after postal etc, it only matters because the shrieking reactionary mob around gamersgate decided to take it up as a cause celebre. 

In truth, is the culture wars. Gamers discovered they too fall into left and right camps that are fundamentally irrecocilable
Wait, what? Nobody would have heard of it had gaming websites not gotten butthurt/click-baity over the trailer like Postal 1 never happened. And nobody would have remembered it now had someone not gotten upset enough to report it and get it taken down for a reason other than quality control. How did gamergate cause any of this?

I think we're seeing more controversy over this than Postal 1 back in the day, so I don't see the "obviously irrelevant" part either. EDIT: Ok, I just read up Postal 1 was banned in 13 countries, so I guess that wins the controversy prize. :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:29:49 am by Virtz »

GobbieMarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2014, 10:50:32 am »

It is obviously irrelevant after postal etc

I would gamble money that, if you asked the whole of the gaming community on their opinion of Postal, the vast majority of responses would be "What's Postal?"

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 29, 2014, 02:29:59 pm »

hatred is now greenlit

r00fles

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 29, 2014, 03:21:39 pm »

Okay now they just have to release ASAP before everyone forgets.  Or maybe add swastikas right before launch to reinvigorate the """controversy"""
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Borisoff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 29, 2014, 04:25:35 pm »

-snip-

Where did you get that neo-fascist shit from ? Seriously, give me some source.

symonthewise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BASILEUS
« Reply #339 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18:35 pm »

...are people here seriously making the free-speech/not-free-speech argument? I thought you guys were better than this.

But, since I'm obligated: This has nothing to do with free speech. Valve isn't a government institution- they can do whatever the fuck they want. Their decisions to add games or remove them from their service is completely arbitrary- there's no point telling the person who wrote the guidelines for how they will run their service that they're violating their own guidelines when they can just re-write the damn thing if people get that pissy over it.

A free speech argument is reasonable. Just as valve can say arbitrarily "we do not agree with this product morally" so too can someone say "I don't agree with a marketplace who acts as a moral censor, I would rather be presented with the product and make my own decisions as though I were a free thinking adult." following this reasoning, one could say they are "disgusted by a marketplace who has the hubris to think it can act as a moral censor, that it would condescend to its consumer by presuming to know what is best for them" you can see how one might see this as an insult, and how they could easily see valve as the enemy.

Both are reasonable conclusions to come to when you are dealing with something that has no clear truth value (morality). In actuality valve has the power, but we live in a culture where the masses can subvert power with whining so who knows anymore.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 29, 2014, 09:35:06 pm »

That's an argument for neutral distributors, not free speech.  Still, a valid argument.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

symonthewise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BASILEUS
« Reply #341 on: December 29, 2014, 11:56:52 pm »

That's an argument for neutral distributors, not free speech.  Still, a valid argument.

The judgement of a distributer is related directly to an argument for free speech. For someone who holds that value, in an environment where independant organizations control distribution, to have a distributer censor on moral grounds is a violation of that value.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 30, 2014, 12:18:56 am »

Steam technically isn't censoring and has no power to restrict free speech.  This is despite them having a huge impact on whether a title is financially successful.  It's just that "free speech" and "censorship" aren't the right terms.  If a government banned or restricted the distribution of the game, those would be the terms to use.

I think Steam is taking the right choice by being a neutral distributor regarding the issue of video game violence.  When they took the game down, they were condoning every other violent game they sell (like Postal 1, for example).  By putting Hatred back up, they're no longer making a judgement about violence.  They're just providing a neutral service, like most ISPs, which is a safe play.

If it turns out to be a mechanically crappy game like Air Control, they might take it down on those grounds...  I honestly don't know the chances of that though.  And they might continue selling it anyway just to make money off the controversy, if the outcry isn't too directed at them.
She/they

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 30, 2014, 06:15:52 am »

I would consider it de-facto censorship if by banning the game from Steam, the game becomes unaccessable to people.

However, Steam is not the only distributor of games, and the game would be available elsewhere with just a quick google search. If Steam were to ban this "speech", it would still be *very* much "audiable", and completely legally so.

So I cannot consider this an issue of censorship and freedom of speech. No speech is censored of Steam refuse to sell the game.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 30, 2014, 06:16:34 am »

Quote from: British Dictionary
censor
/ˈsɛnsə/
noun
a person authorized to examine publications, theatrical presentations, films, letters, etc, in order to suppress in whole or part those considered obscene, politically unacceptable, etc
any person who controls or suppresses the behaviour of others, usually on moral grounds
If a company, having a near-monopoly in the realm of digital distribution, is not suppressing something by disallowing it to be present on their service for reasons other than quality, then I dunno what it'd have to do.

Censorship does not have to be law-enforced, even if that is the most common association. It can be societal, such as in the form of a taboo, where those breaking the rules of what's considered proper to speak of are ostracized by society (which is something already happening here due to this touching upon the subject of murder for no good reason). And when someone bleeps out vulgar language in their youtube video, is that not (self-)censorship as well? It's not crossing the law, nor even the guidelines of youtube, it's just someone's personal view of what's morally acceptable.

Just because governments are the most effective at enforcing their moral standards through laws doesn't mean there aren't other, less efficient methods at work.

Also, you usually can't prevent something from being created through censorship. A censor acts on what's already been created, usually the final product, else they'd be psychic police.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26