Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41751 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2014, 12:53:06 pm »

I can't believe people are making such a huge deal about this game. Does it bother you that it is so unapologetic? Are you seriously trying to convince yourselves that this game doesn't speak to some of you? That's the real problem people have with this game, it's easy to lie to yourself and say it's "just a game" and "no big deal" when it isn't taken seriously, like GTA. But when a game actually reflects what it might be like to actually kill some people everyone gets all uncomfortable and butthurt about it.

People are so afraid of it because it challenges their world view and the lies they tell themselves about their own nature.
Your vehemence against those people who find brutal killing abhorrent offends me. There is a marked difference between when a game doesn't take it seriously, but ends up being known for it and the when the whole object of the game is to let you experience the wild throes of being a mass murderer. As for myself, I am against it. Not because I'm "trying to convince" myself of anything, but because I find it offensive to my morals. Perhaps your inner nature revolves around the slaying of others, but some people actually find the idea innately wrong.

and all arguments ad hominem aside, it doesn't look like any type of game I would enjoy, specifically in a philosophical way. I mean, geez, even in games like Fable I can't even bring myself to choose the "evil" options once in a while!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2014, 12:56:04 pm »

So I assume you feel the same way about other games focused on mindless violence?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2014, 01:03:12 pm »

Goat simulator.

The usage of the word "Simulator" is becoming rather abstract these days.
Only when used in the context of parody/humour. It's called irony.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 05, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »

I do the same thing all the time in GTA.

To which the response is "That isn't as gory and detailed and doesn't have people screaming and begging and crying

To which my response is "That's the point, it's putting what we do in video games right in your face without any attempt to abstract  it out.  Like, we're not even considering the millions of people we murder in regular non-civilian shooters.  Soldiers cry and beg and scream too when they get shot."

Just so we can get that conversation out of the way right off the bat.
I largely agree and I can buy that for some videogames (eg Spec Ops: The Line, The Last of Us) but in this case the developer's have explicitly stated they're not trying to make a statement of that nature, they're just being as violent as possible because they can and they want to stick it to the "PC police".  If you want to claim you're just showing the consequences of violence then you have to show some real consequences rather than just offering people a power trip.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 05, 2014, 01:10:28 pm »

It's interesting how one game that boils down to "humans suck, kill them all" gets a lot of outrage for that fact, while another doesn't.
I guess it's less about the theme as such and more about how it's presented and the presence or absence of anything beyond that basic theme.
thats a 2d platformer with some bullethell?  Also it didnt have you directly killing any civilians as far as I saw.  Also it looked significantly more styled and its concept was peace through fear.  Forgive me for saying, but I think that game is nothing like this one.

Comparing some genetically-altered tentacle baby created to destroy the powerbase of militaries to create peace to walking outside to a completely low-fantasy world to kill passersby?

I do the same thing all the time in GTA.

To which the response is "That isn't as gory and detailed and doesn't have people screaming and begging and crying

Postal 2 does though, and you barely hear anything about that.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2014, 01:15:17 pm »

Isn't Postal 2 also a game where you set people on fire by pissing on them? I swear that was a thing. Might have been something else.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2014, 01:16:55 pm »

Same game, though you do need a cheat to enable that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:45 pm »

Ah, okay. Cheats fall outside normal gameplay, so ignore me on that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2014, 01:21:05 pm »

I mean, geez, even in games like Fable I can't even bring myself to choose the "evil" options once in a while!
Ah, Fable, the good ol' spousal abuse simulator. :P
Now I want to get myself one of them old Xboxes to play that game again... I'd miss my save files, but alas.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2014, 01:28:11 pm »

Well, not really. You can literally pour a can of gasoline on a man begging for his life, light him on fire, and then piss on his burnt corpse.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2014, 01:29:17 pm »

You don't need explicit intent from the developers to extract a message, and intentional messages tend to be hamfisted anyway (See: Pilgrim's Progress, Any time a video game has ever tried to send a message.)

I think abstracting it out to make it more "palatable" is worse, actually.  Showing this kind of stuff and letting people do it, I've been playing Mortal Kombat since Kindergarten and it hasn't affected me.

It's not the content of the violence, it's the results.  Every single one of the video games we've talked about and most of what we see on television too, no matter how "palatable" it is, involves characters using violence and getting positive results for it.   The message is that violence is a good thing that gets you what you want.  And that's why I don't buy this thing about how the player's agency is the difference between the low-fi isometric murder of Hatred and the very up close and human violence of movies like Saw and Hostel.  People got up and cheered in the theater in the bathroom scene at the end of hostile (where the protagonist gets revenge in a bathroom) and Jigsaw's reason for doing his shit is generally portrayed as a good thing (And I'll note it's just as high school as Grimdark Darkgrim's thing in Hatred)
Shoes...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 05, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »

I mean, geez, even in games like Fable I can't even bring myself to choose the "evil" options once in a while!
Ah, Fable, the good ol' spousal abuse simulator. :P
Now I want to get myself one of them old Xboxes to play that game again... I'd miss my save files, but alas.
Fable was fun until you owned every house, and thought the only challenge left was to play with only a crossbow.  And I never did find punching your wife very fun.  Or husband.  I tried that, and it was even less fun.

Spells were the best in that game, tho, for playing around with civies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 05, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »

Well, not really. You can literally pour a can of gasoline on a man begging for his life, light him on fire, and then piss on his burnt corpse.

But it's "abstracted" [you only get a medium-fidelity first person view of murdering begging civilians, it's less hands on] and funny so it's not offensive, especially when all hostiles become Taliban with Bin Laden models
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 05, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »

So I assume you feel the same way about other games focused on mindless violence?

That depends on what you mean by mindless violence. I feel the same about postal games, although to a waaaaaaaay lesser extent. They don't wickedly offend me, but I don't find them to be expressively fun. GTA, Watch Dogs, and etc. though aren't always focused exclusively on death so I'm ok with them.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 05, 2014, 01:35:10 pm »

GTA3 onwards are all games about mindless violence with a plot tacked on.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26