Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41757 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2014, 03:21:27 am »

Doesn't Destroy All Humans get a mention? You know, the game where your main income comes from harvesting human DNA by rectally probing civilians until their heads explode?

Destroy All Humans, while funny, was too abstract with its violence, and ultimately it also didn't quite live up to its title.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2014, 03:23:38 am »

But....THE ANAL PROBING CAUSING THE HEAD EXPLODING?!?

Surely that must count for something

...right?!?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2014, 03:47:24 am »

Rule of Rose
How does Rule of Rose make it on to that list?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2014, 07:25:57 am »

The difference is that GTA is a fairly silly game, while this is not.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2014, 09:23:16 am »

Rule of Rose
How does Rule of Rose make it on to that list?
Rule of Rose is pretty psychologically disturbing. The actual blood and gore violence is limited, but frankly I find people being malignant towards one another more horrifying. It gets to a more real level because it's an evil most people can relate to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2014, 10:17:23 am »

It's interesting how one game that boils down to "humans suck, kill them all" gets a lot of outrage for that fact, while another doesn't.
I guess it's less about the theme as such and more about how it's presented and the presence or absence of anything beyond that basic theme.
thats a 2d platformer with some bullethell?  Also it didnt have you directly killing any civilians as far as I saw.  Also it looked significantly more styled and its concept was peace through fear.  Forgive me for saying, but I think that game is nothing like this one.

Comparing some genetically-altered tentacle baby created to destroy the powerbase of militaries to create peace to walking outside to a completely low-fantasy world to kill passersby?

I do the same thing all the time in GTA.

To which the response is "That isn't as gory and detailed and doesn't have people screaming and begging and crying

To which my response is "That's the point, it's putting what we do in video games right in your face without any attempt to abstract  it out.  Like, we're not even considering the millions of people we murder in regular non-civilian shooters.  Soldiers cry and beg and scream too when they get shot."

Just so we can get that conversation out of the way right off the bat.
Putting it into your face is exactly why people are getting upset.  We've managed to agree thus far.  You  are putting unarmed civilians into a shooter and attempting to simulate a realistic believable execution in which zero fucks are given about cries for passion and humanity, and then asking children across [America] to play it and then go to school the next day . . . Thats why people are getting upset.
Spoiler: :/ (click to show/hide)
This is about what 'casual gamers' or nongamers can imagine this game to be.  Isnt that who we've all been assuming would voice their outrage?  That and the usual political minefield.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:22:10 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2014, 10:31:08 am »

Lol @ calling this a simulator
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2014, 10:38:50 am »

Y'all'd be great drone pilots.
Actually, the actual footage is quite a bit more abstract and detached than video games are.
drone

Am I wrong?

---

Also anyone remember that JFK assassination game?  About 'proving the lone gunman theory'?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:43:49 am by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2014, 10:59:26 am »

Am I wrong?
Yeah? Simulators feature gameplay mechanics based on realism that'd normally be abstracted out. A game where you flip 20 switches to get a plane off the ground is a simulator. A game where you fly a plane with 50 HPs and shoot down 100 planes in a single mission is an arcadey action game.

This doesn't look very realistic or complex in terms of shooting mechanics or general gameplay.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2014, 11:03:35 am »

Not about this being a simulator.  I never called it that, simply said they focused on making the executions believable.  Using the word 'simulate' surely doesnt have to mean I think its a simulation
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:05:58 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2014, 11:08:22 am »

Goat simulator.

The usage of the word "Simulator" is becoming rather abstract these days.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2014, 11:11:20 am »

Also anyone remember that JFK assassination game?  About 'proving the lone gunman theory'?

Yeah.  That game was super creepy, but it wasn't glorifying the act at all.  I think it was a good simulator and game.  I'm pretty sure scoring was based on how closely you recreated the historical event.  It was easy to rack up more kills, but the game didn't reward it.

I don't have an opinion on Hatred anymore, this thread has reminded me that there are much more disturbing games.  Probably with better executi- uh, implementation.  And being disturbing isn't bad, it's just a genre (or even thought-provoking).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 05, 2014, 12:03:30 pm »

I can't believe people are making such a huge deal about this game. Does it bother you that it is so unapologetic? Are you seriously trying to convince yourselves that this game doesn't speak to some of you? That's the real problem people have with this game, it's easy to lie to yourself and say it's "just a game" and "no big deal" when it isn't taken seriously, like GTA. But when a game actually reflects what it might be like to actually kill some people everyone gets all uncomfortable and butthurt about it.

People are so afraid of it because it challenges their world view and the lies they tell themselves about their own nature.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2014, 12:21:59 pm »

you feeble worms, do you not see how this game speaks to us all -- don't you see the appeal in torturing and killing people! to protest is WEAKNESS! BUT I KNEW THAT YOU WOULD BE! you can't deal with the challenge of truth!
Yep.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 12:23:55 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2014, 12:33:04 pm »

you feeble worms, do you not see how this game speaks to us all -- don't you see the appeal in torturing and killing people! to protest is WEAKNESS! BUT I KNEW THAT YOU WOULD BE! you can't deal with the challenge of truth!
Yep.

Lul
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26