Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41711 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2014, 01:35:10 pm »

You mean aside from all the people explicitly saying their problem is the violence, right?

I stand corrected: most.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2014, 02:13:37 pm »

For me, the whole ultra-realistic violence thing hits kinda close to home. I imagine others have their own reasons why they'd shy away from it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2014, 06:51:23 pm »

Wow. This game looks dumb as bricks.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2014, 07:17:28 pm »

It looks to me like they're trying to make the überviolent murder simulation the media always seems to be on about a reality, or to say something about 'realistic' violence in videogames in a more general sense. The overall impression I got from this game is that the devs collectively said: "You call that a murder simulator? Well look at this!" That the lot of them are playing it completely straight only reinforces the message.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2014, 07:49:13 pm »

Zomg violence innocence edgy game sucks looks boring zomg.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2014, 09:02:59 pm »

I suppose it's cool that this game can provoke a discussion like this?

I was creeped out by how violent the game was, personally.  Sure, in Pandemic you kill the whole world, and in Serial Killer Roguelike you kill one guy, and Columbine RPG you should up a school, but those were all... I dunno, different.  Pandemic makes it impersonal; there's no death or real, concrete depictions of tragedy - just numbers.  SKR was pretty spooky, but I remember being more hyped about the whole prospect of stalking someone on facebook and it being a sandbox that seemed to simulate modern life's tiny little chores and shit than it being about murdering people.  Also, that it would have meant lots of planning and shit - that's hard to find.  And Columbine RPG... well, I think it was more that I sucked at that and couldn't actually get anywhere in it, on top of the obviously gamey stuff, like the whole RPG Maker grid-movement and whatnot.

This thing though, Iunno.  It's just really a sadistic and impersonal mass-murdering thing.  It doesn't even attempt to make the whole "I'm misunderstood this is for the greater good" bullshit or whatever, it's literally just "fuck people Imma kill 'em".  There's just no joy or reason or anything to it, it's just violence against helpless targets for violence's sake.

And I guess you can take a totally straight and unironic depiction of something as a "statement" about it, or something, but, ehhh.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:31 pm »

I still think the point is that it's in your face.  The abstractions of games like Pandemic just distance you from what you're actually doing in those games
Shoes...

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2014, 10:16:23 pm »

Shadow The Hedgehog DLC announced.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2014, 03:44:37 am »

The thing that bothered me most was that he put everything in that one jacket pocket. Now you got to fumble around between two grenades and a real edgy knife for that next magazine dammit. You want a genocide done right...

Kind of reminded me of Crusader No Remorse after that but with worse everything visuals and more butthurt.

Gameplay does not seem gratifying (psychopathy check - passed).

Rated 'nope' even if additional DLC pockets become available.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2014, 03:46:50 am »

Shadow The Hedgehog DLC announced.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uhhh clearly that is "Ow the Edge" DLC... Get your reading glasses on.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2014, 04:47:13 am »

I get the feeling that the edginess and bad voicing was intentional.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2014, 05:07:39 am »

As entertaining as I find the reactionism, I'm just wondering if it'll actually be fun to play. The gun play doesn't look particularly special (although it's hard to tell from the trailer quick cuts). There's hints of physics, but they might end up a rarity in the actual game since this is a trailer just for show. And I imagine the enemy variety will be pretty low. Like what can this offer that going on a rampage in GTA doesn't?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:55 am »

As entertaining as I find the reactionism, I'm just wondering if it'll actually be fun to play. The gun play doesn't look particularly special (although it's hard to tell from the trailer quick cuts). There's hints of physics, but they might end up a rarity in the actual game since this is a trailer just for show. And I imagine the enemy variety will be pretty low. Like what can this offer that going on a rampage in GTA doesn't?
A monomolecular edge.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2014, 07:22:37 am »

Just realized nobody mentioned Carmageddon yet.
That was a bit down the same nihilist road.
Didn't they just do a kickstarter for Carmageddon 2 or something?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2014, 07:32:49 am »

Just realized nobody mentioned Carmageddon yet.
That was a bit down the same nihilist road.
Didn't they just do a kickstarter for Carmageddon 2 or something?

There was already a carmageddon 2.

The current one being developed is Carmageddon Reincarnation (aka, the 4th in the series)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26