Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41723 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:48 am »

That's not a problem...people need to quit being so whiny about this stuff...I have been playing violent video games for YEARS...ever since I was probably 10...15 years later I have yet to commit a single violent crime...or even consider it.

Crazy people are already crazy...video games don't make them crazy
Thats a meme.  Its not that playing the games make you crazy or violent; its that they provide an attraction and motivation for those already vulnerable.  It can even provide the inspiration or destroy the inhibitions.

And its not about whether it actually does anything.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2014, 10:57:24 am »

I think most people who have a problem with it either have the problem that it's so ungodly edgy that it's sickening or that it's so disturbingly in-your-face with the violence in a way that makes it feel like you might actually be killing real people that it's sickening.

Very few other games show you in your face someone who not only appears sympathetic, but innocent, and then ask you to brutally murder them. With PlagueInc, Pandemic, etc. you're not killing people, you're killing numbers. With GTA and Saint's Row, you're not killing people, you're killing gang members, assholes, and what are essentially farm animals that kind of vaguely act like people sometimes. Hell, even No Russian didn't really have you gunning down people, just swarms of mindless targets running away aimlessly and a handful of security officers who unflinchingly stood there and shot at you until they got gunned down.

So in other words you're saying that this game bothers you because when you commit genocide and mass murder in other games it abstracts out the reality of what you're doing to turn it into a fun diversion? 

That sounds amazing in a Clockwork Orange kind of way.  Everybody's hung up on the angsty monologue but if you ignore that this is the game we need.

And guys, do you seriously think that ridiculously over the top 2edgy4me monologue is intended to be taken seriously?  It's like black metal, the best bands know it's all clowning.
Shoes...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2014, 11:05:11 am »

Since the developer said in an interview with Polygon that the game was meant to be about being honest, yeah, I don't think it's too far fetched to say that the protagonist is meant to be taken seriously.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2014, 11:08:10 am »

And guys, do you seriously think that ridiculously over the top 2edgy4me monologue is intended to be taken seriously?  It's like black metal, the best bands know it's all clowning.
Honestly the whole thing just reminds me of Metalocalypse.

I'm probably one of the only people who won't take this seriously at all. I kinda look forward to this game being so hyped because of the offense factor. As someone mentioned before, I like that building destruction too.

If this game had a guilt the PC complex, would it be more or less immoral?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2014, 11:15:20 am »

"Yes, putting things simply, we are developing a game about killing people. But what's more important is the fact that we are honest in our approach. Our game doesn't pretend to be anything else than what it is and we don't add to it any fake philosophy.

"In fact, when you think deeper about it, there are many other games out there, where you can do exactly the same things that the antagonist will do in our project. The only difference is that in Hatred gameplay will focus on those things. I also do believe that we're pretty straight forward about this on our official website. Plus hey, you've got to remember that Postal was first and still is the king of the genre. ;)"

1.  He explicitly denies any philosophical bent

2.  I'm reading honesty as what I just described.  The game's being upfront and no-holds-barred about what it's doing and more importantly what you're doing by playing it.  We're all about "realism" in video games which means we want a bar that goes down when you don't eat and we want bullet drop and windage and we want our guns to jam, but we don't want to spend six months washing tanks in Call of Duty, we don't want to spend 90% of GTA in jail after we got caught driving a stolen car, and when we play violent video games we don't want to hear the thousands of people we brutally murder screaming and begging (this is hardly something you would only see when killing civilians.  Soldiers cry too.)

I'm reminded of Haze, which wasn't very good but attempted a similar thing.  It started out as a generic FPS in the jungle.  There was no blood, bodies disappear when you kill them, it's all fun and games.  It turns out everybody's on combat drugs that abstract out the reality of what they're doing so they won't question their (very questionable) orders.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:17:28 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2014, 11:16:23 am »

That's not a problem...people need to quit being so whiny about this stuff...I have been playing violent video games for YEARS...ever since I was probably 10...15 years later I have yet to commit a single violent crime...or even consider it.

Thats a meme.  Its not that playing the games make you crazy or violent; its that they provide an attraction and motivation for those already vulnerable.  It can even provide the inspiration or destroy the inhibitions.

And so the masses should be restricted because of the few who have issues?

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2014, 11:18:33 am »

reminds me of an over the top take on violent videogames to me.  Like a mash-up of Sin City meets Metalocalypse.  The gameplay itself looks like it's fun, and really people need to grow some thicker skins these days.  If you don't like it don't buy it.  As to studies about violence and videogames, the bigger the pool on the studies the more it seems to correlate to the decline in violent crimes, as it gives those with the predisposition to violence an outlet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2014, 11:23:40 am »

Honestly the whole thing just reminds me of Metalocalypse.

I actually thought it was one of those adult swim joke games at first.  I thought the main guy was Nathan Explosion for at least like five seconds.
Shoes...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2014, 11:25:17 am »

I dont think the problem with this is that you get to kill people in many different ways as to enjoy the variety and ways of killing, its that its so forcefuly edgy and hamfisted in its way of delivering it thats its hard to take it as anything but a dual stick shooter with a gimmicky theme.

But yea, several studies have been done in the matter of violent video games and none of the serious ones ever proved any connection between video games and IRL violence, unless you're making a child play games like this from a very, very young age and never bothering to teach them to differentiate reality from fiction.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2014, 11:26:38 am »

And so the masses should be restricted because of the few who have issues?

1. I dont necessarily think this game should be destroyed, banned, or anything.  I simply recognize that there is some valid concern about the genre in general.

2.  :-X  This is not a subject I are invested to go down.  My response would likely draw ire.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2014, 11:30:14 am »

Also, in all honesty, this really isn't the most violent game out there. Its just you shooting people in various ways. Manhunt is way more violent and disturbing then this, as well as harvester, which is an old weird FMV game that forcefuly tried to support the idea that violent video games make people violent.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2014, 11:33:36 am »

I don't think the issue is as much kids being driven to violence by video games but kids being desensitized to violence by media in general and being exposed to violence as a positive thing that brings positive results.

Video games are a big part of it.  While there may not be any serious studies supporting the specific "video games to violence" link there have been numerous studies supporting that idea that modeling aggression leads to aggressive behavior and many of the media role models kids have in video games, TV, and real life exhibit aggressive, violent behavior and are rewarded for it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:35:38 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2014, 12:39:07 pm »

Also, in all honesty, this really isn't the most violent game out there. Its just you shooting people in various ways. Manhunt is way more violent and disturbing then this, as well as harvester, which is an old weird FMV game that forcefuly tried to support the idea that violent video games make people violent.

Harvester was (probably) more parody than an attempt at a proof.

Spoiler: Harvester spoilers: (click to show/hide)

But yeah, I don't think anyone here who has an issue with this game thinks the problem is with the violence itself. It's that it's so edgy and grimdark that programming it requires metal gauntlets and floodlights in the room.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2014, 12:55:20 pm »

You mean aside from all the people explicitly saying their problem is the violence, right?
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »

You realize that not everyone can tolerate the same level of violent content, right? Just because you don't have a problem with what's going on in the trailer, it doesn't mean that it might not cross a line with other folks.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26