Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 40369 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #360 on: December 31, 2014, 12:45:17 am »

It's just another 'moral panic' situation adjusted to the leanings of modern day.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 31, 2014, 03:54:38 am »

As I have said before, it's rather completely understandable that a PERSON would deny a game made apparently solely to create as much controversy as possible.
If it was just to create controversy and nothing else, then I suspect there'd be far less effort visible. Why spend years in Unreal Engine with what can be accomplished in RPGMaker in months if that's all you're going for?

Like I have serious doubts about whether it'll actually be fun, but it looks like something that has real gameplay. Maybe even advanced physics (if those weren't just cherry-picked trailer shots). The controversial subject seems more like a marketting ploy that worked beyond all expectations.

And as I said before, Postal 1 did the exact same thing over a decade ago. Why does anyone still care this much? Like why is the controversy even here? Has the industry learned nothing?
I doubt there would've been as much controversy if this game was an pixilated RPGmaker game, rather than a detailed and gory 3D game.

Also, considering how much controversy (and thus publicity) there has been around this game, I think they'd still have gotten a lot of sales, even if they hadn't made it onto Steam.
Somebody's bound to make an article on it after release.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 31, 2014, 06:00:02 am »

They're not preventing the game from being made, damnit. An indie company can still pay for a website and host it in-house- self-publishing, if you will.

Doesn't mean that anyone will actually go and get it, but it's still not censorship. Steam is not obligated to sell whatever objectionable game is put in their face on the basis of "if they don't it's censorship". That's a load of crap. Just because they own a large portion of the market does not make them obligated to lower their standards for the sake of free speech- again, there are other ways to publish, such as by hosting your own downloads. It's not like Dwarf Fortress is being censored by not being on Steam- Toady just uses other download means and has his own website.

Seriously, Valve isn't obligated to do shit, and they cannot be reprimanded for not breaking the law since there is no law to be broken.

Also, the legal definition of censorship is not the same as the standard dictionary. Is Valve "suppressing or proscribing" this game by refusing to sell it? No. Ergo, it's not censorship- besides, they are still not a government and could choose to ban every game with violence for all I care and still not be censoring anything. Just because it isn't on Steam doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
What Steam is semi-obligated to do is not knee-jerk to public outcry.  It seems to be the stance of the Gaben.  A consistent policy of accepting, rejecting and banning games, so Steam isn't an arbitrary publisher who backpedals and other stupid shenanigans all over the place everytime people start complaining about a game on the greenlight or one they are currently sell. Let people vote with their wallets.

Unless of course the game is legitimately violating their policy(which I figure is probably simply no adult/sex games at this time) and/or committing some kinda fraud.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 31, 2014, 06:47:19 am »

As I have said before, it's rather completely understandable that a PERSON would deny a game made apparently solely to create as much controversy as possible.
If it was just to create controversy and nothing else, then I suspect there'd be far less effort visible. Why spend years in Unreal Engine with what can be accomplished in RPGMaker in months if that's all you're going for?

Like I have serious doubts about whether it'll actually be fun, but it looks like something that has real gameplay. Maybe even advanced physics (if those weren't just cherry-picked trailer shots). The controversial subject seems more like a marketting ploy that worked beyond all expectations.

And as I said before, Postal 1 did the exact same thing over a decade ago. Why does anyone still care this much? Like why is the controversy even here? Has the industry learned nothing?
I doubt there would've been as much controversy if this game was an pixilated RPGmaker game, rather than a detailed and gory 3D game.
The profits would've far outweighed the costs compared to the current situation, though. Like just call it Columbine Massacre or Breivik Simulator and you're set.

Plus I don't think being made in RPGMaker means you couldn't do pre-rendered animations or at least really graphic imagery.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 02, 2015, 06:38:16 am »

Guys, it's out! :D
Apparently it's unavailable for purchase in Australia and Germany, for some (probably bullshit) legal reasons.
Oh well, I can't afford to buy it at the moment anyway. Hopefully this is resolved by the time I can. It looks like you could just choose a different country in the drop-down menu anyway. Still looking forward to playing it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 02, 2015, 06:40:18 am »

Apparently it's a mediocre twin-stick style shooter, with a really bad save system and dialogue that is comically bad. Not Deus Ex goodbad, but apparently somewhere nearby.
I don't know what else you would expect to be honest.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 02, 2015, 06:42:14 am »

Sounds about right. At least it bothered to be mediocre.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 02, 2015, 06:49:59 am »

I'm not sure where you got the 'mediocre' part from, the gameplay I've watched seems decent.
Then again, I don't play that many twin-stick shooters so perhaps there are certain rules for the genre that I'm unaware of.
Haven't heard much dialogue yet, and I don't really want to watch too much gameplay and risk spoiling things for when I do get the game.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 02, 2015, 06:52:59 am »

Clunky controls and bad camera, according to a couple of not-really-reviews I've read. Nice physics though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 02, 2015, 06:56:12 am »

One bad thing I noticed about the footage I watched is that some of the executions are pretty lame, with jerky animations and such.
Kind of disappointing, but oh well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 02, 2015, 06:56:49 am »

Make love not war

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 02, 2015, 07:11:02 am »

I got it.  It's pretty bad.

I think the RPS review hit it closest.  It's not a good shooter, it's got clunky controls and the black and white makes it impossible to see anything.  The only real challenge is in the sheer number of cops you face in some segments.  Levels are a mix between semi-open maps and linear areas.  In the open areas you have  main objectives and side objectives that grant you respawns.  Spoiler alert, all the objectives are shooting people.

The garishness of the presentation and the unreality of the whole thing (In the first mission the police tell everyone in town to gather at the police station, what the fuck?) kills any shock value the game might've had, which is honestly the only value it was gonna have.  It's not a mass murder simulator, it's a shitty alien swarm clone where most of the enemies don't shoot back.  At no point does it feel real enough to unsettle you.  It's just as cartoonish as GTA or Saints Row, just in a different direction.
Shoes...

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 02, 2015, 09:15:56 am »

Aside from the manufactroversy, I've heard conflicting information on the game itself. I haven't heard anyone call it unequivocally good, but some people have said it's a decent if gimmicky shootathon that could be worth getting later on sale while others have said it's a poorly designed piece of shit. Who am I supposed to believe?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 02, 2015, 09:19:41 am »

I dunno, but the explosions and light terrain destruction seemed pretty well done.

I'll probably buy this some day when it's on deep sale.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 02, 2015, 09:36:46 am »

Oh yes, the explosions and the physics are very nice.  Weirdly enough the only thing that doesn't look great when it comes to physics is your character's hair.  He's got that stringy, lifeless, "just ran out of conditioner" look and having been there before I wouldn't be surprised if that's what triggered his rampage.

It's fun for a few minutes.  When you're not being zerged by fifty cops the flaws in the game's design aren't as obvious and it's pretty fun for a game where most of the enemies are unarmed.  When the shit hits the fan though it becomes really apparent how clunky the controls are and you'll find yourself dying repeatedly when Nathan Explosion gets caught on invisible hitboxes, fails to avoid obstacles, makes ineffective use of cover, etc.  Thrown weapons are also pretty useless, if there's enough enemies to warrant a grenade you'll lose half your health pulling it out of your 2edgy trenchcoat.

I could see it being worth it on a very big sale, but as it stands I wish I'd pirated it and I dont' know why I didn't.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26