Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: Hatred  (Read 41705 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Hatred
« Reply #225 on: November 05, 2014, 01:43:58 pm »

But GTA is killing for fun's sake, and nobody begs you for their lives or anything like that. This game is killing for killing's sake.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2014, 01:44:25 pm »

You don't need explicit intent from the developers to extract a message, and intentional messages tend to be hamfisted anyway (See: Pilgrim's Progress, Any time a video game has ever tried to send a message.)

I think abstracting it out to make it more "palatable" is worse, actually.  Showing this kind of stuff and letting people do it, I've been playing Mortal Kombat since Kindergarten and it hasn't affected me.

It's not the content of the violence, it's the results.  Every single one of the video games we've talked about and most of what we see on television too, no matter how "palatable" it is, involves characters using violence and getting positive results for it.   The message is that violence is a good thing that gets you what you want.  And that's why I don't buy this thing about how the player's agency is the difference between the low-fi isometric murder of Hatred and the very up close and human violence of movies like Saw and Hostel.  People got up and cheered in the theater in the bathroom scene at the end of hostile (where the protagonist gets revenge in a bathroom) and Jigsaw's reason for doing his shit is generally portrayed as a good thing (And I'll note it's just as high school as Grimdark Darkgrim's thing in Hatred)
Every single case is how the ends justify the means?  hmmm . . .

I wont argue that much, but these games with no purpose other than to kill are about the adrenaline high you get as much as whatever terrible plot device they use.  Doom, for example.  You dont ever actually 'save anything' and you certainly dont feel like you do.  you blow up humanoid monsters and floating balls, and feel the adrenaline.

This game would fall squarely into that category, except it also has an apparent political message tacked on atm.  The devs 'rebellion'.  The outrage may well be about the use of violence with no communicable results, the high you get from them is real enough.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 05, 2014, 01:47:06 pm »

But GTA is killing for fun's sake. -> This game is killing for killing's sake.

Well. Those are some very rigid moral scruples. You're fine with killing for fun, as long as the victims don't beg? I'll give you a hint, people do flee and beg for their lives in GTA when you start shooting in GTASanAndreas/4/5, I forget about Vice City and 3. Just curious why 'sanitized' murder is fine. It's almost as if this game's theme is over the top grimdark. But hey, I actually like to base my objections on things I object to consistently instead of changing my reaction to the same idea based on the tone of the media presented.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:50:47 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 05, 2014, 02:16:24 pm »

I don't hold a particularily strong opinion over this, I just feel that GTA is less "bad" than this for no reason I can support with arguments. It's probably the grimdarkness or the fact that the game makes the people as real as possible that makes me uncomfortable. In GTA you're just crunching numbers, this does appear to be a dedicated killing simulator while GTA is a dedicated doing dumb shit simulator. vOv
And IIRC people just run away in most GTAs.

And presentation does matter, saying it doesn't is dumb.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 05, 2014, 02:26:01 pm »

I don't hold a particularily strong opinion over this, I just feel that GTA is less "bad" than this for no reason I can support with arguments. It's probably the grimdarkness or the fact that the game makes the people as real as possible that makes me uncomfortable. In GTA you're just crunching numbers, this does appear to be a dedicated killing simulator while GTA is a dedicated doing dumb shit simulator. vOv
And IIRC people just run away in most GTAs.

And presentation does matter, saying it doesn't is dumb.

I agree with this. GTA really is just doing-dumb-shit-simulator. You can also kill people.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2014, 02:32:56 pm »

You don't need explicit intent from the developers to extract a message, and intentional messages tend to be hamfisted anyway (See: Pilgrim's Progress, Any time a video game has ever tried to send a message.)

I think abstracting it out to make it more "palatable" is worse, actually.  Showing this kind of stuff and letting people do it, I've been playing Mortal Kombat since Kindergarten and it hasn't affected me.

It's not the content of the violence, it's the results.  Every single one of the video games we've talked about and most of what we see on television too, no matter how "palatable" it is, involves characters using violence and getting positive results for it.   The message is that violence is a good thing that gets you what you want.  And that's why I don't buy this thing about how the player's agency is the difference between the low-fi isometric murder of Hatred and the very up close and human violence of movies like Saw and Hostel.  People got up and cheered in the theater in the bathroom scene at the end of hostile (where the protagonist gets revenge in a bathroom) and Jigsaw's reason for doing his shit is generally portrayed as a good thing (And I'll note it's just as high school as Grimdark Darkgrim's thing in Hatred)
Have you played The Line?  It seems odd that you're mocking it even though it does basically exactly what you want - it shows that the violence you committed (and indeed the violence previously committed by other people) had huge negative consequences, and it would have been far better if you had never gotten involved.  It also features graphic deaths by white phosphorus, so I don't see how you could be attacking it for having sanitized violence either.

Hatred, on the other hand, will not show negative consequences.  Broody McGenocide will get to kill the people he hates and die the violent death he always wanted to.

e: also the blog accompanying the comic you posted says that The Line is "actually one of the smartest and most important games of its generation."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2014, 02:44:18 pm »

Also, I don't think this game is over the top. It is exactly AT the top, since that is the point that causes the most offence and controversy, which is rather obviously what the devs want.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 05, 2014, 02:47:46 pm »

You don't need explicit intent from the developers to extract a message, and intentional messages tend to be hamfisted anyway
This is an important point in many areas. Intent does not produce effect, effect is the product of what was actually done, and intent does not always match what is done. Just a sidenote, but it is important.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2014, 02:48:23 pm »

I have played it but I didn't get very far.  If there's some important message in it (which always seems to be cribbed in whole or in part from Heart of Darkpocalypse now when it comes to video games.  I was sick of that already by Far Cry 2.) I wasn't interested in walking to conveniently placed cover objects and shooting people and walking to the next conveniently placed cover object and shooting people to find it.
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »

Fair enough if the gameplay put you off but I think it explores some areas that HoD doesn't (and can't, due to not being in an interactive medium).  Regardless of whether it's derivative or not though I stand by my claim that it's that kind of game that shows you negative consequences for violence, not the kind where you help a psychopath live out his lifelong dream as successfully as possible.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2014, 04:51:52 pm »

But GTA is killing for fun's sake. -> This game is killing for killing's sake.

Well. Those are some very rigid moral scruples. You're fine with killing for fun, as long as the victims don't beg? I'll give you a hint, people do flee and beg for their lives in GTA when you start shooting in GTASanAndreas/4/5, I forget about Vice City and 3. Just curious why 'sanitized' murder is fine. It's almost as if this game's theme is over the top grimdark. But hey, I actually like to base my objections on things I object to consistently instead of changing my reaction to the same idea based on the tone of the media presented.

I'd go as far as to say that sanitized death is worse. An execution simulator or a late term abortion simulator would be far more offensive to me than this game is.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2014, 10:06:10 pm »

I decided to give Spec Ops another chance.  It's not too bad.  If the gunplay were a little tighter and weightier I'd probably love it.  That's probably what turned me off initially.

It probably doesn't help my case here or my ability to take in whatever message they're going for, but I undercut their boohooing by making a conscious decision when the game began to shoot everything that moves and doesn't give me a game over.  Scorch the fucking earth, all men must die.
Shoes...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 05, 2014, 10:17:50 pm »

I mean, geez, even in games like Fable I can't even bring myself to choose the "evil" options once in a while!
Ah, Fable, the good ol' spousal abuse simulator. :P
Now I want to get myself one of them old Xboxes to play that game again... I'd miss my save files, but alas.
Fable 2 was, IMO, the best one, although One was great. WE DO NOT SPEAK OF THE OTHER ONE.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2014, 09:24:45 pm »

Standards?  Of quality or conduct?  :/

Thats my honest question.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26