Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is a goo rain that causes fever and nausea dangerous?  (Read 1110 times)

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is a goo rain that causes fever and nausea dangerous?
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:33:28 pm »

I just embarked on a haunted volcano that almost constantly rains noxious goo. It seems to cause profuse vomiting and fever, but the only negative effect I've seen so far is that there's vomit everywhere.

Is this dangerous? Is the fever directly caused by the goo, or is actually a symptom of a more dangerous condition?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:36:59 pm by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Is a goo rain that causes fever and nausea dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:34:51 pm »

....Call Ghostbusters?    :o
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 04:47:47 pm »

This goo causes nausea, not dancing toaster.

At least I don't think it does. What's the dwarven equivalent of a toaster?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 04:51:14 pm »

Most likely just the Goo.  Some evil rain can have syndromes aside from just causing cleanup spam.

All of them are 'minor' at first glance, but some (like blisters or bruising) can disable the lungs, resulting in death.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 04:52:34 pm »

So fevers aren't dangerous?

As I said, I'm worried that it may be a result of another problem which is only visible through its symptom as a fever.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 04:53:09 pm »

Watch them a bit, but its likely just an inconvenience.  If you want, keep everyone inside for a month or so, since anything outside should be covered in it anyway.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

jefam99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:32 pm »

make sure your dwarves are actually getting nautia from the goo, i made that assumption once, and it turned out to just be cave adaptation
The doomsday lever would look like any other.  It would be surrounded by the various levers needed in the day to day life of the fortress, such as irrigation or raising the main drawbridge or operating the noble shower chamber.  None of the levers would be labeled.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 08:44:02 pm »

I did the reverse, had one dwarf panic cleaning himself and puking everywhere, figured he was just freaking because of the goop falling on him.

Then he started to melt and things went downhill fast... glad I installed those gutters.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 09:34:34 pm »

as far as i can tell fevers alone don't actually bring any actual health impact at all, although often (at least in forgotten beast cases) they start with a fever and then later their brain rots or something
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 05:36:22 am »

If the vomiting is from the goo and not ust cave adaptation then that may be dangerous: vomiting can cause dwarves to become dehydrated, so if a dwarf heads out to grab some govlinite and starts vomiting the moment he sets foot outside, he may die of dehydration before he gets back inside.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game