Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: siegeless in Seattle  (Read 1560 times)

Nevenrial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
siegeless in Seattle
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:09:04 am »

Since the siege fix in .10? I have had almost zero sieges. I've started ne embarks each version, hit a pop of over 100, wealth in the tens of millions, with all noble positions filled each time. I make sure to embark within a few squares of a goblin fort that I'm at war with plus every faction and at least 1-3 towers listed on the neighbors screen. After 10+ years, I'm lucky if I get one half hearted siege and maybe a Snatcher or two. I've made short histories and long ones but it doesn't seem to matter. After at least eight forts I'm starting to think something is seriously wrong. Any ideas, sieges were always my favorite part of the game.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: siegeless in Seattle
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:59:06 am »

Having a siege require neighbours.
Before, neighbourgh status only required pathing, but now you need to be withing 10 world-tiles...
In addition, you get sieged only by real historical armies, wich get simulated in real time.

Sadly, that means that if you aren't perfectly placed and/or they don't have a good reason to attack you, they won't.

The fact that a) Player-owned fort are (... "usually"... ) offering heavy resistance and b) They crush every other settlement without a scratch probably doesn't encourage them to throw armies at you.

Also, I think Toady have made most historical figures avoid player forts, due to time dilatation (It would take them weeks to walk 2km, and 10 mens skirmish could last months...).
I wouldn't be surprised if it also affected sieging armies, that would explain why they are so actives but never seen.

Nevenrial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:36:10 am »

Wow that is somewhat of a downer. Perhaps someone smarter than I can update the fortress defense mod.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:01:07 am »

This and my dwarve's refusal to count corpses as refuse and leave them rotting is the reason I continue to play 34.11 until 40.xx is more stable. (And less terrifying.)
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:35:37 pm »

Actually the wiki says major civilizations must be within 30 tiles of your fort. 10 is for necromancer towers.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 04:08:10 pm »

This and my dwarve's refusal to count corpses as refuse and leave them rotting is the reason I continue to play 34.11 until 40.xx is more stable. (And less terrifying.)

Corpses, or at least dwarf corpses, aren't refuse. They go in corpse stockpiles.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 04:25:35 pm »

Corpses, or at least dwarf corpses, aren't refuse. They go in corpse stockpiles.
They didn't pick up the dralthas, large rats, trogs, crundles, and trolls that died in my dining hall.

Didn't butcher them either, even though I queued up jobs that only got canceled when the corpses began to rot.

Hunters worked fine, though.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 04:28:31 pm »

They didn't pick up the dralthas, large rats, trogs, crundles, and trolls that died in my dining hall.

Didn't butcher them either, even though I queued up jobs that only got canceled when the corpses began to rot.

Hunters worked fine, though.

'o'rders > 'r'efuse > dwarves collect outside refuse enabled.

It's a bug.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 04:36:13 pm »

As to the sieges: That really, really sucks. I was wondering why none of the neighboring civs listed during embark showed up in-game.

I hope sieges get buffed. My fortresses are going to get so boring without hordes of goblin invaders to slaughter.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 04:41:47 pm »

If you want guaranteed conflict just embark near a necro tower :| They've religiously attacked me all through these newer versions, although it seems like a group of undead and the necromancer shows up and then the necromancer leaves after a month or two while the undead hang around for ages.. My current undead have removed their "Siege" flag but still didn't leave (they're original invaders, not resurrected fort-dwarves or animals..)

Of course, they're also tough as nails :| When the necromancer comes back I'm going to send a cat out to hopefully get zombified so I can run some durability science on him :>

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 04:47:15 pm »

If you want guaranteed conflict just embark near a necro tower :| They've religiously attacked me all through these newer versions, although it seems like a group of undead and the necromancer shows up and then the necromancer leaves after a month or two while the undead hang around for ages.. My current undead have removed their "Siege" flag but still didn't leave (they're original invaders, not resurrected fort-dwarves or animals..)

Of course, they're also tough as nails :| When the necromancer comes back I'm going to send a cat out to hopefully get zombified so I can run some durability science on him :>

If you want to clean them out easily, make a militia squad out of all your vampires. Undead ignore each other, so unless it's been changed since my last undead invasion, you'll be able to slaughter them with impunity.

Also speaking from my past experiences: Don't dump them into a volcano. Magma may not actually kill them.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:58 pm »

Magma actually kills them as of 0.40.something, doesn't it? I remember being really excited when I read about it in the update (or some discussion of the update.)

Nevenrial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 06:43:55 pm »

You see that's the thing. I always embark very close to a pit, tower, and goblin fortress. By close I mean within maybe 10 spaces. I always thought that if a faction was listed in your neighbor screen at embark, it was within striking distance and I was good, but after a couple of boring forts, I ended up gen'ing a world until I could embark right next too all three if not more. Still nothing.

Is there any settings in the RAW that I can change? I tried changing the pop setting under goblins that was suggested somewhere else on  the forum, but that didn't seem to do anything either.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 07:19:05 pm »

Thank you! Forgot to do that, the pop setting just changes how many arrive, not when/if.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 04:34:29 pm »

Since the siege fix in .10? I have had almost zero sieges. I've started ne embarks each version, hit a pop of over 100, wealth in the tens of millions, with all noble positions filled each time. I make sure to embark within a few squares of a goblin fort that I'm at war with plus every faction and at least 1-3 towers listed on the neighbors screen. After 10+ years, I'm lucky if I get one half hearted siege and maybe a Snatcher or two. I've made short histories and long ones but it doesn't seem to matter. After at least eight forts I'm starting to think something is seriously wrong. Any ideas, sieges were always my favorite part of the game.

That's a bummer. I'm similarly disappointed with sieges. However, I am sieged basically once a year, but it's always exactly 6 goblins, and I always crush them with exactly 1 speardwarf :/
Pages: [1] 2