Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are your barrack setting preferences?  (Read 1043 times)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are your barrack setting preferences?
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:07:04 pm »

Those other settings in the barracks--sleeping and stuff--how do you set them?
Why? What are the pros & cons?

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are your barrack setting preferences?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:45:05 pm »

Dont remember all of them off the top of my head. But if you gave the dwarves each their own room, dont make them sleep in the barracks because they wont get the happy thoughts from their room.
Training goes without saying.
Squad equipment will make them store their uniforms/armor in chests or armor stands in the barracks. It only has an effect if you set them to switch to normal clothes when they go off duty (I prefer then armored all the time, and it can suck getting them fully clothed again. Also theres a few bugs with it I think)
Then individual equipment will make them keep their regular clothes in the barracks when switching to armor. (Similarly, if you have them in armor fulltime, they wont bother with this)

1 special thing to mention. If your squads are training. Dont let them carry food or drinks. That way when eating theyll go to the dining hall, and get happy thoughts.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »

...so how do you stop them from bringing food or drink?
I'm having enough trouble with dorfs bringing food to their bedrooms.

Dread to think what they'd be like if they did that to the barracks training room.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:17:00 pm »

In the military screen press u (I believe). That should bring up a screen that regulates what foodstuffs and drinks they'll carry around.

Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:24:01 pm »

... what version are you playing, and are you building chairs/tables in their rooms. Theres a glitch where if a dwarf goes to eat, and something makes them stop, theyll leave the food there and its untouchable.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »

The recent version, and all that dwarf has in her room is a bed in the centre, a cabinet against one corner, and a coffer against another. Plus she owns a door, thank goodness. Her room is very similar to that of her neighbours, as you can see. Her door is unlocked, and she is not in residence. There is definitely no table nor chair anywhere near her bedroom.

She lives no less than six levels (and a lot of horizontal walking) from our kitchen/dining area, which has a huge number or tables and chairs. Also, many of the private dining halls, also in the kitchen area, are currently unoccupied (I made more than I needed, plus the mayor is married to someone else who wanted a private dining table, so they share their dining halls for some reason I haven't yet worked out, and they're not whinging about it) so many dwarfs are dining in splendourous private dining halls downstairs. She just wanted... I don't know... breakfast offal in bed?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:22:28 pm »

1 special thing to mention. If your squads are training. Dont let them carry food or drinks. That way when eating theyll go to the dining hall, and get happy thoughts.

Wouldn't this take adjusting the carrying amounts back and forth if you have them on a schedule with both training and guard duty?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:28:58 pm »

Wouldn't this take adjusting the carrying amounts back and forth if you have them on a schedule with both training and guard duty?
Thats micromanagement, but can be done.

I always let them have food.  Id rather have them miss out on a few happy thoughts and not have them doing even more running about when they need to be killing things.

In fact, I do keep a small stockpile for a few things by each serviceable entrance to the fort.  Namely blocks, food, and ammo.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

jefam99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »

i prefer to build a barracks right next to my training rooms, so that they spend less time walking and more time training, and i let them keep their backpacks for the same reason. if i get unhappiness issues then i put statues up in the hallway between the barracks and the training rooms. i usually save the statues that are about dwarves killing things to put there.
The doomsday lever would look like any other.  It would be surrounded by the various levers needed in the day to day life of the fortress, such as irrigation or raising the main drawbridge or operating the noble shower chamber.  None of the levers would be labeled.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:28:38 pm »

i prefer to build a barracks right next to my training rooms,
That statement could be confusing to newbs. In DF training happens in the barracks; there are no "training rooms". What Jefam99's saying is he puts bedrooms assigned to his soldiers close to his barracks.

jefam99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 03:04:06 pm »

your right, sorry. i set my dwarves to train in rooms set by an armor stand, and sleep in rooms set with a bed. i keep them separate so that i can watch my dwarves sparring :)
The doomsday lever would look like any other.  It would be surrounded by the various levers needed in the day to day life of the fortress, such as irrigation or raising the main drawbridge or operating the noble shower chamber.  None of the levers would be labeled.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »

i keep them separate so that i can watch my dwarves sparring :)
That'd be totally cool if that isometric viewer animated sparring.

jefam99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »

i still watch them jump back and forth in the room, you can see any time someone dodges. plus, i channel around my sparring rooms and fill it with 3 deep water in order to train swimming. when someone falls in the sparring session ends, and i like to think of the one who fell as the loser. it's pretty easy for me to imagine them falling face first into a pile of mud.