Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 822 times)

aeroue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:03:00 am »

1) What do fortifications do?

2) Do weapons degrade? If so is it time or usage and do they slowly get worse or suddenly stop?

3) The leader of my swordsdwarfs got his arm crippled by one of his trainee recruits while sparring. It is red but that is his only injury. When/Will he recover.

Thanks  :D

I love this game but there is so much to learn.

Jandrews

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:23:00 am »

1) Fortifications allow your marksdwarfs to shoot out of the wall (like arrow slits).  I believe that they can shoot out while the enemy cannot shoot in.

2) At this time, I believe weapon degredation has not been implemented (but will likely be a future development).

3) That sounds like a bad injury.  I doubt his arm will ever heal, at least from my experience.  I had a swordsdwarf who had a bright-yellow leg injury.  He was tended to, fed, given water, and visited by friends for 2 years before I gave up hope on his recovery.  The best bet is to wait a season or two and see if there is improvement.  If not, lock the door and let him die.

aeroue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:34:00 am »

Bloody stupid recruit.

Thanks for the answers   :D

edit:

Q I now have a lizardman in a cage, what can I do with him? I think I read something about having a zoo. Otherwise how do i kill him

Q Will a crazy dwarf running round trying to kill people set off traps?

Q Does a bridge stop flooding?

Q When am I likely to be attacked by goblins?

Q Do dwarfs die of old age? If so when?

If anyone can answer these it would be great  :D

[ September 20, 2006: Message edited by: aeroue ]

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »

quote:
Q I now have a lizardman in a cage, what can I do with him? I think I read something about having a zoo. Otherwise how do i kill him

Just build the cage anywhere and define a room from it.

quote:

Q Will a crazy dwarf running round trying to kill people set off traps?

No, that's what your fortress guard's for.

quote:

Q Does a bridge stop flooding?

Depends. It will stop flooding from the river into corridors (if it sits "tightly" on the corridor entrance). But it will not stop water coming from the corridor to cross whatever it is spanning.

quote:

Not quite sure whether this is time,population or wealth dependent, but usually first goblin raiders show up around year 4 or 5. Proximity of goblin holds on the world map might influence this, too.

quote:

Q Do dwarfs die of old age? If so when?

Ageing is supposed to be implemented, but dwarves should have a significatly longer life-span than your maybe twenty years of fortress building.

aeroue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 01:36:00 pm »

Thanks

Jandrews

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 02:05:00 pm »

quote:
Will a crazy dwarf running round trying to kill people set off traps?

Some "crazy" dwarfs turn violent against other dwarves, but traps do not work against them.  Others become suicidal, and throw themselves off a bridge (into a chasm, river, or magma), or stop eating and drinking altogether.

quote:

From what I've experienced, this depends in the area you've settled (calm/haunted/wilderness), time, and relative wealth of your fortress (and perhaps population).  Basically, if you're getting a hoarde of dwarves immigrating to your fortress, the same factors (other than time) that influence immigration apply to invasion.  You'll get some light raids on your settlement (mostly thieves/kidnappers) at year 2-3, and at 4-5, you'll (perhaps) experience stiffer resistance.

I'm not entirely sure that you'll face goblins on every map.  I've always had to fight kobalds, but only once faced goblinkind.

quote:
Do dwarfs die of old age? If so when?

I've never seen it happen, but I'm sure it is implemented (animal death is in, after all).  However, you'll be hard pressed to keep your dwarf alive for this long without either ending the game or having the game be ended for you.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aeroue:
<STRONG>3) The leader of my swordsdwarfs got his arm crippled by one of his trainee recruits while sparring. It is red but that is his only injury. When/Will he recover.</STRONG>

Just for your information, the color coding for wounds is IIRC:
Light Gray (cuts and bruises) -> Brown (Badly Bruised) -> Yellow (Broken) -> Red (Mangled, minced into pulp) -> Dark Gray (Missing)
So as you can see, a red injury is pretty serious, and if it will ever heal (probably not), it will take a very long time
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

aeroue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 05:59:00 pm »

Q Is there such a thing as practice weapons in the game? To stop them crippling each other when sparring. - Haven't seen any but maybe I missed them...

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 07:40:00 pm »

Train them with crossbows up to at least "marksdwarf", then let them switch to other weapons, the stat gain from becoming average rank of a skill gives them enough toughness to usually survive sparring. And free stat points never hurt, in the long run, so the training time isnt waisted because marksdwarves train at 5-times the rate of other types.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 09:27:00 pm »

Using heavy armor and sticking to blunt weapons/wrestling seems to help keep sparring injuries to a minimum, too.

aeroue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 08:34:00 pm »

Will fortification only let you shoot out in one direction or all?

Not sure how it works whether it either lets your dwarves shoot out or lets people shoot from inside...

Thanks

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 09:36:00 pm »

Anyone, regardless of which side they're on and whether they're a dwarf or an enemy, can try and shoot through a fortification, but only people next to them will use them with any effectiveness.  So it's important to man your fortifications as soon as the enemy appears, and to position them so there won't be anyone immediately visible through them except the dwarves using them.

That said, enemies don't tend to use your fortifications against you very much.  I mean, running up to an enemy arrow slit and putting your eye to it is a sort of stupid thing to do most of the time...

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »

This is an old thread now, but I thought of a good way to keep invaders from getting up close to the fortifications. Run some water filled channels outside the fortified wall. That way enemies that cant swim cant get right next to them, while your troops can freely enjoy some live target practice.

I'm on my third map, and just found out about the sieges. My defenses never took that into the planning. And I have learned some crucial details about living space, and about how far oversizing rooms I have been doing. So I'm planning to start a fourth map, and this time laying things out with both these things in mind.

I'm thinking of mining off the first couple columns of rock from a long stretch of the cliff face, then indenting the 30 spaces north and south of the center by a few more spaces, and then making a 20 by 20 indent in the center of that. Maybe a bit smaller, I'm not sure what the archery range limit is, I never paid attention to find out. Anyway, then build fortifications into the out-facing walls, and the north-south facing walls. Put channels outside those, and then a line of traps on the other side of the channels. Normally you cant build traps outside, but if you indent the cliff some, then you are "inside the mountain", even tho its still outside your fortress. Just getting close to the indent should be hazardous to an invader's life. But once in it, you can be fired at from TWO directions, instead of just one. Then have drawbridges at the back of the indent, to pancake anything getting that close. That should take care of most problems. But Then add a second channel running next to the water channels, for a steam defense, for the really bad invasions.

Dont know if my skills are up to all of that, but it should be fun trying!   :D

ho watches those that watch us???