Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disabling Ghosts  (Read 1281 times)

IndiJosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Primulus
Disabling Ghosts
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:51:10 pm »

Hello Everyone!

Q: Is there a way to disable ghosts in a game?

Background: My very first caravan lost one of their guards when the idiot fell into a canyon river. He couldn't swim out as there was no path for him to swim out of. The river froze and he died and his body was destroyed. As per the wiki, caravan guards cannot be memorialized, only buried. However, since his body was destroyed when the river froze, I can't exactly bury him. It's been a couple years now and I have a pretty decent fortress going. I'm a big advocate for !FUN! but not if it's because of a bug. This bug has been around since the 2012 release and this is the first time I came across it. So, I turn to you fellow Urists, is there a way to disable ghosts completely in a started game? I'm playing Masterwork if that makes a difference. Thank you!
"Losing is fun."

www.primulusgame.com

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:30:05 am »

Well, first off the wiki says *some* caravan guards cannot be memorialized... you might be lucky.

Second, his remains probably were not "destroyed", only encased in ice. Due to another bug, items encased in ice may become invisible, but they should still appear on the stocks screen. If his body is still there, dig it out and use the bulk dump command to move it and make it visible again, then give him a proper burial.

Third, the dfhack command "tweak clear-ghostly" can remove a buggy ghost directly.

Fourth, I know of no way to disable ghosts entirely.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 05:08:44 am »

Have you actually tried making a slab and not just looked at the wiki?

The wiki is updated by players, so of necessity lags behind at times of intensive tweaks/additions/bugfixes.

According to http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5755 , the bug has been fixed for 0.40.9. I haven't chanced into a dead caravan guard yet, but could memorialise animalpeople and the like who fell victim to monster in-fighting in the caverns; afaik, those are deaths "unrelated" to the fort, presumably in the same way that deaths of caravan guards are.

IndiJosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Primulus
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:06:11 am »

Hello Urists and thank you for the help!

I should probably say that I have tried to memorialize him. His name does not show up. I also didn't realize this was fixed in the most recent version and I apologize for the previous misleading information. I'm actually playing Masterwork which is still using .34.11 (I believe). Finally, his body is no longer there. After the thawing the next summer, there was no body. Him and one of my bulls fell in and neither of them exist anymore.

Thank you for the suggestions, though. Loci, I'll try the DFHack when I get home this evening and report back then. Thank you both again for your help.
"Losing is fun."

www.primulusgame.com

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:16:05 am »

Ah, o.k.; in .34.11, dead caravan guards are indeed hard to impossible to memorialise.

A body captured in ice actually is "hidden", not gone. You can still reclaim it, but the process is rather weird, you have to locate it through the stocks screen; it will still be listed and you can zoom to its location, but will see nothing there. You'll have to order it "d"umped from the stocks screen and make sure the dwarfs will be able to access the location - e.g. by mining out the ice the body is caught in - and willing to handle "outside" refuse. Once the job is designated and taken, a dwarf will go and pick up the body, and from this point on it's again visible and you can handle it normally.

On the whole, it's probably less of a hassle to go through DFHack.

IndiJosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Primulus
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 03:06:01 pm »

Ah, o.k.; in .34.11, dead caravan guards are indeed hard to impossible to memorialise.

A body captured in ice actually is "hidden", not gone. You can still reclaim it, but the process is rather weird, you have to locate it through the stocks screen; it will still be listed and you can zoom to its location, but will see nothing there. You'll have to order it "d"umped from the stocks screen and make sure the dwarfs will be able to access the location - e.g. by mining out the ice the body is caught in - and willing to handle "outside" refuse. Once the job is designated and taken, a dwarf will go and pick up the body, and from this point on it's again visible and you can handle it normally.

On the whole, it's probably less of a hassle to go through DFHack.

Awesome! Thank you so much for this. I don't mind hassle. I'll look at it as a challenge. I'll try this before I hack him out. Thank you again.
"Losing is fun."

www.primulusgame.com

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:10:39 am »

note for future readers and anyone else too for that matter - always mention which version you play if it isnt the most current and any mods you might be using, and remember that tilesets may only be graphic mods, they are still mods
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

IndiJosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Primulus
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 04:17:50 pm »

Final Update: His body is gone. I had to use DFHack to get rid of him. Thank you all for your help.

CLOSED
"Losing is fun."

www.primulusgame.com

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:29 pm »

Glad you got rid of your unwanted floaty friend :) Just wanted to add that I had zombies shred apart two merchants, two guards, and their two pack horses.. The only ones that showed up to be memorialized were the two merchants and the two horses, guards were nowhere to be seen.. I do have two fancy horse slabs in my memorial hall now, though :D