Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I fix a dwarf that likes to age cheese?  (Read 2497 times)

faceshed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I fix a dwarf that likes to age cheese?
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:59:19 pm »

This isn't the first time. The last time she locked herself in the room with the rotting cheese and huffed the gas and made herself really unhappy. She's nice and happy now because she admired her cheeses all nice and laid out on the cave floor. Funny as it is she has a baby now and I can't. No. I just can't.

I'm not really sure how to remove it. Will I have to kill my yak to stop her from stealing all the meals and torturing her baby? Halp!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: How can I fix a dwarf that likes to age cheese?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:03:48 pm »

I don't . . . wha~? :o

Is this . . .

Its not the end of the world, but I dont think she would purposely lock herself into a room to . . . huff cheese?  No food should decompose so rapidly in a food stockpile and no dwarf should be idle if food is off of a food stockpile.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:05:39 pm »

Wait, she's stealing the cheese from the food stockpile and leaving it in her bedroom like a piece of clothing instead of eating it? 'Cause I was under the impression that dwarves had to eat their favorite foods to enjoy them.

Anyway, the cheese shouldn't rot if it's on a stockpile for food, so I guess you could designate the floor under the cheese as a food stockpile to see if that works.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

faceshed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:17:19 pm »

Is this . . .

Its not the end of the world, but I dont think she would purposely lock herself into a room to . . . huff cheese?  No food should decompose so rapidly in a food stockpile and no dwarf should be idle if food is off of a food stockpile.

Sorry I was doing a dramatic effect thing. She didn't lock herself in there as far as I know.

I wasn't watching that close the first time so I'm not sure how she smelled it, but there's some idle dwarves and no one cares that she's stashing cheese in her room.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:18:44 pm »

Is this . . .

Sorry I was doing a dramatic effect thing. She didn't lock herself in there as far as I know.

I wasn't watching that close the first time so I'm not sure how she smelled it, but there's some idle dwarves and no one cares that she's stashing cheese in her room.
ah.  LMeire had good advice.

EDIT:  oh at below.  That bug.  I only give important dwarves their own chairs and deconstruct/reconstruct food stuck on tables.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:32:53 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:31:27 pm »

This is a bug that's been around for a very long time.  People will claim food, get interrupted while eating, and leave it there.  But, because it's owned, nobody will ever move it or eat it, not even the person who owns it.

DFHack has a fix for this:

cleanowned scattered

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:00:49 pm »

I had a similar problem with rotten-on-fire-reindeer-cheese. Eventually built a wall around it, and the little "room" this has created is a lovely purple a lot of the time, two years onward, but there's no more smoke, finally. I think of it as my monument to the Forgotten Beast who originally set it on fire. And to dwarves who refuse to clean up refuse.

My problem is the three dwarf skeletons lying around, two in the forge area and one in the bedroom staircase. The dwarfs collecting them went mad when they were collecting them, and have subsequently died (we had no less than eight insanities, plus three melancholies) and even if they're marked to "dump" they still don't get shifted. They used to give off stench, but not any more. Any migrants go "BWAH" when they go past, the original population ignore them.

These skeletons aren't owned: Can I move them somehow?
...I've never used DFHack. I'm having enough Fun without it :D
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

faceshed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:04:35 pm »

This is a bug that's been around for a very long time.  People will claim food, get interrupted while eating, and leave it there.  But, because it's owned, nobody will ever move it or eat it, not even the person who owns it.

DFHack has a fix for this:

cleanowned scattered

Ah thanks. I guess it wouldn't do any good to leave her own personal stash there if she won't eat it.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:22 pm »

DFHack is a slippery slope! Addictive :> You could easily transport those bodies anywhere with the 'autodump' command, even create a single-tile pool of lava surrounded by a wall of obsidian to teleport-drop them into for cremation.. I also use DFHack to create indoor water or convenient smithing-magma sometimes, and use the obsidian-wall creator (its under the 'liquids' command, strangely :> ) to destroy ramps on the very outer edge of the map that're out of bounds to the miners, for retrieving items out of deep water, even changing a mineral layer over to flux-stone if I'm having trouble finding any..

I won't use it for what I consider "serious" cheating, though, like making massive amounts of candy.. I've also stopped using autodump to teleport clown-webs (cotton candy??) right next to the loom :> And I've given up dropping single tiles of lava out of the sky onto my enemies, which I've only done once in the newest version to see how a zombie holds up to having lava bombed onto it (they're pretty indifferent), not to mention it started a nice multi-z-level forest fire that I barely managed to extinguish by dropping water tiles out of the sky..

Anyway, its addictive :) Too helpful not to be.. Not to mention a good chunk of commands that can't even be considered cheaty at all.. On-topic, though, I wish one of my dwarves liked any kind of common cheese :| My baroness wants moghopper and parsnip wine :|

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 10:40:51 pm »

DFHack is a slippery slope! Addictive :> You could easily transport those bodies anywhere with the 'autodump' command, even create a single-tile pool of lava surrounded by a wall of obsidian to teleport-drop them into for cremation.. I also use DFHack to create indoor water or convenient smithing-magma sometimes, and use the obsidian-wall creator (its under the 'liquids' command, strangely :> ) to destroy ramps on the very outer edge of the map that're out of bounds to the miners, for retrieving items out of deep water, even changing a mineral layer over to flux-stone if I'm having trouble finding any..

I won't use it for what I consider "serious" cheating, though, like making massive amounts of candy.. I've also stopped using autodump to teleport clown-webs (cotton candy??) right next to the loom :> And I've given up dropping single tiles of lava out of the sky onto my enemies, which I've only done once in the newest version to see how a zombie holds up to having lava bombed onto it (they're pretty indifferent), not to mention it started a nice multi-z-level forest fire that I barely managed to extinguish by dropping water tiles out of the sky..

Anyway, its addictive :) Too helpful not to be.. Not to mention a good chunk of commands that can't even be considered cheaty at all.. On-topic, though, I wish one of my dwarves liked any kind of common cheese :| My baroness wants moghopper and parsnip wine :|

I find DFHack a near necessity, second only to Therapist.  DFHack just has so many bugfixes, UI improvements (Searching lists is neigh essential to a mature fort), and handy tweaks that it falls under essential for me.  It's just a bonus that it can also be used for bug-hunting the memory when things get all screwy.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 02:03:41 am »

Yeah, the ability to hit u -> l and get the mini-therapist interface is amazing. Planning mode for furniture. Being able to hotkey "autodump-destroy-here", plus general autodump utility.

Being able to use fastdwarf 0 0, or 0 1, or 1 0, or 1 1 when doing silly things like digging out four entire z levels around a living area to make the most of multilevel... which leads into twbt, which is flat out amazing.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 02:46:51 am »

I'm probably a total looser stick in the mud then {{shrug}} I haven't even got Therapist. I only recently (last week?) had someone tell me how to change my pop cap, and I've been playing this game for... years. Not the dorf sort of years either.  :-\  I do seem to remember messing with my pop cap before, years ago... I'm still loving the whole 3D Fort. Happiness!  :D

I probably should research some of these things like Therapist and use them one day, but I'm so happy with the fact that my water now does level numbers and my children don't outnumber my adults by a factor of ten after large disasters. :D :D  Do I really need anything more?  {{grin}}

Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 04:42:22 am »

I don't use therapist either actually, the dfhack labor gui (hit u then l) works great and has most of the functionality baked in.

If I really want to do all of the therapist stuff I'll poke around in gui/gm-editor, as much due to laziness as anything else.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:54:03 am »

The most useful tool in DFhack is probably the sticky cursor. If you loo(k) at something and then [ESC] and subsequently (q)uery the tasks you are _at the same building_, very nice to have. The (advanced) Units interface (u-l) is also very nice, especially I can now just let the lazy immigrants enter the map and then look at what they are good at and assign labours, squads, ...
I also wonder why the dorfs cannot age cheese. in the fortress one could have really good conditions for that, in France and Switzerladn there are huge caverns filled with cheese being aged, turned into formidable fromage like Comté, Gruyère, Carnotzet d'Aletsch, ... (great, now I'm hungry, fortunately there is some really close to being overly ripe sour milk cheese in my fridge that I have marinated yesterday, should be perfect tonight)
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 12:12:23 pm »

Make her floor a food stockpile that only takes from links (and then setup no links). She'll drop the cheese there and it won't rot since it's in a stockpile.

I mean yeah you can fix the problem with dfhack or whatever, but why ruin a perfectly good disfunctional behavior?
Pages: [1] 2