Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: odd animal farms  (Read 5330 times)

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
odd animal farms
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:23:40 pm »

I was wondering what people have had as their oddest animals in the meat farms?
In my current fort a pack of giant dingoes wandered onto the map, my trappers promptly captured the entire pack, after slaughtering all but one male the rest were trained and assigned to an inside area to get the breeding on. So hopefully my fort will soon have some lovely dingo meat and leather to use.

I know they arent the oddest animals to have as meat beasts, but still...
The Void shall consume all

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: odd animal farms
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 05:35:21 pm »

Think the weirdest thing I ever kept around for meat was giant thrips.

Mmm, thems's good eatin'!

Seriously, though, they were a bit of a pain to manage (they each only live one year), but work awesome for meat because they were born fully-grown and give upwards of 20 meat each.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:36:55 pm by Tacomagic »

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:37:34 pm »

Think the weirdest thing I ever kept around for meat was the giant thrips.

Mmm, they be good eatin'!

Seriously, though, they were a bit of a pain to manage (they each only live one year), but work awesome for meat because they were born fully-grown and give upwards of 20 meat each.

Nice, I bet they were very tasty bugs. Think though I am keeping a giant version of an animal that irl eats babies

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 05:50:01 pm »

giant thrip tallow soap was a thing in one of my forts for a while. The little things are incredibly fatty, or at least those ones were.

I'm using badger soap these days. Badgerbadgerbadgerbadger... We just hunt them constantly.

I take it butchering the Forgotten Beasts when they are finally dead doesn't count as farming. Good eatin' though!

I had three leopards (purchased from elves) once, but they were all the same gender... and I've been warned off taming and keeping the rhinos, they apparently eat too much.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:01:16 pm »

They require more food than they can eat like elephants.
I have thought about getting some Wild Boars for breeding stock...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:33:39 pm »

giant thrip tallow soap was a thing in one of my forts for a while. The little things are incredibly fatty, or at least those ones were.

I'm using badger soap these days. Badgerbadgerbadgerbadger... We just hunt them constantly.

I take it butchering the Forgotten Beasts when they are finally dead doesn't count as farming. Good eatin' though!

I had three leopards (purchased from elves) once, but they were all the same gender... and I've been warned off taming and keeping the rhinos, they apparently eat too much.

They USED to eat too much.  It should be fixed in 40.13 with the grazing rework.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:40:32 pm »

I used kakapos for a while in 1 fort. Then I had another fort settled in a jungle that had caught and tamed lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, and giant tigers. Good eating, and they could totally murder anything that came to attack the place.

Ive always wanted to capture some live whales though, breed them and use them for meat

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:01 pm »

I've got 4 chained blind cave trolls in one of my drawbridge pits, though I doubt I can slaughter them for meat.. They've managed a single blind cave troll baby over the past couple years.. I also have plump helmet men behind fortifications in my main hall, and another breeding operation for crundles though they haven't shown signs of reproduction yet.. If they don't breed I'll re-trap them and unleash them via lever in the daycare one at a time.. If they do breed.. same thing :D

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 02:22:27 am »

I used kakapos for a while in 1 fort. Then I had another fort settled in a jungle that had caught and tamed lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, and giant tigers. Good eating, and they could totally murder anything that came to attack the place.

Ive always wanted to capture some live whales though, breed them and use them for meat
Good value qs well, lions are worth what 200k each?

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 04:58:18 am »

I once had a functional Giant Eagle-based economy.

This time, for some reason the elves keep bringing Giant Spider Monkeys and two just had children so...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 05:16:15 am »

They USED to eat too much.  It should be fixed in 40.13 with the grazing rework.

Yep. My .40.13 reference rhino (imported by elves) has stayed alive and well for something like two years, apparently only needing part of the ~15x15 pasture.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 05:41:43 am »

I've had a pair of Giant Ticks. Too bad they both croaked of old age before they were tame enough to release into a breeding pen.

I also had a burgeoning War Rhinoceros training program, but their pasturing requirements make keeping any nontrivial number of the tropical behemoths a virtual impossibility.

Ostriches, however, take to breeding in captivity like Urist to ‼Fun‼; I have several adults at Tame status already, and a whole gaggle of chicks growing up in my subterranean breeding grounds.

Then there's a pair of Giant Hyenas, waiting to be tamed past Semi-Wild so I can turn them loose to make more of the enormous canids.

Oh, and by some miracle, a Giant Sparrow (♀) decided to land right on a cage trap. Here's hoping one of her wild brethren will get her eggs fertilized before they leave the map...

All in all, Sastres Anan is not so much a Dwarf Fortress as a wildlife research station.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:00:13 am »

I've had a pair of Giant Ticks. Too bad they both croaked of old age before they were tame enough to release into a breeding pen.

I also had a burgeoning War Rhinoceros training program, but their pasturing requirements make keeping any nontrivial number of the tropical behemoths a virtual impossibility.

Ostriches, however, take to breeding in captivity like Urist to ‼Fun‼; I have several adults at Tame status already, and a whole gaggle of chicks growing up in my subterranean breeding grounds.

Then there's a pair of Giant Hyenas, waiting to be tamed past Semi-Wild so I can turn them loose to make more of the enormous canids.

Oh, and by some miracle, a Giant Sparrow (♀) decided to land right on a cage trap. Here's hoping one of her wild brethren will get her eggs fertilized before they leave the map...

All in all, Sastres Anan is not so much a Dwarf Fortress as a wildlife research station.

Heh well ypu have a decent meat industry at least with variety...
My female giant dingoes have just given birth as well, a few females and a few males, the males will be slaughtered once they mature, which for GDingoes is a year, so yum...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:06:35 am »

In .34.11 I had an entire fort's meat industry based on breeding rutherers, supplemented by some demon meat (not farmed though!).

In my current fort I thought it would be a good idea to let crundles claim some nest boxes until I started getting messages like "Quattuordecuplets have hatched" and "many babies have hatched." I had build additional butcher shops to prevent crundlesplosion. I also had a successful Giant Tree Frog breeding program going for few years.

Lately I tried to tame and breed a pair of captured Minotaurs, but that wasn't for meat industry and ultimately failed anyway.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:20:25 am »

My current fort is surviving completely off of plump helmet wine and salt water crocodile egg meals. We're eating omelettes and wine.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3