Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [DISCUSSION & COMMENTS]  (Read 20849 times)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [DISCUSSION & COMMENTS]
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2014, 11:33:42 am »

Probably take a few hours to work out all the ins and outs of the separation.
 once I'm done with that portion of my turn.  Hopefully by late Sunday night.
That does bring to mind a question I'd had previously: Does this make the "Kings" captives in the mountain, or are they free to go as they please?

From my character's point of view, they are indeed prisoners of luxury.  They'll only leave the mountain for mining, construction, or to haul into/out of the neutral zone.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2014, 01:34:09 pm »

But the looks of things, I think Nord has one more post to make before I'm actually ready to get rocking on my stuff.  I'll hold back until he's done that.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »

From my character's point of view, they are indeed prisoners of luxury.  They'll only leave the mountain for mining, construction, or to haul into/out of the neutral zone.
Hmm... So no more fishing or gathering for Chimerat?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2014, 04:37:48 pm »

Hmm... So no more fishing or gathering for Chimerat?

For ease, I've been calling the domain of kings the "mountain," but the whole domain as it stands now actually consists of everything East of the brook.  So fishing and gathering should still be in the cards.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2014, 10:46:58 am »

Think I'm just gonna grab the bull by th horns on this one.  I'll have a post up with the election information within the next hour unless some kind of emergency crops up.

Gonna give the denizens of the mountain 24 hours to cast their vote so I can get playing.  Kinda crunched for time since I've got another succession game that will likely start this weekend so expect rather rapid progress on my turn once I get rolling.  I'll try to give 24 hours for RP journal entry updates between my seasonal posts, but I make no promises.

For reference, those allowed to vote in this round are:

Chimerat
Dhoor
TacoMagic
Nebline
Njneko
Nordinkel
tonnot98

Those whom I don't hear from within the 24 hour window will automatically cast an abstain vote.  In the case of a tie, I'll use random.org to pick the winner from those tied.

EDIT:  Additionally, I need two volunteers from the non-overseer dwarves that I can be allowed to utilize.  I need one who will be an antagonist to the arostocracy, and one who will be a sympathizer.  If nobody wants me to use their characters, I'll just use some of the random dwarves from the spring migration wave, but I'd prefer to use named.

Also, if there is anyone who still wants to be dwarfed, let me know.  I'll be more than happy to handle requests during my turn.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:57:50 am by Tacomagic »

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2014, 11:25:32 am »

I'd be happy to be the antagonist of the aristocracy, and get dorfed, probably as a newer migrant with a well-developed but not-very-useful skill like butcher or cheesemaker or dissection.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2014, 11:48:37 am »

I'd be happy to be the antagonist of the aristocracy, and get dorfed, probably as a newer migrant with a well-developed but not-very-useful skill like butcher or cheesemaker or dissection.

Awesome, thanks!  I'll see what shows up in the first migration.  I'm sure I'll be able to find a properly useless dwarf for you  ;).

Anyway, the update is up on the RP thread.  Cast your votes by 7PM CST (UTC-6) tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:55:41 am by Tacomagic »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2014, 02:28:30 pm »

I thought that TimelessBob was the antagonist towards the aristocracy? Or is this a different sort of antagonist? Also please don't put Skulls in the Mountain, she'll hate not being able to beat up whoever she wants ;)
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2014, 02:36:40 pm »

I thought that TimelessBob was the antagonist towards the aristocracy? Or is this a different sort of antagonist? Also please don't put Skulls in the Mountain, she'll hate not being able to beat up whoever she wants ;)
I needed a character that I could fully control.  Timless is doing his own journal entries, so he's off limits.  Likely Timeless will take some cues from what I plan to do with Omega.  I think there will be some neat interractions ahead.

I wasn't going to be casting my vote for Skulls, and I doubt anyone else will either ;).

However, Skulls is kind of a strange situation right now.  The rooms Nordi carved out for the sheriff are within the confines of the Mountain burrow; so, technically speaking, Skulls already is a mountain resident.  That's on my rather robust list of things to fix unless Skulls is elected to ascend.  It's a tricky situation because sheriffs require moderate furnishing; so it may have to wait until high-value statues exist to be placed in Skulls' rooms.  Likely she was put in that spot because it represents an easy way to meet the sheriff's room requirements.

Even so, I shall have to make sure Nordinkel faces appropriate punishment for so directly violating the doctrine.  I have some plans along those lines already.

If Skulls ends up as part of the Mountain proper, I think the position of Sheriff will remain one of direct oversight.  Perhaps one of the few that involve daily, direct interraction with Western Glovedloved.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:38:45 pm by Tacomagic »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »

Ah ok I see. I sorta hijacked the dojo btw :P Seems like the sort of thing a violent Sheriff who's just been kicked out of her quarters would do. In case it wasn't obvious, TimelessBob is supposed to be the one who got away from the hostile takeover. Could we maybe get a z-screen, just to see what's going on in the fort plox? :D
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2014, 03:35:20 pm »

Ah ok I see. I sorta hijacked the dojo btw :P Seems like the sort of thing a violent Sheriff who's just been kicked out of her quarters would do. In case it wasn't obvious, TimelessBob is supposed to be the one who got away from the hostile takeover. Could we maybe get a z-screen, just to see what's going on in the fort plox? :D

Yeah, once I actually start my turn, I'll be doing a "state of the fort" post with all the critical areas and stocks.  Will be starting tonight.  Hopefully I'll be able to get all of spring done and posted.

I actually hadn't planned on evicting you, but I'll run with it.  Have to produce some statues or something so your dwarf doesn't go crazy from not having sufficiently nice rooms.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:38:15 pm by Tacomagic »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2014, 06:33:02 pm »

I actually hadn't planned on evicting you, but I'll run with it.  Have to produce some statues or something so your dwarf doesn't go crazy from not having sufficiently nice rooms.
Odd... My game has a Queen living in the starting 7 (I think she was promoted in year 5?) and no one has a proper room yet. So far she's just happy that she's allowed to make her Chains... Quite the collection. :-\

Do Dwarves only get jealous if other Dwarves have equal or better furnishings?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »

Odd... My game has a Queen living in the starting 7 (I think she was promoted in year 5?) and no one has a proper room yet. So far she's just happy that she's allowed to make her Chains... Quite the collection. :-\

Do Dwarves only get jealous if other Dwarves have equal or better furnishings?

Noble Dwarves without proper holdings can get bad thoughts, but it depends a lot on the personality I think.  Nobles without good rooms are typically easy enough to counteract just by legendary dining rooms and the like.  It's also possible your queen has some of the traits that make her resistant to disappointment.  I had a king in one of my forts that was appointed from the local population, went crazy after 6 months because of the bad thoughts from not having rooms befitting his title.  All this despite having otherwise great surroundings, ample booze, and great food.  On the other hand, I once got a count to the coveted "doesn't really care about anything anymore" point. He was satisfied with just a 1x3 room with a bed in it.

The whole situation is a more volatile at Glovedloved.  Most of the dwarves not in the starting 7 are on their way toward unhappiness and there are no legendary surroundings to give the mood boosts you get in a normal fort.  A sheriff that's grumpy because he doesn't think he has enough armor stands could very easily make this whole powder keg blow up into a spiral.

Skulls is especially problematic because she's actually the closest to snapping right now due to existing bad thoughts related to not having a working justice system.  She's also the only one armed with a decent weapon.  Since there is no way to seal off the Mountain right now, Skulls going berserk would be absolutely game-ending.

As it is, morale is so low right now we're literally just one werebeast or kobold attack from the whole thing falling apart.  Which is why I'll have to work quickly to get the new airlock and neutral zone built.  If nothing else, being able to seal up the mountain will protect the Kings from the inevitable spiral that's forming in the slums right now.

It's actually kind of exciting.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:54:00 pm by Tacomagic »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2014, 10:14:24 pm »

If you want you could make me a supporter of the government...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2014, 11:56:28 pm »

If you want you could make me a supporter of the government...

Awesome, thanks!  You are now the Tax Collector of GlovedLoved.  Now I have all I need to get started.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my first season completed this evening due to a grumpy, sick child that decided he didn't want to sleep.  Such is life.

However, I was still able to write the "status of the fort" post, so I'll toss that up as a preamble.  Turned out longer than I'd anticipated, so that was part of the reason why I didn't get to doing spring.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17