Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [DISCUSSION & COMMENTS]  (Read 20860 times)

Yesaja

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy Lamia Lover
    • View Profile
Re: Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [DISCUSSION & COMMENTS]
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2014, 09:43:22 am »

I'd want some more informations for us peasants.

For example, you used the phrase "revolutionist-leader", yet - since no peasant acts as an overseer - how is this supposed to even happen?
By random journal entries? (o;

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2014, 09:49:54 am »

For example, you used the phrase "revolutionist-leader", yet - since no peasant acts as an overseer - how is this supposed to even happen?
By random journal entries? (o;
I'd read it as them wanting to change the status quo. Obviously they can't change it completely in a year, but they can start to set the groundwork.
(For example, they can only dig a certain distance beneath the ground, but I can see someone seeking to "accidentally" breach the Fortress.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:53:49 am by Chimerat »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:49 am »

The peasants will, as their resources grow, become more ambitious.
They will attempt to sabotage the fort from the outside, perhaps by belaying caravans or starting wars with other races.
This can also be done by contaminating possible water supplies.

Additionally, the mountain dwarves can engineer a system by which a forgotten beast can gain access to the surface, but not the fort.
This can be used to punish any subordination.

These are possible ways to play the two factions off against each other, though outright breaching the fort will spoil the fun for those who are yet to play.

EDIT:Thought of a question.
If all the dwarves in the mountain are to die of some mishap, how will this be handled?
Should a new fort be started, or only 7 migrants allowed to enter the fortress, or will they all be able to rush in, with subsequent waves once again becoming peasants?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:08:13 am by EinsteinSatDown »

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »

every dwarf who dies on the mountain is replaced with an additional immigrant after the year is done.

In the improbable case in which all mountain dwarves die, it's up to the peasants to establish a new order.

The correct way (100% according to the metagame) would be, however, to have 7+(years played) new dwarves ascending to the mountain, filling up all the vacant slots.

i could imagine a whole different scenario taking place though. All Nobles dying will most likely set the tone for the endgame, and the new order established that way would mark the end of the Story (giving room for sequels with a different ruleset maybe?)

I'd want some more informations for us peasants.

Generally, in succession games, the power of people who don't take a turn as overseer is fairly limited and not exactly fully in your own hands, given the chaotic demeanor of dwarves in general.
Yesaja, however, might very well create an artifact and some point, join one of the Dojos, kill some fearful creature or be a hero protecting the people from a siege - which would, ultimately, give him a place on the mountain eventually.

She could also die a horrible death after one and a half years and that's it.

Roleplaying in succession games mostly serves to give the story additional flavor and liveliness, and to aid overseers in playing out exactly that (as you will see with for example Doc Timeless and Skulls when i post chapter 3). that way, you can take influence in the big things withut getting to actually play the fort for a year.

EDIT:

ALSO, neblime and Tacomagic, could you get in contact about whom of you takes year 2? Taco mentioned something about fixing the burrows and job cancellation issues, which are really, really annoying and need much gamey and unfun micromanagement at the moment because i fail at DF.

so please let us know whether you can fix those horrible issues yourself, or you don't mind them, or would like taco to handlle the issue first and play his year, or whatever compromise there is.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:15:57 pm by Nordinkel »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2014, 02:30:25 pm »

Neblime is ahead of me in line, so if he wants that trouble, it's his.  Otherwise I'm completely fine doing the streamlining.  Most of the streamlining happens outside of the actual gameplay due to it being largely stockpile settings, burrowing, and hauling routs, so it doesn't really affect the actual play so much as just being a pain that you have to spend an hour or two doing it while the game is paused.

Whomever does do the streamlining should post the workings of the system on this forum.  That way we're all clear on how things operate and how additional stuff can be added without the whole thing falling apart.

The biggest issue we'll run into is that, while things can be optimized quite a bit, there's almost no way to stop the cancellation spam entirely without forbidding all manufacturing and mining within the inner fortress.  We'll just have to learn to live with a certain degree of cancellation.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 03:00:24 pm by Tacomagic »

Yesaja

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy Lamia Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2014, 03:31:57 pm »

Generally, in succession games, the power of people who don't take a turn as overseer is fairly limited and not exactly fully in your own hands, given the chaotic demeanor of dwarves in general.
Yesaja, however, might very well create an artifact and some point, join one of the Dojos, kill some fearful creature or be a hero protecting the people from a siege - which would, ultimately, give him a place on the mountain eventually.

She could also die a horrible death after one and a half years and that's it.

So the most likely outcome of being a normal peasant - which, at this point, everyone is, except they'll get voted into the mountain - is to die. After that, you'll have to get dorfed again and get into some new character? I'm fine with that, to be honest, but the roleplay-activity should get some sort of... points, to be acknowledged. Or is idling and waiting for the own dwarf to be amazing as good as roleplay itself, if you're not an overseer?

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:18 pm »

Generally, the more content in form of journals and RPing you create, the more insight we get into your character and the more we can work with the character, which in turn means she has a greater chance to get more screentime in actual player turns.

Chapter Three is out, more to come very soon.

i have seriously underestimated the size of my posts for the whole year. I may be overdoing it a little.

I can't just post everything i have though, because i'm constantly tweaking and rewriting stuff based on your journals. The whole thing gets at least 80% livelier because of you guys.

tanks for that, and your patience.

MORE TO COME VREY SOON

i'm srsly drunk and multitasking with drunk fortress. Spellchecking is a serious effort for me right now.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:46:52 pm by Nordinkel »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2014, 07:01:35 pm »

Chapter Three is out, more to come very soon.

i have seriously underestimated the size of my posts for the whole year. I may be overdoing it a little.

I can't just post everything i have though, because i'm constantly tweaking and rewriting stuff based on your journals. The whole thing gets at least 80% livelier because of you guys.
Cool. :) I'm very glad to see you working around our posts. Otherwise it would seem a bit pointless.
Also, does Chimerat have a Kitchen and Still in her room, or are those attached to the Fields?

i'm srsly drunk and multitasking with drunk fortress. Spellchecking is a serious effort for me right now.
That is rather amusing when I consider Chimerat's comment on a "slip of the tongue". ;)
Best of luck not burning the Drunken Fortress to the ground!

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:40 pm »

ahahaha, yes. thanks for pointing to that xD

i was actually telling my roommate of the amazing story that Gemclod is while writing up that post..

I'm considering just leaving that freudian slip in there for laughs. it would actually fit to the theme of Nordinkel being posessed by the spirit of some ancestor while holding speeches  :D

EDIT: Nordinkel would not trade any roasts as of now, because they are simply too great. they can'T have them unless there is a huge abundance of them.

You can either have a kitchen or a still in our room. at the moment, they are situated near the dining hall, but that can change.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:10:34 pm by Nordinkel »

Yesaja

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy Lamia Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 24, 2014, 02:13:17 am »

Generally, the more content in form of journals and RPing you create, the more insight we get into your character and the more we can work with the character, which in turn means she has a greater chance to get more screentime in actual player turns.

In that case, I'll just continue to post journal-entries, as soon as I see something my character can relate to.
The fey mode, for example. :D

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2014, 02:49:31 am »

So the most likely outcome of being a normal peasant - which, at this point, everyone is, except they'll get voted into the mountain - is to die. After that, you'll have to get dorfed again and get into some new character? I'm fine with that, to be honest, but the roleplay-activity should get some sort of... points, to be acknowledged. Or is idling and waiting for the own dwarf to be amazing as good as roleplay itself, if you're not an overseer?

Ah, reincarnation my old friend, for we are not peasants, but the dead in limbo, awaiting our chance to go through those heavenly gates...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2014, 08:01:47 am »

I'm considering just leaving that freudian slip in there for laughs. it would actually fit to the theme of Nordinkel being posessed by the spirit of some ancestor while holding speeches  :D
It's canon now! ;D

Nordinkel would not trade any roasts as of now, because they are simply too great. they can'T have them unless there is a huge abundance of them.

You can either have a kitchen or a still in our room. at the moment, they are situated near the dining hall, but that can change.
Excuses, excuses. ;) And Chimerat would be fine without either of them in her room. She wants a cage in there. With one of the tapir men in it so she can admire his floppy nose, or a elephant-head amaranthe for that interesting leaf colouration.
(I'm not quite sure if she prefers any metals, or just stones, but if she does, then the bid would be for a cage made of that metal.  :P )

Yesaja

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy Lamia Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2014, 08:18:10 am »

Ah, reincarnation my old friend, for we are not peasants, but the dead in limbo, awaiting our chance to go through those heavenly gates...

*Sits in a corner of the room, rocking back and forth* All a lie, all a lie, all a lie, all a lie...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2014, 10:12:14 am »

"Please", i walk up to the manically looking Dwarf, "We need this workshop to make toy boats. Go back to your village."

I have no idea why, but this made me laugh like a maniac for about five minutes.

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2014, 06:27:35 pm »

i have just belatedly celebrated my birthday and 3 people came crashing in to the additional 3, that made us seven.

that's two days straight of drinking, and i feel sober. I think i am slowly mutating into a Dwarf.

You can expect another entry (which should be the second to last one) in the next 24 hours.
by then, my internet is fixed so everything will go much smoother from now on.

whohoo, i made somebody laugh. i can go to sleep happily now. :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17